The Student Room Group

What language do you think in?

Poll

What language do you think in?

Curious to know what language or languages you think in?

** POLL ATTACHED AS WELL **

I do apologise in advance if your language is not on the poll. A slight issue when we have over 4000 languages in the world and the poll only accommodates 16 entries. Hopefully i've covered all my bases and your option is there.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
**Bump**
Enochian.
Reply 3
i think in... gangsta....
English, Spanish, Afrikaans mixture.
Reply 5
Original post by Iggy Azalea
English, Spanish, Afrikaans mixture.

So how does that work? What determines which one you think in at a particular moment in time?
Original post by godd
So how does that work? What determines which one you think in at a particular moment in time?

I tend to think in English for most of the time, but as soon as I hear any Spanish my mind starts to wonder into Spanish and it tends to stick like that. The same applies to a lesser extent to Afrikaans.
Reply 7
**bump**
Reply 8
**bump II **
Reply 9
It's not on there.
Reply 10
Original post by Stinkum
It's not on there.

I've covered all options! :wink:

But which language is it?
I think in American 100% of the time.
Reply 12
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Mostly spanish because it's my mother tongue even though I was born and have grown up in the UK.

Surely if you were born and grew up in the UK and went to an english medium school, your English would be much stronger than your Spanish you picked up from home?

Unless you went back to Spain/Mexico/South America and schooled there a bit?
Reply 13
depends who im talking too, to the fam in guarani and when at college in english, im fluent in 4 languages so as im typing now im thinking in english as i have to answer in english
Reply 14
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Actually, no. I'm perfectly bilingual. I obviously picked up english in school, but at home I am only allowed to speak in spanish to my parents which forced my siblings and I to master both languages. I have never been schooled in Spain although we do go back regularly to visit family.

I don't think anyone is perfectly bilingual, there is always one language dominant over the other. So why do you think in spanish over english?
I think in both English and French with French being my go to when I'm angry at someone.
Original post by godd
I don't think anyone is perfectly bilingual, there is always one language dominant over the other. So why do you think in spanish over english?

No some people are. People who have been introduced to two languages from a very early age can be perfectly bilingual.
I normally think in English but at home after speaking to my mum I think in Spanish and sometimes when I'm annoyed or pissed off I think in Spanish..
Reply 18
Original post by Calllu-m
No some people are. People who have been introduced to two languages from a very early age can be perfectly bilingual.

I think the only way someone can be perfectly bilingual is if they are educated through a process called "bilingual education". Where they are taught subjects such as maths and chemistry in both languages.

If you speak a language at home and speak another in school, I can bet my house the language you speak in school will be stronger. Thus you would think in your dominant language i.e. the one from school.
Reply 19
The language of love :love:

:colonhash: lol

Quick Reply

Latest