The Student Room Group

21st Special Air Service Regiment (Artists) Reserves

What is the procedure after apply for officer training with the TA to trying to join this regiment?
Reply 2
Thankyou. So even though you can apply directly, already being in the forces is a prerequisit for being an officer?
is it because of Bear Grylls Rafiki?
Reply 4
No, not intirely my uncle was in the regiment and after I finish my degree I was hopeing to join the army in some shape or form for afew years and I think it looks like a challenge.
Although in saying that, I have duel nationality being born in Northern Ireland but having lived since I was 3 in Kenya becasue of my dads diplomatic service work. Which some people say might be a problem
Reply 5
In general terms there are two ways you can do this:

1- Apply to join 21 SAS as a soldier recruit. If you pass all the training - and it is hard and will take serious effort and commitment, then you could ask to apply for TA officer training after a couple of years.

2- Get commisioned in the TA in another cap badge. You could then apply to do the 21 SAS selection course. Basically you go back to square one and do the same training and selction as any other potential recruit. You will be treated as a soldier during this period.

If you do really well they may discuss with you staying as an officer, alternately you may revert to being a soldier for a period and if you show yourself worth it after a period of service may be allowed to "regain" your commision.

If you want to be in 21 there is not (in my opinion) much point in doing much in the way of TA officer training at this stage - get down to 21 and get on ther selection course and see how you do. The drop out rate is pretty serious so you will find out pretty quick if you are likely to be succesful.
Reply 6
Thanks
Reply 7
There is no direct entry officer route into 21/23, except for those already serving as officers with 22. Ex-regular officers from the rest of the Army need to pass the regimental commissioning board, but won't get a date for the board with less than three years service in 21/23, unless they are truly exceptional.

To get to the regt commissioning board with no prior military service will take you about five to eight years, perhaps more. Life as a Trooper -> Corporal is great, though, and really all the officers do is a lot more admin, and not so much of the fun stuff.

Remember, that as a Corporal you'll be a patrol commander, off with your 3-5 lads for up to two weeks with only the radio as contact with the boss(es). That's as much fun as it gets in the Army as a whole. When you've got that hacked, then consider going to the officer's mess.

You'll find that your average trooper in 21/23 has a degree, speaks at least one foreign language fluently, has at least one major skill such as diving, engineering etc., and can run a marathon in under 3 hours 20 without having to train, and I'm being quite serious.

To be an officer takes a lot, as a result.
Reply 8
If your serious about going for 21, join a infantry unit as a Tom during University, become a excellent soldier get used to going around with a lot of weight on your back, learn all the basic skills (not so basic when you join fresh as a civvie) such as weapons handling, navigation and infantry tactics/SOPs get yourself down to Brecon do the Fan Dance in a good time and this should give you a good foundation if you decide to go for 21. Bear in mind to join as an officer in any regiment/corps or as any rank in the UKSF you need to have 5 years residence in this country prior to the application regardless of citizenship. Also the average member of 23 at least does 100 days a year which many employments would not be allow so youd have to pick your employment carefully after Uni.
I came to uni with the intention of joining a TA/ Reserve unit and i spotted E Squadren 21 SAS over in newport. I knew what special forces reserve would entail in terms of commitment and pure fitness!. However got in contact with them just too get some more info and the captain was very encouraging and said that it could be done while at university as the holding troop contained members of Bristol UOTC.
They sent me over a UKSF(R) brochure which explained all the pre-selection training and different stages not to mention a fitness training program. After seriously considering the time and commitment that i would have to give, I decided that I would like to attempt selection in a couple of years, the reason for this?.....its pure experience. From what This captain told me that its best not turn up ill prepared. Even though civilian candidates are given lectures and training evenings prior to the selection week it is a rule of thumb that the more experience and skill one has, the better.
Therefore my plan is to join a local TA unit/UOTC to gain experience in navigation, weapons drills and fitness and then apply. It is in doing this that I can enjoy my free time at university and gain skills at a TA unit and realy start to walk before I can run. I think it is best to take a thorough approach to something like this if you are seriouse about being the 8% who make it through.
What jobs are you looking at after graduation? I'm considering applying for 21 selection but struggling for jobs that would allow such commitments!
You'll find that a number of serving 21/23 SAS individuals class it as their primary 'job' due to the building commitments. Keep that in mind, it's a huge commitment.
Before even thinking of applying to 21/23 I would make sure you have the correct information and guidance (and experience) of how psychically fit you need to be.

Join 4 Para or RMR first! complete either of the training courses and then ask yourself if you have another 1000% to give for 21/23 selection.
Reply 13
There was a member on here (quite a prominent/ controversial one) who is in 23 SAS whilst at university, and I would direct you to him, but he has since been banned a few weeks ago (asked for a permanent ban for security reasons)

He's tipped to become a future Major General or perhaps prime minister if he ever went into politics. He is a very unique man and a bloody good once in a generation operator, perhaps one of the best in the British Army even though he has only been in for 2 years. ( But however, I do know that once he has does his masters and a few more years as a full time reservist SF he wants to leave, join the Marines as an officer and bound up the promotion ladder from there) So it would of been good if he was still around to talk to him but alas he is not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by merrill
There was a member on here (quite a prominent/ controversial one) who is in 23 SAS whilst at university, and I would direct you to him, but he has since been banned a few weeks ago (asked for a permanent ban for security reasons)

He's tipped to become a future Major General or perhaps prime minister if he ever went into politics. He is a very unique man and a bloody good once in a generation operator, perhaps one of the best in the British Army even though he has only been in for 2 years. ( But however, I do know that once he has does his masters and a few more years as a full time reservist SF he wants to leave, join the Marines as an officer and bound up the promotion ladder from there) So it would of been good if he was still around to talk to him but alas he is not.

Oh I love stories about Walts, please tell us more :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by moonkatt
Oh I love stories about Walts, please tell us more :smile:

Completed the fan dance in 2 hours 33 minutes. :wink:

I wasn't joking, but anyway I've just realised this thread is old.
Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest