The Student Room Group

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by C-Rooney
Biochem is hardcore! My friend did his BSc in microbiology, he loved it!

Good exam technique is the name of the game, and a passion for the subject.
Original post by Wisefire
The University of Chicago is just BLISS. THIS place is the most beautiful university in the world, in my opinion. Heaven:

Another crazy place is the University of Southern California. USC definitely has the best location in the world, in my opinion, and some superb buildings:

USC +1. , dad studied orthodontics there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Med_medine
USC +1. , dad studied orthodontics there

Posted from TSR Mobile

And now makes a ****load? :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Harvard is the oldest university in America, dating back to 1636, and is famous for its red brick buildings and tree-filled courtyards. The oldest building is Massachusetts Hall, a modest Early Georgian structure where the university's president has his offices:

Cape Town University's buildings may not be as striking at those at some other universities, but the mountainous setting is undeniably spectacular:

It may look more like a luxury hotel, but you can't deny that Moscow State University is impressive especially when lit up at night. One of the most prestigious universities in Russia, its main building is said to be the largest educational structure in the world.

This imposing building is part of Toronto University, founded in 1827. The campus's buildings are mainly a mixture of Romanesque and Gothic Revival, and look particularly fetching in winter.

A must-see in western Spain is Salamanca University, founded in the 13th century and largely built in the ornate Spanish style known as "plateresque". The facade is covered in particularly beautiful carvings, including one of a frog perched on a skull which is said to bring luck to those who spot it.

The original campus of Mumbai University was built in the 19th century and has many beautiful buildings, including this spiral staircase. The campus's Rajabai tower is modelled on Big Ben, and is one of Mumbai's most famous landmarks.

Sydney University's beautiful neo-Gothic quadrangle was designed by the architect Edmund Blacket in the 1850s. The Great Hall, loosely based on the Great Hall of Westminster, is particularly admired. Anthony Trollope wrote that no college at Oxford or Cambridge had a hall "of which the proportions are so good".

Xiamen University has one of the most scenic campuses in China, nestled at the bottom of green mountains and surrounded by sea. Its striking buildings blend Eastern and Western styles.

Source: The Telegraph
Original post by Wisefire
And now makes a f u c k l o a d? :biggrin:

Hate to admit yea~:smug:
Original post by lizziec1996
omg it looks like hogwarts :colone:

I actually said that in my med interview there
The Courtauld Institute of Art

Jagiellonian University

Middlebury College

University Centre in Svalbard

The only thing I don't like about having lancaster uni as my firm is the buildings :frown: unfortunately it's not an old university but oh well

University of Birmingham is AMAZING :u:probably because that's the only one i have seen :rolleyes:
Reply 130
Original post by lizziec1996
The only thing I don't like about having lancaster uni as my firm is the buildings :frown: unfortunately it's not an old university but oh well

Why did you choose Lancaster, out of curiosity? I have to confess, I fell in love with the campus at Nottingham at GCSE and never looked back. I even turned down UCL to go there. Having seen it again today several years on after graduation, it looks even greener and nicer than it did then, the Trent Building is gorgeous. I chose Royal Holloway as my insurance as it also had a spectacular main building that makes it look like something from Harry Potter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by KittyRe-play
University of Birmingham is AMAZING :u:probably because that's the only one i have seen :rolleyes:

Having grown up in Birmingham, I completely agree. Old Joe and the main building make Birmingham look like a powerhouse university like UCL or something. Try visiting the University of Nottingham also if you can, it will spellbind you, the HUGE campus and buildings.
Original post by Mansun
Having grown up in Birmingham, I completely agree. Old Joe and the main building make Birmingham look like a powerhouse university like UCL or something. Try visiting the University of Nottingham also if you can, it will spellbind you, the HUGE campus and buildings.

Ok I will definitely try to if possible thanks :biggrin:
Reply 133
Ok I will definitely try to if possible thanks :biggrin:

I am biased, as I studied at Notts, but Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh to name a few are also amazing! Royal Holloway is spectacular. It does matter in giving you strong morale during uni seeing how nice the university looks, as opposed to a dull one with no nice buildings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
I am biased, as I studied at Notts, but Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh to name a few are also amazing! Royal Holloway is spectacular. It does matter in giving you strong morale during uni seeing how nice the university looks, as opposed to a dull one with no nice buildings.

I completely agree with that statement. A good uni will boost your confidence to study better and actually BE PROUD of where you study. I guess i have to wait and see what the future holds for me! :smile:
Reply 135
I completely agree with that statement. A good uni will boost your confidence to study better and actually BE PROUD of where you study. I guess i have to wait and see what the future holds for me! :smile:

What sort of grades are you looking at getting realistically? And what subject are you interested in potentially at uni?
Original post by Mansun
What sort of grades are you looking at getting realistically? And what subject are you interested in potentially at uni?

I'm 16 so GCSE results= 8 A*s 3As 1B 1C just pray I get then InshaAllah..and I'm going 4 dentistry i love it a lot very keen on it...i will talk 2moro i g2g now. Nice talking :biggrin:
Reply 137
I'm 16 so GCSE results= 8 A*s 3As 1B 1C just pray I get then InshaAllah..and I'm going 4 dentistry i love it a lot very keen on it...i will talk 2moro i g2g now. Nice talking :biggrin:

I'm sure you will get in wherever you want with those GCSE grades, certainly you should be aiming for AAAB/A*A*A*A* in your A levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
Bit biased, but i love cardiff :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by racheyroo
Bit biased, but i love cardiff :smile:

Reminds me of the White House, very rand and royal looking. What goes on in the main building?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending