The Student Room Group

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
1) How was year 11 for you?
For me year 11 went by really quickly, it wasnt extremely stressful until the end of the year , we done most coursework from the start of the year until about febraury. some of it was a rush but others were pretty simple to complete in the time period given , when you leave its weird knowing youve left school and after prom it all becomes real.

2) How many exams did you sit?
i sat around 15 written exams and 3 physical for spots studies (but i was excused from 1 due to injury) i done course work in health and social care and product design , and controlled assessments in english which are basically coursework.

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
Start revising as soon as you have the time !!! i left mine all until the night before each exam and i regret it sooo badly ! some of the things we werent taught in detail so i didn really revise them and typically they were on the exam, so id just say revise all of it ! id also say use more than one revision source because it does help you remember more clearly. and finally id say dont get too excited for prom its not worth it , i got way too excited and it was over before i knew it and now im quite gutted about it, try to get a dress you can wear again because mine is just sitting there andim dying to wear it again, i could probably wear mine to a wedding but i dont really have the confidence.

i hope this helps :smile: x
Reply 121
How was year 11 for you?
- Year 11 was an immense year for me. Full of support from both parents, teachers and the wider community! When people see something special in someone who was not doing as well as they should, they do all in their power to help them! Don't forget that:P

How many exams did you sit?
- Too many, but this was because I didn't do as-well as I should have in year 10 because of distractions. The stress was okay, but i injured my hand making me need a scribe to write my exams for me which was the most stressful thing ever!

What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
- REVISE! REVISE! REVISE!
1. I started in November of 2013 and didn't go out a lot at all. Once every two weeks maybe?
2. Take breaks while revising to loosen up your joints and muscles, drink buckets of water to stay hydrated and keep you awake while studying.
3. Create a study plan that you should follow religiously. this will be the best way o know exactly what you're doing and when you should be doing it.
4. DON'T REVISE IN BED. Revise sitting on the floor or at a desk, if you don't, you'll get lazy and won't work the way you should be working!

100% effort has to be put in at all times.

Live long, god bless and good luck to those who are receiving their results this year or preparing for their exams next year!
(edited 9 years ago)
Revise from February-ish. Don't lose your notes or school work. Take January mocks seriously, it will mean less work later. Be realistic about revision don't do more than five hours of revision a day during the exams themselves. Don't revise on the day of your exams as you will panic yourself.
If you are in year 10 going into year 11:
1) What GCSE's are you taking?
Welsh Literature, Welsh Language, English Literature (Unit 1 done in Year 10, but have to re-sit :unimpressed: ) , English Language, Maths, Additional Science (Did my 3 Science exams in Year 10) Art, Spanish, History (Did 1 exam in Year 10), RE Short Course, ICT and PE Short Course

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
Umm.. Think it's going to be tough, but I feel pumped for it!! Last year wasn't great, especially mocks! Predictions are A's, I got D's and E's :s-smilie:

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?
I am actually! I want to get GCSEs over and done with them go to college :smile:
Original post by ebrodgers
Revise from February-ish. Don't lose your notes or school work. Take January mocks seriously, it will mean less work later. Be realistic about revision don't do more than five hours of revision a day during the exams themselves. Don't revise on the day of your exams as you will panic yourself.

Yep, I agree, I went over my revision on the day (I had revised beforehand), and I ended up forgetting a lot of stuff for my first exam. I'm glad I learn't from my mistakes after the first exam, otherwise.. let's not even go there :redface:
Original post by Umerr
How was year 11 for you?
- Year 11 was an immense year for me. Full of support from both parents, teachers and the wider community! When people see something special in someone who was not doing as well as they should, they do all in their power to help them! Don't forget that:P

How many exams did you sit?
- Too many, but this was because I didn't do as-well as I should have in year 10 because of distractions. The stress was okay, but i injured my hand making me need a scribe to write my exams for me which was the most stressful thing ever!

What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
- REVISE! REVISE! REVISE!
1. I started in November of 2013 and didn't go out a lot at all. Once every two weeks maybe?
2. Take breaks while revising to loosen up your joints and muscles, drink buckets of water to stay hydrated and keep you awake while studying.
3. Create a study plan that you should follow religiously. this will be the best way o know exactly what you're doing and when you should be doing it.
4. DON'T REVISE IN BED. Revise sitting on the floor or at a desk, if you don't, you'll get lazy and won't work the way you should be working!

100% effort has to be put in at all times.

Live long, god bless and good luck to those who are receiving their results this year or preparing for their exams next year!

I revised on my bed throughout the whole season, I did nod off a few times tho! Would also recommend getting a desk or sitting on the floor.
Original post by chocciemilkshake
Welsh Literature, Welsh Language, English Literature (Unit 1 done in Year 10, but have to re-sit :unimpressed: ) , English Language, Maths, Additional Science (Did my 3 Science exams in Year 10) Art, Spanish, History (Did 1 exam in Year 10), RE Short Course, ICT and PE Short Course

Umm.. Think it's going to be tough, but I feel pumped for it!! Last year wasn't great, especially mocks! Predictions are A's, I got D's and E's :s-smilie:

I am actually! I want to get GCSEs over and done with them go to college :smile:

I wouldn't worry too much about your mock results. I recieved mock results with mostly C's & some D's in Year 11 November Mocks. I completed another set of mocks in April, and I recieved majority A*, A's, and about 2 B's with no C's :smile: I was predicted majority B's as well. It's possible, just work hard and you will get what you want. & Practice makes perfect. Do alot of practice papers, they helped me soo much.
Original post by funkydee19
I wouldn't worry too much about your mock results. I recieved mock results with mostly C's & some D's in Year 11 November Mocks. I completed another set of mocks in April, and I recieved majority A*, A's, and about 2 B's with no C's :smile: I was predicted majority B's as well. It's possible, just work hard and you will get what you want. & Practice makes perfect. Do alot of practice papers, they helped me soo much.

Thanks! I hope I'll improve, I feel motivated this year for some reason which is not like me!! Good luck for your results!!
Original post by chocciemilkshake
Thanks! I hope I'll improve, I feel motivated this year for some reason which is not like me!! Good luck for your results!!

Well that's the spirit :biggrin: I wish I was motivated from the start. & Thank you so much, all the best in year 11.
Passed so SO fast!! Some teachers put more pressure on us than they should have, and having done so many exams I got really stressed, but hopefully it will all be worth it on results day :crossedf:

2) How many exams did you sit? 23:eek:

1. Listen in class - seriously, that will save so much time as you will end up spending less time on figuring things out and more time on actual revision.
2.Make sure you understand eveything being taught.
3.Make flashcards. I used them for sciences, Rs and business. I know they come in handy for learning quotes for eng lit, which reminds me of another point...
4.For subjects where you have to learn stuff by heart(quotes for eng lit, pros&cons of stuff in busiess etc) make flashcards as soon as you learn them in class and then continually review them. So important! After doing that you''ll remember them so easily, which is so good cause so many questions in GCSE's test your memory rather than your understanding(you still need to understand stuff tho
:tongue:)
Good luck!!
a question for year 11's who did gcse french AQA , so i really like french and have got an A/A* for my writing but i try so hard in speaking and keep getting a B , i think they are a lot higher than a B but whatever , i just wanted to know will this stop me from getting an A* ? and did you have a similar problem ? and how hard is it to get a good grade for the reading and listening papers ? and how do i revise for them ?

thanks
Original post by Humzaawan123
a question for year 11's who did gcse french AQA , so i really like french and have got an A/A* for my writing but i try so hard in speaking and keep getting a B , i think they are a lot higher than a B but whatever , i just wanted to know will this stop me from getting an A* ? and did you have a similar problem ? and how hard is it to get a good grade for the reading and listening papers ? and how do i revise for them ?

thanks

It depends on which one has the higher percentage. Is the writing worth more than the speaking a listening? For example in textiles my coursework was worth 60% and I received an A* in that, so if I receive a B in my exams (which is worth 40% of my GCSE) I could get an A or a low A* if I make it to a high B?

thanks

They average it (can't remember percentage) so you'll probably get an A, maybes an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on which one has the higher percentage. Is the writing worth more than the speaking a listening? For example in textiles my coursework was worth 60% and I received an A* in that, so if I receive a B in my exams (which is worth 40% of my GCSE) I could get an A or a low A* if I make it to a high B?

speaking is 30%
writing is 30%
reading is 20%
listening is 20%
speaking is 30%
writing is 30%
reading is 20%
listening is 20%

I think if you get A's for your reading and listening you should be able to scrape the A*. But I am no expert, as I did not do French GCSE sorry.
I think if you get A's for your reading and listening you should be able to scrape the A*. But I am no expert, as I did not do French GCSE sorry.

ok thanks
Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

1) im doing english language, english literature, maths (done), additional maths, triple sciences, RE, History, German, Latin and Art (done)

2) ummm scary :/ it sounds like a lot of pressure and a lot of revising. I have like 25 exams so will have to revise quite early on.

3) not really haha, i hope my work pays off in the end but i dont deal with pressure very well :wink: also its my last year at this school and all my friends are staying, so im not looking forward to leaving them either.
1) How was year 11 for you?Probably one of the best years of my life. I understood a lot more in school, I knew what I wanted to do in the future, best time with friends2) How many exams did you sit? 20, loads of people in my year had less than 15 exams!3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?Harder year than Year 10. Try your best in Coursework as they are a part of your percentage for your final grade along with the actual exams. Start revising early depending on when you mocks are. I started studying mid November for my mocks straight after Christmas. If you don't get good mock results, don't beat yourself up about it. Few get the grades they really want because a 100% effort isn't put it. It's just a mock so people may try hard, but not as hard as they would for the real exams. I honestly don't think they are a representation of your final grades. I started revising for the final exams in March. Use resources like MathsWatch, My GCSE Science or Quizlet. Get revision guides. When I got revision guides, my grades boosted a lot. Don't work so hard, don't stress yourself out. You need to give yourself a break. I used to revise in the library at lunch on one subject, come home, relax for an hour, revise for 30 mins on a subject, relax for 30 mins, revise again on something different for 30 mins and relax. Apparently you shouldn't revise for more than 30 minutes at a time. Some schools start study leave just before the exams start and most schools initiate the study leave the day after half term. My school was ridiculous, we finally got study leave on the last week left of exams, we had barely any exams left. I guess it was good for most people because they wouldn't study once they got home but it was awful for me. I work best at home, most of my resources are online and I don't get distracted. I took some days off just to revise. Good luck x

It was ok at first, quite chilled and not really serious. But once it kicked in that I had no chance after this, things became more daunting. So all in all, Year 11 was good and a little bit demanding.

I sat exams in 7 subjects which altogether equalled to 15 exams. Every exam had 2 exams each except for language which had 3. I completed about for subjects in year 10 so I had less this year.

Don't Procrastinate. You think you have plenty of time from September till May but you don't. You don't have to start revise full on from September, but it is good to go over everything you have learnt regularly and at least start making revision aids and notes.
Most of, don't get distracted and have fun because you won't be getting this chance again!!! Don't stress yourself to much and try your best.
Original post by RogueLearner15

It was ok at first, quite chilled and not really serious. But once it kicked in that I had no chance after this, things became more daunting. So all in all, Year 11 was good and a little bit demanding.

I sat exams in 7 subjects which altogether equalled to 15 exams. Every exam had 2 exams each except for language which had 3. I completed about for subjects in year 10 so I had less this year.

Don't Procrastinate. You think you have plenty of time from September till May but you don't. You don't have to start revise full on from September, but it is good to go over everything you have learnt regularly and at least start making revision aids and notes.
Most of, don't get distracted and have fun because you won't be getting this chance again!!! Don't stress yourself to much and try your best.

I see that this is your first post. Welcome to TSR & all the best with your results :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest