The Student Room Group

Is it because i'm Chinese?

Scroll to see replies

This thread has brought all sorts of weirdos out.
:lol:
Original post by Mr Smurf
Easy, seeing such a couple with my own eyes in person.

I struggle to believe that you've never seen a couple consisting of an oriental male with a white female. I think it's much more likely that you are in denial and whenever you see this pairing you tell yourself that they cannot possibly be together because you have convinced yourself that white girls are never attracted to oriental men.

Whereabouts do you live? Are you at uni?

I agree that it's not the most common pairing to see and you're much more likely to find an oriental girl with a white male. But however much you want to deny it, it exists. I've seen quite a few couples around Birmingham uni, and a Chinese friend on my course has also managed fine. I am also Chinese (British born) and am in just over a year long relationship with a British (white) girl. Before that the very few girls I got with were pretty evenly split between white, oriental and brown Asians.
I could say "is it because I'm asian" . I don't think people place that much emphasis on race anymore. People obviously have their preferences but I don't think that being Chinese is a sole reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Flyingaround
I have never heard that word used among any of my asian friends.

Then you must be Indian

:biggrin:
Original post by Zenomorph
Then you must be Indian

:biggrin:

british lol
Original post by Anonymous
In honest opinion, I'm not here fishing for compliments or sympathy, this is a genuine problem that I'm having and some genuine advice would reassure me.
I'm a British born Chinese girl, 5'3 and I wouldn't say I was ugly but I'm definitely not pretty - just below average.
So having been living in the UK for all my life, I've always been a victim of racial bullying that was until I got into university. I think being called 'chinky' n all the **** has literally lowered my self esteem. And I've always felt ugly next to my friends whereby guys always choose them over me like being partners or such. i was always the one left with no partner until a friend's would feel sorry for me and be my partner. I've never really had a boyfriend, been asked out or even kissed. I've tried internet dating, but realistically, I findthey don't work out. I have penty of male friends but I always find myself friendzoned or they end up liking my friend's. I am a sociable person but its like guys never ask for my number or show any interest. I'm already 20 so I'm beginning to feel like there's something wrong with the way I look. I'm fashionable, don't wear tonns of makeup, play games, watch anime, smart. I'm currently studying a respectable degree, I drink n all that but I've literally got nothing and its making me feel like ill forever be alone.
There must be a reason why I'm getting no guys. I'm not desperate, its the fact that everyone around me can easily get someone...I've liked a few guys but they just don't return the feelings and I know it can't be forced.

Lol story of my life! (male and same age... quite the coincidence xD) :jumphug:
Tbh you sound like my type since we have common interests :P

I never really compared my looks to my friends since they're a completely different race haha, unless they are oriental ofc but I don't think it's your looks, maybe your just not their type so don't be so hard on yourself :smile:

Im no expert but im assuming your friends are white? Since its pretty difficult finding other bbcs in the UK(I only have a small pocket of bbc friends)

In my opinion, I think you not being their type is a big factor, however ethnicity is a hurdle some people are wary/afraid of crossing.

Being raised in a different social/cultural norm people tend to feel more comfortable with our own familarities (can be said with all ethnicities, etc), dating someone from a different background is like adding a whole new set of rules which you aren't familiar to the game (don't know if that's the best way to put it).
So they will either go for it or just back away. This is why I think it is more difficult finding a relationship with a different race than your own.

I am not saying it's impossible; as some people have witnessed the odd interracial couple, it is just unlikely.

However (Totally contradicting myself but who cares!) Maybe the guys you like are too dense to know, as the saying goes 'if you want something done, do it yourself', sometimes you gotta take the initiative and see where it takes you :smile:, if they're not interested I guess it's just time to move on.

Like you, I have not given up. I just be myself, have fun and not sweat the little stuff.
(Add oil - if you get me) :yep:

This is from what I have gathered in my experiences, so don't chew me to bits TSR! XD
I'd also like to apologise for the big block of text, it looks massive on my phone!! Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
*Cue the typical generalisations, racism and prejudice*
Funny how so many non British people on this thread are slamming the UK for being racist, yet they're the only ones being racist on here. Its like they think racism is exclusive to them, and they can say what the hell they want about British people and not consider themselves racist!

Mr Smurf reminds me of Elliot Rodgers who went on a shooting spree because girls didn't fancy him. The same sense of entitlement. The stupid thing is that Elliot Rodgers was actually a decent looking guy, but his attitude stank and he just didn't seem to grasp the fact that maybe girls didn't flock to him because he was a weirdo up his own arse. Take note, "Mr Smurf."

OP, maybe you're just going for the wrong kind of guys? Also, you seem to meet most guys whilst out with your friends, have you tried meeting people on your own e.g.. joining a society or club without all your friends being there? Plus constantly feeling rejected is going to take a toll on your self confidence, it would with anyone - so first and foremost be confident in yourself as an attractive woman!

One last thing - don't fall hook line and sinker for someone just because they're the first to come along and say they like you. I made that mistake, and he turned out to be the biggest tosser I'd ever met. I know it's nice to have that 'special someone' but relationships aren't everything, you have good friends, you're at uni and from your post you seem to be enjoying life as a whole so don't let this one thing get you down, trust me men aren't all they're cracked up to be, they're bloody hard work haha

If you want someone to critique your style you can pm me a pic, only if you want though, as I know some creepy types asked you earlier on here lol :s-smilie:
Original post by shawn_o1
...(Yes, I am Chinese, born in a country where Chinese is the main language)

There is no such language called Chinese, just like there's no such language called British, Indian...!
There are many 'Chinese' (Sinitic) languages such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, etc! :facepalm:
you are still young. Don't be in a hurry to grow up.your time will come don't worry.just try to relax.haha come to America and I'll date you.I like Asian girls.
Imma BBC and I've experience plenty of overt and subtle racism by every race in the UK. That's why I've emmigrated to the PRC and never experienced one case of racism; and everything else is fantastic! :biggrin:
Original post by LaughingBro
There is no such language called Chinese, just like there's no such language called British, Indian...!
There are many 'Chinese' (Sinitic) languages such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Hakka, etc! :facepalm:

Out of all the Chinese languages, Mandarin is the only one that the rest of the world recognizes (which is why people refer to it as simply "Chinese"). The rest are all confined to the area which speaks it
Reply 152
Original post by LaughingBro

The written language is the same, it is pronounced differently.
Original post by Flyingaround
british lol

British Indian you mean :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending