The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yuvalpesh
So nervous for the 14th, just want to get it over and done with.

Need AAB for Economics, got a strong feeling I've got ABB - praying to god they let me in.

Also staying in Oak house

Anyone else doing Economics(BA)/Oak House?

Me!! It's economics and finance AAB but I thinks I've got ABB too! Fingers crossed! Applied for oak house too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by BeccaBoot
I just got my accommodation details, Richmond Park Hall W. Ground floor. Is anyone else on here near by?
Also, is there anyone about going to do Politics and/or International Relations?

If I get the grades I'll be doing politics and international relations and have put Richmond as my first accommodation choice 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeccaBoot
Yay another person! Have you been on the facebook group yet?

Do you mean the Politics and IR specific group. I added them the other day.
Hi :smile: providing Thursday goes well and I meet my offer, when can I expect to hear about what accommodation ive got?
Reply 1864
firmed politics and international relations and need a very highly unlikely AAB lmao

also i'm commuting so i hope i won't be missing out on the student scene too much...are there actually any ways to make friends (other than through societies) because the freshers parties are usually organised by the reps in halls right? i don't think anyone goes to lectures to make friends hahah :/
Original post by mahamxa
firmed politics and international relations and need a very highly unlikely AAB lmao

also i'm commuting so i hope i won't be missing out on the student scene too much...are there actually any ways to make friends (other than through societies) because the freshers parties are usually organised by the reps in halls right? i don't think anyone goes to lectures to make friends hahah :/

I knew plenty of people last year who commuted and made loads of friends.
AAB Economics too and dreading results! Anyone started looking for jobs yet or is that over optimistic? If I get in I'm after a bar job at the Venue, had a really good night there after A levels.
I'm so desperate to get into Manchester Uni, spent the summer so far getting over there as often as possible to check out the clubs - the Venue's favourite at the moment, hoping to get a job there if I get in.
Original post by JohnnyBoy13
Do you mean the Politics and IR specific group. I added them the other day.

Yes, there's also halls groups (an official university one and one run by a group called Freshers Manchester) might be useful if you're trying to find your flatmates.
Reply 1869
Original post by Origami Bullets
Unfortunately we don't!

I know someone who does play for the 1st team, but all I really know about it is that trials are incredibly competitive!

Thanks for reply:smile: please can you elaborate
Original post by mahamxa

I'm not going to mince my words on this one - I was on what was essentially the same course, and it's very hard to make friends on that course. The course is so large and the choice of modules so varied that you will rarely see the same people on more than one module. Furthermore, there's next to no group work, which means that you never really talk to people for anything other than polite, work-focussed conversation during seminars - this is not the stuff of friendship.

You won't be making friends in halls because you won't be there, which is your second main potential source of friends gone. You're correct in thinking that freshers week is essentially organised through the halls of residence.

That essentially leaves you with societies and any other extra curricular activities that you might be involved with. Go and join some societies, and go along to the meetings and events.

If I were you I'd think about moving into halls - you're still guaranteed a place if you apply before August 31st, and you can always move back home again in subsequent years if you want to, and once you've made a good circle of friends.
Unfortunately we don't!

ahh that sucks :frown: I guess I'll make do with my phone

Original post by mahamxa

this is me too =/ I'm living with friends from my old uni and I'm a little bit scared I wont make too many friends on Sociology, plus I dont have facebook so I'm at another disadvantage >.< Societies it is :dontknow:
Original post by zizou8
Thanks for reply:smile: please can you elaborate

If you do well, you'll get on to a UoM football squad. Don't expect to get straight onto the first team - that's somewhere that you work your way up to, if you're good enough.

If you don't get through the trials, then do remember that you can often play football at lots of other levels e.g. 5 a side leagues, hall teams and course teams :smile:
Reply 1873
If you do well, you'll get on to a UoM football squad. Don't expect to get straight onto the first team - that's somewhere that you work your way up to, if you're good enough.

If you don't get through the trials, then do remember that you can often play football at lots of other levels e.g. 5 a side leagues, hall teams and course teams :smile:

that sounds quite standard. when you say do well, is that in the training that will probably take place in the first few opening weeks? are these like trials watched by the coaches etc? do you have more details regarding the phases where selection takes place
Original post by zizou8
that sounds quite standard. when you say do well, is that in the training that will probably take place in the first few opening weeks? are these like trials watched by the coaches etc? do you have more details regarding the phases where selection takes place

Kick balls around a bit. Live up to your name, and you get onto a team.

(I would've picked 'Zizou10')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Civil engineering anyone? Going to be commuting to uni too :smile:
Original post by zizou8

That's going beyond my knowledge I'm afraid :sadnod: What I meant by 'if you do well' is that the trials are brutally competitive from what I've heard - there's no guarantee you'll get onto any squad within the UOM club.
Is there a £400 deposit for the accommodation? When would we need to pay this? :biggrin:
Original post by Francescabrown
AAB Economics too and dreading results! Anyone started looking for jobs yet or is that over optimistic? If I get in I'm after a bar job at the Venue, had a really good night there after A levels.

Yes, someone that does economics!
Reading that there were 1350 applications last year and only 185 places for the BA Economics course has ruined my morning.
Original post by yuvalpesh
Yes, someone that does economics!
Reading that there were 1350 applications last year and only 185 places for the BA Economics course has ruined my morning.

I'm doing econ too! Are you kidding?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending