The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by John Maddon
me neither haha!

Gotta appreciate these threads, forever finding out things I didn't even know existed :lol:
Original post by itssimplyme
Gotta appreciate these threads, forever finding out things I didn't even know existed :lol:

Ikr hahaa, we're going to need it all to try break into this ridiculous industry :wink:
Congratulations on getting a place on the Bright Network: IB btw! How long did it take before you got invited to a video interview?
Not sure if this has already been asked, but does anyone know (approximately) the percentage of applicants that are shortlisted from online reasoning tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ikr hahaa, we're going to need it all to try break into this ridiculous industry :wink:
Congratulations on getting a place on the Bright Network: IB btw! How long did it take before you got invited to a video interview?

ahaha, exactly! Keeping all future friends made at events very close :wink:

Ah, thank you :h: Good luck with your application. :smile: Well I applied a while ago as soon as it all opened up because my friend was headhunted by them or something like that, so she told me about it as soon as it opened way back in like March and I had been waiting since then! I got frequent emails that they were still reviewing things etc, but was only told about the video interview earlier last week :smile: Dont worry, I'm pretty certain they're going to respond alot quicker than that! :tongue:
ahaha, exactly! Keeping all future friends made at events very close :wink:

Ah, thank you :h: Good luck with your application. :smile: Well I applied a while ago as soon as it all opened up because my friend was headhunted by them or something like that, so she told me about it as soon as it opened way back in like March and I had been waiting since then! I got frequent emails that they were still reviewing things etc, but was only told about the video interview earlier last week :smile: Dont worry, I'm pretty certain they're going to respond alot quicker than that! :tongue:

Thanks very much :smile: O okay I only heard about it on this thread last week haha. Ahh okay well I've got a horrible wait ahead then... I'm worried I mistyped my email or something stupid!
Before I go any further I'll just say take everything I say as opinion as I'm guessing I'm the same age as you. But as advice.. :smile:

I believe having a Law degree and moving into the areas of IB you are interested in ,as they are front office roles, would be challenging. This issue is not the reputation or difficulty of degree but the lack of mathematical content in a Law course. However, it is not impossible but top tier IB's will be looking for mathematical degrees i.e Economics, Physics and obviously Mathematics. You could always look into a Masters in something along these lines but that would be something to research on your own.

This is not great advice, although I appreciate you didn't claim to know any better.
There are lawyers who end up in M&A. Lots of large law firms focus on M&A transactions and it is not terribly uncommon for lawyers to 'change sides'.

As Caesar95 suggested, going to do an MBA would be a good idea.

I had a long conversation to someone working in M&A at Morgan Stanley who trained and worked as a lawyer for sometime before doing an MBA and then going to work for MS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks very much :smile: O okay I only heard about it on this thread last week haha. Ahh okay well I've got a horrible wait ahead then... I'm worried I mistyped my email or something stupid!

I'd forgotten about it for ages until I got the interview invite :tongue: Nah, I think they'll get back to you pretty quickly! :smile: haha, bless - I'm sure your application is fine :h:
Original post by The-Illusionist
Not sure if this has already been asked, but does anyone know (approximately) the percentage of applicants that are shortlisted from online reasoning tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At most banks they are automatic, so everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's one this month too? Had no idea :tongue:

D'oh! Next month :tongue: See you there?
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
D'oh! Next month :tongue: See you there?

ahaha, oh yes! I got my email today - congrats! Hopefully some others on the thread will be joining us too! :crossedf:
I'd forgotten about it for ages until I got the interview invite :tongue: Nah, I think they'll get back to you pretty quickly! :smile: haha, bless - I'm sure your application is fine :h:

Thanks very much - hopefully see you there. :smile:

Is the scheme open for people already in university? The reason I ask is because it's asking for my firm choice on my UCAS application, but I went to my insurance, so I'm unsure what to put.
Original post by MathsNerd1
Is the scheme open for people already in university? The reason I ask is because it's asking for my firm choice on my UCAS application, but I went to my insurance, so I'm unsure what to put.

Ohh, I don't think so - I'm 99% certain that you need to be graduating in 2017 or 2018 if you're studying a 4 year course!
Ohh, I don't think so - I'm 99% certain that you need to be graduating in 2017 or 2018 if you're studying a 4 year course!

Ah I see, good thing I didn't submit an application then, just disappointed I didn't know about this last year. Oh well.
Ah I see, good thing I didn't submit an application then, just disappointed I didn't know about this last year. Oh well.

Ah no, I'm sorry :frown: There will definitely be other opportunities and things like that - just have to keep an eye on what everyone here's up to! :h: You'll find something in no time at all :smile:

You can go to the afternoon session no matter what stage you're at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
You can go to the afternoon session no matter what stage you're at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm already going to be attending the afternoon session, just wanted to get into the morning session as well. Oh well.
Ah no, I'm sorry :frown: There will definitely be other opportunities and things like that - just have to keep an eye on what everyone here's up to! :h: You'll find something in no time at all :smile:

Thanks, hope you have a great time at this! :smile: Will you also be attending the afternoon session then?

Thanks, hope you have a great time at this! :smile: Will you also be attending the afternoon session then?

Thank you! :smile:

Oh, first I'm hearing about an afternoon session? :tongue:

EDIT: Sorry, yes - Just seen, I will be :h: So hopefully I'll see you then!
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you! :smile:

Oh, first I'm hearing about an afternoon session? :tongue:

EDIT: Sorry, yes - Just seen, I will be :h: So hopefully I'll see you then!

Awesome and that would be pretty cool to meet others from here :smile: Maybe see you then!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 159
Someone tell me; could I become an investment banker with a Politics & international relations degree?!
Already have done a placement at
Goldman Sachs??!..

Latest

Trending

Trending