The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FutureSurgeon
Thanks so much! Adding that to my application as we speak! Also, as you didn't have this job yet at the time of application and interviews, what did you say when asked what you were planning to spend your gap year doing?

I had the temp job in records, so I spoke about that. I had a few bits of work experience planned and some more volunteering so that was all on there too. Then I spoke about my new job at interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone done the UKCAT practice test on the UKCAT website and found it harder than in the books? The quantitative and verbal reasoning sections were ridiculously difficult.......
Original post by Strikesthirteen
I went on Medify and it improved my UKCAT by 50 points. Saying that, your UKCAT was still better than my second take!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, yeah I tried medify last year, maybe I didn't use it enough and if you don't mind me asking what was your 2nd take score and did you mange to get a place in a med school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blissfully
thanks, yeah I tried medify last year, maybe I didn't use it enough and if you don't mind me asking what was your 2nd take score and did you mange to get a place in a med school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My UKCAT was 670 and I got an unconditional offer at Keele for Medicine with A*ABa

Posted from TSR Mobile
My UKCAT was 670 and I got an unconditional offer at Keele for Medicine with A*ABa

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wow, congrats! I didn't know they allowed a B even with an A* how recent was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh wow, congrats! I didn't know they allowed a B even with an A* how recent was this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keele have allowed that for at least 2 years, but I'm not sure if anyone else does :smile: I was very lucky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys I know this is a long shot but is there any med schools that accept retakes (into a 3rd year) without extenuating circumstances?
Original post by ChemBoss
guys I know this is a long shot but is there any med schools that accept retakes (into a 3rd year) without extenuating circumstances?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
Reply 4608
Hello guys,

One of my friend contacted some dentistry uni's and he said that there are slim chances like 1% of getting into dentistry via adjustment, because there were no January exams in A-Levels so grades are likely to fall. For this reason he has booked his UKCAT on 13th August as results are on 14th as he might be able to tell unis his results on phone (more recent ones). But it may seem really silly because the UKCAT scores that will be counted should be the one that he took last year. SO the question is, is it best for him to post-pone his UKCAT exam and prepare for the result day or to stick with the plan ?

WHAt would you do, if you were at his place ?

Please help, much appreciated.

Each answer will get a rep
Original post by Shiam
Hello guys,

One of my friend contacted some dentistry uni's and he said that there are slim chances like 1% of getting into dentistry via adjustment, because there were no January exams in A-Levels so grades are likely to fall. For this reason he has booked his UKCAT on 13th August as results are on 14th as he might be able to tell unis his results on phone (more recent ones). But it may seem really silly because the UKCAT scores that will be counted should be the one that he took last year. SO the question is, is it best for him to post-pone his UKCAT exam and prepare for the result day or to stick with the plan ?

WHAt would you do, if you were at his place ?

Please help, much appreciated.

Each answer will get a rep

He's right. If he wants to get into clearing, medical schools will 100% look at the UKCAT he sat LAST YEAR.

UKCAT 2014 is for 2015 entry ONLY.

So postpone the UKCAT till after results day. It's highly unlikely he'll get in through clearing but I know a girl who got into Bristol dentistry school last year by calling them up!
Reply 4610
Original post by OnionRing
He's right. If he wants to get into clearing, medical schools will 100% look at the UKCAT he sat LAST YEAR.

UKCAT 2014 is for 2015 entry ONLY.

So postpone the UKCAT till after results day. It's highly unlikely he'll get in through clearing but I know a girl who got into Bristol dentistry school last year by calling them up!

Thanks very much for the reply mate !!

Is it same for medicine like ?
Original post by Shiam
Thanks very much for the reply mate !!

Is it same for medicine like ?

No worries!

Yeah with medicine, it's the same. Unlikely but if you call up on results day then they may consider you. I did this last year with kings 6 year course and Plymouth a100.
Kings didn't take me in the end but Plymouth were going to invite me to interview until I told them my UKCAT which was below their cutoff :frown:
No worries!

Yeah with medicine, it's the same. Unlikely but if you call up on results day then they may consider you. I did this last year with kings 6 year course and Plymouth a100.
Kings didn't take me in the end but Plymouth were going to invite me to interview until I told them my UKCAT which was below their cutoff :frown:

What exactly did you say when you rung them up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I know it's very unlikely to get in through clearing but I figure I have nothing to lose by calling on results day anyway, however, I'm not sure which med schools to call! So my question is as follows:

If you're going to ring up on results day, how would you decide which medical schools to ring up? Would you ring up all 31? Or just the 4 you applied to? Or just the ones (or one) that gave you an interview?

Thanks in advance!
I had the temp job in records, so I spoke about that. I had a few bits of work experience planned and some more volunteering so that was all on there too. Then I spoke about my new job at interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ta for the response 👌
No worries!

Did you call up kings and plymouth because you applied to them and had a rejection from them or were they just choices because you liked the university?
Original post by FutureSurgeon
Yes I know it's very unlikely to get in through clearing but I figure I have nothing to lose by calling on results day anyway, however, I'm not sure which med schools to call! So my question is as follows:

If you're going to ring up on results day, how would you decide which medical schools to ring up? Would you ring up all 31? Or just the 4 you applied to? Or just the ones (or one) that gave you an interview?

Thanks in advance!

also really curious about which unis to call up, considering there is nothing to lose
Did you call up kings and plymouth because you applied to them and had a rejection from them or were they just choices because you liked the university?

I had an interview at kings before but was rejected post int. I never applied to Plymouth .

I suggest calling up the unis you were rejected post interview, then call unis you applied then call everyone apart from Oxbridge.
Also check their websites the day before as some medical schools will state clearly that they won't be in clearing.

It'll get busy and you won't be the only one calling up so good luck:smile:
I had an interview at kings before but was rejected post int. I never applied to Plymouth .

I suggest calling up the unis you were rejected post interview, then call unis you applied then call everyone apart from Oxbridge.
Also check their websites the day before as some medical schools will state clearly that they won't be in clearing.

It'll get busy and you won't be the only one calling up so good luck:smile:

Thanks, I'll give it a go! did you manage to get the grades but held no offers at the time? and what made you call Plymouth then?
Thanks, I'll give it a go! did you manage to get the grades but held no offers at the time? and what made you call Plymouth then?

Yeah I got the grades but held no offers so I gave it a shot .
I called Plymouth because I didn't think it would be oversubscribed as much.
I think prestigious universities like imperial and ucl might not work but less prestigious unis might yield better results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending