The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Gamers.

I am a primarily a PC gamer, and am not to comfortable doing freshers week, but I would like to make friends in between getting to uni and actually starting, any ideas or people :P ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by RobPolybius
I am a primarily a PC gamer, and am not to comfortable doing freshers week, but I would like to make friends in between getting to uni and actually starting, any ideas or people :P ?

I would say go to freshers week, you'll surprise yourself :wink:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Not comfortable going out clubbing? Or something else?
There are other things to do in the day, lots of talks to go to. You have introductions to your course in freshers week, so you could meet people there?
Make sure you go to freshers fair, join some societies you may enjoy, for example the gaming society.

Just go to freshers week. Get drunk talk to people. Gravitate to people who you are going to like
There's a Gaming society and i think there was an eSports society set up when i was leaving.

Go the freshers fair, find these societies, go to their freshers events, meet people.
Original post by cambo211
There's a Gaming society and i think there was an eSports society set up when i was leaving.

Go the freshers fair, find these societies, go to their freshers events, meet people.

Yep there's gaming and esports. They had a starcraft competition or LOL in Roses, a big tournament between us and York uni, last year.
PC Gaming is the way forward and Steam is a godly thing, I think people gravitate together anyway so it should be fine.

Xbox gamer here! Freshers Week may not seem like your cup of tea but I loved it last year. I didn't go to the barcrawls or foam parties but luckily there are plenty of other options available on campus like live acoustic nights down at the bars.
It also helps to get to know people through the Freshers groups (if you have Facebook). I met a lot of like-minded people through there. I'm restarting so cue Freshers Week #2! :wink:

But if not, then I guess I'm one person! Nice to meet you. :biggrin:
Original post by Zadeth
Hello. I would be in a similar boat to you and it would be awesome to have a fellow gaming friend! What games do you typically play? I mainly play the likes of WoW, Hearthstone, DOTA, sometime CSGO.

Mind I tag along? I don't play any of those unfortunately but I've been told (over and over again) to play DOTA and CounterStrike. So hopefully I'll play them one day.

Still, gaming is gaming I suppose no matter what platform you play on! Nice to meet you. :biggrin:
Reply 9

Im exactly the same, Im also not really looking forward to freshers week but from what I hear the during the day stuff is harmless and you can join some gaming societies, Im not going to Lancaster but if you ever feel the need for another person in the same shoes just throw me your steam name or Ill give you mine :smile:
Original post by Zadeth
Of course, the more the merrier! What do you play? DOTA is free, so you might as well download it and we can play. Maybe do it before you go as not to dent your D/L cap. Where are you going to be living? I'm waiting on them sending me an email. I really want Grizedale studio..

I tend to play a lot of single player stuff but I'm on Xbox so it's series like Assassins Creed, Batman Arkham, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, Hitman. Not any thing massively multiplayer.
Oh yeah, DOTA2 is free! I'm downloading it is I type! Not sure if I'll like it though. I'm really picky. Here's to hoping I'll give it a chance!
I'm staying at Bowland. Not too far from Grizedale!

Instead of checking your emails, check the accommodation portal where you applied! I didn't get an email but decided to check the portal and it said 'offered'. :biggrin:
Original post by Zadeth
DOTA can take a bit to get into, but it's fun in the end when you play with others. Playing and raging alone when your team is **** is not so fun.

I mean I am waiting for the email to apply to the accommodation, they said it'll be Monday now as they're not in over the weekend. My mum phoned them up and said they don't tend to allocate Studios to Freshers due to there being no communal areas, but that's why I want a Studio - I want my own kitchen/toilet/shower than I know everything is mine in, etc. Fingers crossed though.

If I do get it, we won't be too far away and can do some gaming nights sure!

Hahaha, that's good to know! I'm on Steam, btw. TannyJAuditore is my name, add me!

Oh right! So they genuinely hadn't emailed you. I hope you get the studio! I know what's like first hand to share a kitchen so I'm glad I've gone from sharing with 21 people, to sharing with 5. :colone:

YAY! If you don't get a studio, where are you going to stay?
Original post by Zadeth
I'll add you later. I've been lazing in bed since about 2. Just looked for you and no users come up.

If I don't get the Studio, I might just rent off-site. Who knows? Well, they said there were still some Studios but they might not allocate them to Freshers, as I said above.

Oh, I changed it the other day, sorry. It's TanJEDI for now. I'm not a fan of Star Wars, btw. :tongue:

Ah right. Fingers crossed for you anyway! We've derailed this thread enough. XD Talk to you on Steam!
Original post by Zadeth
Hey, my steam name is Zadeth. What type of games do you typically play?

Ahh mine is also my name on here RosstheBoss0 or it may come up as RosstheBoss00, and I play a bit of most things but im in RPG's and RTS'
the most, what about you?
I enjoy Games, currently only play World of Warcraft :s-smilie: .. I'm not really into getting drunk during Freshers so it would be nice to meet some like minded people! As a side note i'm not sure whether to bring a PC or buy a high-performance laptop! Any repsonse would be appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by OliverJames47
I enjoy Games, currently only play World of Warcraft :s-smilie: .. I'm not really into getting drunk during Freshers so it would be nice to meet some like minded people! As a side note i'm not sure whether to bring a PC or buy a high-performance laptop! Any repsonse would be appreciated :biggrin:

Im also not into drinking and am looking for others who maybe just want to play some games, Hmmm It would save money I'd say to just take your pc. If your looking for some gaming then give me a shout although I don't play world of warcraft, but anything else I can do haha :smile:
Original post by RosstheBoss0
Im also not into drinking and am looking for others who maybe just want to play some games, Hmmm It would save money I'd say to just take your pc. If your looking for some gaming then give me a shout although I don't play world of warcraft, but anything else I can do haha :smile:

Aha so I shant be the only one staying in when everybody else is out! That was one of my main concerns, and if my flat-mates would understand this :tongue:
Original post by Zadeth
Currently on a break from WoW but it'd be great to play with someone. What server/faction/class do you play?

Also, I'm bringing my PC and laptop.

Darksorrow, Alliance, Main a Warlock but I may be changing servers, and yeah I was thinking the same if I can find a cheap laptop for basic use. I'd be happy to add you on skype if you did want to play before were off to uni! Also which college did you get into? (I'm in Fylde)
Original post by Zadeth
Hello. I would be in a similar boat to you and it would be awesome to have a fellow gaming friend! What games do you typically play? I mainly play the likes of WoW, Hearthstone, DOTA, sometime CSGO.

Mainly Wow, Dota, I've been playing alot of unturned recently though
Reply 19
What courses are you all doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending