The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Competition for MSc mathematics with physics

I'm planning on going to durham in 2016 to study a BSc in maths with physics, but I wondered from anyone who takes this course if they know how busy/competitive it is to get in. I've not yet started my A levels but I'm taking maths, further maths, physics, economics and philosophy..all predicted at least an A, as I'm going to my high schools sixth form so they're able to make predictions for me. I know I also need to get an A* in either maths or physics to get on the course, but is there anything else I can try and do to improve my chances?
Reply 1
Concentrate on enjoying your summer for heaven's sake.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Yes, get better grades than A
Also hobbies with transferable skills to which you can refer in your personal statement.
And be good at these hobbies.
Maybe apply for a Nuffield summer placement next year or sit some UKMT competition papers or something similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Jheez, maths at university is intense. Even though I did a maths degree, I wouldn't recommend it. It's so much abstract crap, you will never need or use in your life.

Stick to Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operational Research kids. The pure maths will only depress you.
Original post by godd
Jheez, maths at university is intense. Even though I did a maths degree, I wouldn't recommend it. It's so much abstract crap, you will never need or use in your life.

Stick to Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operational Research kids. The pure maths will only depress you.

Terrible advice, OP please ignore.
Reply 6
Original post by rayquaza17
Terrible advice, OP please ignore.

Why so?
I'm speaking from personal experience.
Reply 7
From a pure sanity point of view, maths at a place such as warwick or cambridge is not ideal.
Original post by godd
Why so?
I'm speaking from personal experience.

The OP is obviously interested in maths and physics, and you're suggesting they go and do Economics or Finance!

How do you know the OP won't live pure maths??
Reply 9
The OP is obviously interested in maths and physics, and you're suggesting they go and do Economics or Finance!

How do you know the OP won't live pure maths??

Do you release how much of a mind**** maths is at cambridge?
No one enjoys that ****.

They only do it to get into IB at Goldman Sachs.
Original post by godd
Do you release how much of a mind**** maths is at cambridge?
No one enjoys that ****.

They only do it to get into IB at Goldman Sachs.

No, I don't study at Cambridge so I don't know.

Obviously some people enjoy it otherwise they would drop out? What about people going on to do postgrad in the areas that you hate??

Some people study maths because they love it, not because it's a means to an end.
Reply 11
Maths at uni is 80% proofs. It's nothing like A Level maths.
Reply 12
No, I don't study at Cambridge so I don't know.

Obviously some people enjoy it otherwise they would drop out? What about people going on to do postgrad in the areas that you hate??

Some people study maths because they love it, not because it's a means to an end.

Where do you study?
Original post by godd
Where do you study?

Newcastle.
Reply 14
Newcastle.

Word of advise. It only gets harder.
Especially 3rd year.

You are very brave doing maths.
Original post by godd
Word of advise. It only gets harder.
Especially 3rd year.

You are very brave doing maths.

What do you study and where?

3rd year might be hardest but it looks like the most interesting year!

I wouldn't say I was brave..
Reply 16
What do you study and where?

3rd year might be hardest but it looks like the most interesting year!

I wouldn't say I was brave..

Finished Msc Finance and Econometrics at QMUL.

Was hell I tell you!!! Econometrics at graduate level is basically meeting the devil and letting him **** you around.
Original post by godd
Finished Msc Finance and Econometrics at QMUL.

Was hell I tell you!!! Econometrics at graduate level is basically meeting the devil and letting him **** you around.

I don't really know what econometrics is. :colondollar:
Reply 18
I don't really know what econometrics is. :colondollar:

It's better you don't. Don't for the love of god do it. It's like I said, meeting the devil and letting him **** you around.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending