The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by MathsNerd1
I wish! That was my firm but didn't devote enough time to STEP because I thought keeping my part time job was more important, so didn't achieve my offer, now I've got twice the work to do all because I didn't drop my part time job :/

That's fine :smile:

Ah, I know the feeling.
Original post by CD315
Ah, I know the feeling.

It is my own fault, need to prioritise my time better!
I wish! That was my firm but didn't devote enough time to STEP because I thought keeping my part time job was more important, so didn't achieve my offer, now I've got twice the work to do all because I didn't drop my part time job :/

Where are you planning on going now if you don't mind me asking? You'll be fine breaking in IB if you can find experience .It's much more important because they are looking for transferable skills.
Original post by CD315
Ah, I thought you went to Warwick for maths? I guess you have a point then.

Like a day or so, then you get 4 days to do it :smile:

Thanks very much. I applied Sunday and haven't heard anything so naturally I'm panicking haha. Congrats on getting a place!
Reply 124
Original post by John Maddon
Thanks very much. I applied Sunday and haven't heard anything so naturally I'm panicking haha. Congrats on getting a place!

I haven't got a place yet - just had the interview!
Original post by CD315
I haven't got a place yet - just had the interview!

oops getting ahead :wink: Im sure you will - let us know.

Where are you planning on going now if you don't mind me asking? You'll be fine breaking in IB if you can find experience .It's much more important because they are looking for transferable skills.

I'm currently at Nottingham and have just completed my first year with a 76 average, so not doing too bad. Since I've decided pretty late to go down this route for my career I'm very much lacking in relevant work experience but about to get a weeks worth work in a finance department of a company, so I hope that helps a little bit. I have other positions that show leadership and team work though, so hopefully I get through to the interviews when I apply! :smile:
Reply 127
oops getting ahead :wink: Im sure you will - let us know.

No worries.
Hey there!

I will start studying Law at Oxford in October, but I've got an interest in finance, so I wanted to get a gist of this field.

I'm wondering what the application process for a first year spring week at Goldman Sachs (or another leading IB firm) is like.

I have no work experience whatsoever (I'm Italian, and it's not common at all for high school students to work in Italy). I hope to get good extracurricular stuff to enhance my CV after I start at Oxford, however, I gather that I'll have to apply for a spring week right at the beginning of first term.

I'd like to receive some advice about what's needed to be invited to a spring week, and some (general of course) evaluation of my chances of being offered a place as a non-Economics student without significant CV experiences.

(edited 9 years ago)
I'm currently at Nottingham and have just completed my first year with a 76 average, so not doing too bad. Since I've decided pretty late to go down this route for my career I'm very much lacking in relevant work experience but about to get a weeks worth work in a finance department of a company, so I hope that helps a little bit. I have other positions that show leadership and team work though, so hopefully I get through to the interviews when I apply! :smile:

Nottingham is a very good uni mate so don't worry about it. Obviously being proactive is always a good thing, though.

Sounds really good! Nottingham is a great uni- with relevant work experience and good interviews you'll be fine!!
Original post by Selym95
Nottingham is a very good uni mate so don't worry about it. Obviously being proactive is always a good thing, though.

Sounds really good! Nottingham is a great uni- with relevant work experience and good interviews you'll be fine!!

Thanks guys! I always thought it wasn't all that good of a university but that's not the case it seems, just need to pick up some more work experience and I should be good! :smile:
Original post by Caesar95
Hey there!

I will start studying Law at Oxford in October, but I've got an interest in finance, so I wanted to get a gist of this field.

I'm wondering what the application process for a first year spring week at Goldman Sachs (or another leading IB firm) is like.

I have no work experience whatsoever (I'm Italian, and it's not common at all for high school students to work in Italy). I hope to get good extracurricular stuff to enhance my CV after I start at Oxford, however, I gather that I'll have to apply for a spring week right at the beginning of first term.

I'd like to receive some advice about what's needed to be invited to a spring week, and some (general of course) evaluation of my chances of being offered a place as a non-Economics student without significant CV experiences.

Well it depends what part IB you are looking into mate. Some parts require an analytical degree with mathematics involved as the industry is heavily moving in this direction. Read some articles on the various roles in front office and get an idea of which one appeals to you most!

Goldman Sachs is incredibly competitive so you need tons of relevant WE and just do anything you can to show your interest and how you would be an asset to them :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Can someone please explain what this "Spring Week" is? I'm coming from abroad and studying Finance at the University of Warwick (is it a target school?). Is it only available to domestic students or are exchange students allowed to apply too?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well it depends what part IB you are looking into mate. Some parts require an analytical degree with mathematics involved as the industry is heavily moving in this direction. Read some articles on the various roles in front office and get an idea of which one appeals to you most!

Goldman Sachs is incredibly competitive so you need tons of relevant WE and just do anything you can to show your interest and how you would be an asset to them :wink:

Thank you so much for answering :smile:

I do not know much about finance (though I'm starting reading around it, and I've already read the articles you mention). I'm mostly worried about not being able to switch from Law to IB in the future should I want to (and I'd like to learn on first hand basis what working there is like). From what I've read so far, I found what's related to M&A and hedge funds particularly interesting. Are these sectors closed to a Law graduate?

I did some research about the possibility of doing an MBA after a few years as a lawyer. Would that be a better option to enter the IB? Would you advice me to focus on law/law firms, and put IB apart from the moment? Or does it make sense to try and getting some experience of it?

Finally (sorry for the awful lot of questions!), what would you advice me to do to get some extracurricular experiences that make my CV stand out?

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by lilballer12
Can someone please explain what this "Spring Week" is? I'm coming from abroad and studying Finance at the University of Warwick (is it a target school?). Is it only available to domestic students or are exchange students allowed to apply too?

Warwick is a target. Apply to a SW, it's generally a weeks insight into specific banking division lines. Applications open around October time.
*waves*

Who else is attending the Bright Network event next month?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
*waves*

Who else is attending the Bright Network event this month?

There's one this month too? Had no idea :tongue:
Original post by Caesar95
Thank you so much for answering :smile:

I do not know much about finance (though I'm starting reading around it, and I've already read the articles you mention). I'm mostly worried about not being able to switch from Law to IB in the future should I want to (and I'd like to learn on first hand basis what working there is like). From what I've read so far, I found what's related to M&A and hedge funds particularly interesting. Are these sectors closed to a Law graduate?

I did some research about the possibility of doing an MBA after a few years as a lawyer. Would that be a better option to enter the IB? Would you advice me to focus on law/law firms, and put IB apart from the moment? Or does it make sense to try and getting some experience of it?

Finally (sorry for the awful lot of questions!), what would you advice me to do to get some extracurricular experiences that make my CV stand out?

Thanks again :smile:

Before I go any further I'll just say take everything I say as opinion as I'm guessing I'm the same age as you. But as advice.. :smile:

I believe having a Law degree and moving into the areas of IB you are interested in ,as they are front office roles, would be challenging. This issue is not the reputation or difficulty of degree but the lack of mathematical content in a Law course. However, it is not impossible but top tier IB's will be looking for mathematical degrees i.e Economics, Physics and obviously Mathematics. You could always look into a Masters in something along these lines but that would be something to research on your own.

In terms of your career - Do whatever you want to do!!! Apply no matter what if you think you want to do it. Even if you don't get a place at least you tried. No regrets and all that.

A career in IB will most likely come from first securing a graduate place... the chances of getting a place on one of these is increased by doing a summer internship..... chances of getting on one of these is increased by doing a spring week and so on.

GET RELEVANT EXPERIENCE is key as banks aren't going to care if you were captain of a hockey team in college blah blah... they want the candidate who will potentially make them the most money and you need to show them that is you.

Extra- Curricular stuff can help but again relevant work experience trumps this any day.

I am currently at JP Morgan Bournemouth trying to get as much experience as possible. Although the Front Office is not based here there is still a lot of potential to learn and there are graduate recruiters who know about the London schemes.

I hope this helps. I to am in your position of wanting to go into this area of work but it is so so competitive. :smile:
Original post by itssimplyme
There's one this month too? Had no idea :tongue:

me neither haha!

Latest

Trending

Trending