The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hey guys :smile:

1. I'll be in my first year of a four year course (Econ & Management; St Andrews) so should i only apply to the banks where they don't explicitly say that you have to be in your second year of a four year course?
Also how do you think my chances will be since i have no experience at all? :s-smilie: (I did have perfect grades in school though... if that somehow matters haha :P)

2. Any finance related book recommendations?

3. any girls here? http://www.morganstanley.com/about/careers/eprograms_emea.html
what do you think about those events for women? and does anyone know how to apply?

Reply 101
Original post by schlili
Hey guys :smile:

1. I'll be in my first year of a four year course (Econ & Management; St Andrews) so should i only apply to the banks where they don't explicitly say that you have to be in your second year of a four year course?
Also how do you think my chances will be since i have no experience at all? :s-smilie: (I did have perfect grades in school though... if that somehow matters haha :P)

2. Any finance related book recommendations?

3. any girls here? http://www.morganstanley.com/about/careers/eprograms_emea.html
what do you think about those events for women? and does anyone know how to apply?

If I am not mistaken, St Andrews is a Cambridge college? You should apply for all the programs you want to attend, they are normally for both 1st year and (2, on 4). Yes perfect grades matters hahah xDDD (You are attending a target school.

Read books about finance that you enjoy, find a topic - maybe something like the financial crisis of 07-8 and read a book on it. They can be quite tedious so make sure you like the topic :P

Take full advantage of the women programs, Nomura have one aswell called immersion and others too, apply to these and capitalise on the advantage you are given.
Original post by Hobes1
If I am not mistaken, St Andrews is a Cambridge college? You should apply for all the programs you want to attend, they are normally for both 1st year and (2, on 4). Yes perfect grades matters hahah xDDD (You are attending a target school.

Read books about finance that you enjoy, find a topic - maybe something like the financial crisis of 07-8 and read a book on it. They can be quite tedious so make sure you like the topic :P

Take full advantage of the women programs, Nomura have one aswell called immersion and others too, apply to these and capitalise on the advantage you are given.

You're mistaken. St. Andrew's is a Scottish university. So, I don't think it's a target.
Also, no, these programmes are not for 1st years on 4 year courses. Sometimes people are able to do the programmes by suggesting that they only intend on doing a three year programme (a BA, rather than a MA) but all Scottish programmes are 4years (afaik), so, that wouldn't work. The banks would know that all Scottish programmes are 4 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by Aenigma
You're mistaken. St. Andrew's is a Scottish university. So, I don't think it's a target.
Also, no, these programmes are not for 1st years on 4 year courses. Sometimes people are able to do the programmes by suggesting that they only intend on doing a three year programme (a BA, rather than a MA) but all Scottish programmes are 4years (afaik), so, that wouldn't work. The banks would know that all Scottish programmes are 4 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well scrap my entire first paragraph because I thought she meant St Andrews the Cambridge college. :P
Reply 104
Original post by Hobes1

haha no it's not a Cambridge college, i meant University of St Andrews :smile:

most of the banks like Goldman Sachs or JP Morgan say that if you are on a four year course, you should apply in your second year :frown: But some like BNPP or RBS don't explicitly say that so I was wondering if i should only apply there... because I don't really want to waste my first year doing nothing :s-smilie:

and thank you! :tongue: I will definitely read many books about finance, just wondering if there is a good one that gives a overview of the whole banking industry etc.
My application to attend Bright Network was successful!! I genuinely thought my video interview was terrible :s-smilie: Good luck to anyone else that has applied, hopefully see some of you on the 16th! :h:
Reply 106
I also just heard back and got accepted - i am guessing this is not sth overly competitive.
Original post by Szmessh
I also just heard back and got accepted - i am guessing this is not sth overly competitive.

Congrats. :smile:

haha, you never know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itssimplyme
My application to attend Bright Network was successful!! I genuinely thought my video interview was terrible :s-smilie: Good luck to anyone else that has applied, hopefully see some of you on the 16th! :h:

Original post by Szmessh

How did you find the interview?

Congrats by the way.
Original post by Selym95
How did you find the interview?

Congrats by the way.

It was okay, they only asked 3 relatively straightforward questions and you have about 30 seconds thinking time before you're expected to answer. Have you taken your interview yet?
Reply 110
Thanks, the questions were indeed straightforward, id say easy. I liked the process btw

It was okay, they only asked 3 relatively straightforward questions and you have about 30 seconds thinking time before you're expected to answer. Have you taken your interview yet?

Do you know the application deadline for this as I'm considering in attending however there's a lot of work I need to do before my application would be up to my standards before submitting it.
Reply 112
Original post by MathsNerd1
Do you know the application deadline for this as I'm considering in attending however there's a lot of work I need to do before my application would be up to my standards before submitting it.

It's rolling. Don't worry about it though - there'll be plenty of other opportunities to network surely haha.

I just sat the video interview though, very weird looking at yourself talking
Original post by CD315
It's rolling. Don't worry about it though - there'll be plenty of other opportunities to network surely haha.

Hmm, I'm thinking of sending it off next week, so hopefully there will still be places then!

I need all the opportunities I can get because I don't go to a target university unfortunately, just makes it twice hard for me.
Original post by CD315

Haha, how long after application did you get invited to do a video interview?

I actually have no clue, I know they're still open for applications atm - but the video interview invitation said they'd be reviewing them as they come in (on a rolling basis) Sorry that's not much help! But hopefully it's still open by the time you get around to it. :smile:
I actually have no clue, I know they're still open for applications atm - but the video interview invitation said they'd be reviewing them as they come in (on a rolling basis) Sorry that's not much help! But hopefully it's still open by the time you get around to it. :smile:

That's fine, thanks anyway and congratulations on getting a place! :smile:
That's fine, thanks anyway and congratulations on getting a place! :smile:

Would rep you, but I'm all out of it today!
Reply 118
Hmm, I'm thinking of sending it off next week, so hopefully there will still be places then!

I need all the opportunities I can get because I don't go to a target university unfortunately, just makes it twice hard for me.

Ah, I thought you went to Warwick for maths? I guess you have a point then.

Original post by John Maddon
Haha, how long after application did you get invited to do a video interview?

Like a day or so, then you get 4 days to do it :smile:
Original post by CD315
Ah, I thought you went to Warwick for maths? I guess you have a point then.

I wish! That was my firm but didn't devote enough time to STEP because I thought keeping my part time job was more important, so didn't achieve my offer, now I've got twice the work to do all because I didn't drop my part time job :/

Would rep you, but I'm all out of it today!

That's fine :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending