The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Starting in September. Feeling very excited and nervous!
Original post by pinkfrangipani
Starting in September. Feeling very excited and nervous!

Enjoy it! I absolutely loved my year, had great placements and mentors. First few weeks aren't too hectic so get to know your course mates and don't become overwhelmed with all the info you'll get hurled at you as it all falls into place.
Original post by Steveluis10
Enjoy it! I absolutely loved my year, had great placements and mentors. First few weeks aren't too hectic so get to know your course mates and don't become overwhelmed with all the info you'll get hurled at you as it all falls into place.

Totally agree.

The best piece of advice we were given by our subject tutor at the start of the year was "just keep turning up". He said not to go home and stress ourselves out by reading all the course handbooks and stuff, because things would gradually fall into place, so the next thing we needed to do was to turn up again the following morning!

Obviously the workload gets harder and you can't survive the whole by just turning up, but there's a lot to be said for not giving yourself excess work in the first few weeks when you're not even on placement.
After over a year of reading posts on this thread, I now find myself gearing up to be posting on it. I'm starting to feel the first hint of nerves, but I think I'm in a good position experience-wise and have a good work ethic. I'm reading a bit of my course textbooks at the moment, but mainly using the time to see friends and do everything I know I'll be missing out on soon.
Original post by tory88
After over a year of reading posts on this thread, I now find myself gearing up to be posting on it. I'm starting to feel the first hint of nerves, but I think I'm in a good position experience-wise and have a good work ethic. I'm reading a bit of my course textbooks at the moment, but mainly using the time to see friends and do everything I know I'll be missing out on soon.

Sounds like you are using your summer well! I tried to read course books over the summer and then never used them again/didn't really gain anything from them. Wish I'd spend more of the time with my friends and family! This summer I've spent much more time with them, however it's now only 3 weeks till school starts and I have done nothing to prepare... Oops!

What subject are you going to be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Sounds like you are using your summer well! I tried to read course books over the summer and then never used them again/didn't really gain anything from them. Wish I'd spend more of the time with my friends and family! This summer I've spent much more time with them, however it's now only 3 weeks till school starts and I have done nothing to prepare... Oops!

What subject are you going to be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's helping me get into the mood of teaching at least, so the reading won't be completely wasted. And I am finding some bits pretty interesting. I'll be training to teach Physics and maths (which of course comes with side orders of biology and chemistry). What did you train to teach?
Original post by tory88
I think it's helping me get into the mood of teaching at least, so the reading won't be completely wasted. And I am finding some bits pretty interesting. I'll be training to teach Physics and maths (which of course comes with side orders of biology and chemistry). What did you train to teach?

Ooh very interesting! I trained to teach History. Although I'll have to teach some RE this year as well.

Enjoy the year, it goes SO quickly. And enjoy the first few weeks in September when you aren't on placement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Ooh very interesting! I trained to teach History. Although I'll have to teach some RE this year as well.

Enjoy the year, it goes SO quickly. And enjoy the first few weeks in September when you aren't on placement!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I'll try. I have the horrible feeling I'll be itching to get out of the university into the classroom. Then as soon as I'm on placement I'll be looking to escape the planning and go back to university... I guess the grass is always greener XD
Original post by tory88
Thanks, I'll try. I have the horrible feeling I'll be itching to get out of the university into the classroom. Then as soon as I'm on placement I'll be looking to escape the planning and go back to university... I guess the grass is always greener XD

It sure is, but you're ahead of the game if you already know that.
I'm also preparing to start the PGCE! I'm very excited but the reality of the situation is setting in now!!

I'm doing some reading over the Summer, and completing tasks my uni have set. Otherwise, I'm just trying to enjoy myself...and working to earn some pennies!!

Who else will be joining us in this thread? :-)
Original post by Esmeralda4
I'm also preparing to start the PGCE! I'm very excited but the reality of the situation is setting in now!!

I'm doing some reading over the Summer, and completing tasks my uni have set. Otherwise, I'm just trying to enjoy myself...and working to earn some pennies!!

Who else will be joining us in this thread? :-)

I will :-) just finishing uni tasks too.
Original post by cutebat
I will :-) just finishing uni tasks too.

Awesome! :-) What subject/age?? I'll be doing Primary PGCE. Do you feel prepared??
Awesome! :-) What subject/age?? I'll be doing Primary PGCE. Do you feel prepared??

Sorry I don't know why I didn't add anymore information to that quote! I will be doing primary also. Eeeekkk. Feeling as prepared as I can :-/ have done a bit of reading and almost finished the tasks. What about you? :smile:
Original post by cutebat
Sorry I don't know why I didn't add anymore information to that quote! I will be doing primary also. Eeeekkk. Feeling as prepared as I can :-/ have done a bit of reading and almost finished the tasks. What about you? :smile:

Same, just reading and getting on with the pre-course tasks. I feel pretty prepared in theory but I guess we'll see in September!! I'm suddenly getting doubts about whether I'll be any good as a teacher at all! Probably a completely normal worry... haha
Same, just reading and getting on with the pre-course tasks. I feel pretty prepared in theory but I guess we'll see in September!! I'm suddenly getting doubts about whether I'll be any good as a teacher at all! Probably a completely normal worry... haha

Definitely! This feeling doesn't go away lol. I was so worried going in to placement, then terrified again about staying my first job in nursery. Now I mostly feel I'm still bluffing it and occasionally think I might be a good teacher, but am terrified about moving in to reception next year! And I think this will continue every year.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Definitely! This feeling doesn't go away lol. I was so worried going in to placement, then terrified again about staying my first job in nursery. Now I mostly feel I'm still bluffing it and occasionally think I might be a good teacher, but am terrified about moving in to reception next year! And I think this will continue every year.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm quite relieved to hear that....I think! Lol! At least I know I'm not the only one. :-) Good luck moving to reception!!
I'm quite relieved to hear that....I think! Lol! At least I know I'm not the only one. :-) Good luck moving to reception!!

Thank you. I went to visit my new classroom for the first time yesterday and discuss planning with my fellow R teacher and am now so excited!!! The amount of paperwork needed is very daunting though lol.

And yeah, it is alright- although you still feel unconfident you get a bit more comfortable and less scared, so you're able to branch out and try things more. Plus, although I still feel I'm flawed I can see how much progress I've made in just two years which combats it a little bit!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed my QTS numeracy test this morning so after reading about yours lives over the past year, I'll get to experience it all come September. So nervous and excited. I already have an essay to write for my first day. Is that normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I passed my QTS numeracy test this morning so after reading about yours lives over the past year, I'll get to experience it all come September. So nervous and excited. I already have an essay to write for my first day. Is that normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the uni. Mine gave us tasks like reflecting on chaos, keeping a book record and making a bag about yourself to share. But some will ask for more formal things- I wouldn't panic as I imagine if it's even used for assessment you'll have a chance to redraft and add loads anyway. Probably more just to stimulate thinking.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aghhhh not long now before the start, I'm just reading up on my subject knowledge and buying everything on the list uni students gave us that they said helped them in their PGCE year. Enjoying time with my kids and partner u till I start on the 8th then preparing for 9 months of pure stress. I've given up a perminant post with local government to do this so it's a huge risk for me, I just need to get through it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending