The Student Room Group

Western Beauty for black women is emulating white women?

What's wrong with this picture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marky Mark

Those neck things are pretty weird.
Gonna guess the hair
Reply 3
Girl on the right looks like Michael Jackson hah.
Reply 4
Eyes and hair! Also...cultural appropriation ??
Reply 5
Original post by goldie56
Gonna guess the hair

The hair is a part of it, yes. It's not the only thing though the whole image is just wrong. Their skins have been whitened, their noses straightened and their weaves, that horse hair looks amazing but unnatural to me.

It's very disconcerting to see 3 generations of black women all aspiring to have white features in order to sell magazines and get paid. To make the whole matter worse they're wearing tribal garbs the only thing missing are nose rings and perhaps discs to insert into their ear lobes.

:puke:
The hair :confused:

Naomi and iman are classic beauties though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The hair is a part of it, yes. It's not the only thing though the whole image is just wrong. Their skins have been whitened, their noses straightened and their weaves, that horse hair looks amazing but unnatural to me.

It's very disconcerting to see 3 generations of black women all aspiring to have white features in order to sell magazines and get paid. To make the whole matter worse they're wearing tribal garbs the only thing missing are nose rings and perhaps discs to insert into their ear lobes.

Why? How do you know their natural skin isn't that colour, as black women can be that colour naturally? And hair extensions are made of human hair.

I straighten my nose with contouring, am I hating on my race? :rolleyes: Or what about when I lighten my hair? Am I rejecting my Spanish roots? Nah, I just like the way it looks.

Black women are just as entitled as anyone else to alter their appearance. When I straighten/curl my hair no one says anything, but the minute a black woman does it she's been brainwashed by European beauty standards and hates her race. Pathetic.

Black women are under no obligation to look "natural" any more than white women are.

Can you hear yourself? You think this os a problem? There is nothing wrong in that picture it's just three black women taking a pose yet you've managed to create something which isn't there, it says a lot about somebody who would be offended by something like this, boardering on the extreme in all honesty.

They're not trying to be white, they're trying to lighter black. When whites tan nobody says they're changing race or trying to, because they aren't. Having straight hair and noses would also include every other race on the planet..
Reply 9
They have all bleached their skin and had plastic surgery on their noses. I do not even need to mention the weaves on their head. What kind of example is this setting to young black women? Is having 'European' features the only way to become successful? The self-hate and identity issues that people face is simply beyond me, it is very sad.
Reply 10
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Why? How do you know their natural skin isn't that colour, as black women can be that colour naturally? And hair extensions are made of human hair.

I straighten my nose with contouring, am I hating on my race? :rolleyes: Or what about when I lighten my hair? Am I rejecting my Spanish roots? Nah, I just like the way it looks.

Black women are just as entitled as anyone else to alter their appearance. When I straighten/curl my hair no one says anything, but the minute a black woman does it she's been brainwashed by European beauty standards and hates her race. Pathetic.

Black women are under no obligation to look "natural" any more than white women are.

That isn't their natural skin colour, you can google for images of their REAL skin colour. Perhaps Rihanna is light naturally since her heritage is different from the other two women's however she has considerably gone lighter since the she debuted. Her nose has also gone from being wide and typically black to being something of a white woman's nose.

This is not the result of heavenly contouring but rather the major intervention of a plastic surgeon. You can't deny that they haven't enhanced their appearance to look more white, there's only so much make up can do. The evidence is piling up.

Who said they have to look natural? They can wear make up sure. But changing the structure of their face by altering their nose shapes and giving themselves defined jaw lines makes them look like completely different people. They're sell outs.

All this "be yourself" advice that is being touted is nothing but garbage.

The message we get from these famous black people is one of self-loathing and disdain for their heritage and identity.
Rihanna's nose is actually much more wider and Naomi's skin has been whitened.
Reply 12
That isn't their natural skin colour, you can google for images of their REAL skin colour. Perhaps Rihanna is light naturally since her heritage is different from the other two women's however she has considerably gone lighter since the she debuted. Her nose has also gone from being wide and typically black to being something of a white woman's nose.

This is not the result of heavenly contouring but rather the major intervention of a plastic surgeon. You can't deny that they haven't enhanced their appearance to look more white, there's only so much make up can do. The evidence is piling up.

Who said they have to look natural? They can wear make up sure. But changing the structure of their face by altering their nose shapes and giving themselves defined jaw lines makes them look like completely different people. They're sell outs.

The message we get from these famous black people is one of self-loathing and disdain for their heritage and identity.

illuminati
They look weird, that certainly is portraying a dangerous message...
Reply 14

Amen! I couldn't have put it better myself.
Original post by moonriver96
Rihanna's nose is actually much more wider and Naomi's skin has been whitened.

'Lightened' you mean.

So what? I wear fake tan most of the time. NO one questions that. Yet when a black woman tries to be a bit lighter, suddenly she's a sell out? That's actually racist lmao.

She doesn't have a white nose at all. Again she;s straightened her nose, so what? Women of all ethnicities get this done - there's nothing wrong with it.

But white women do this too...

No it isn't. The message we get from these famous black people is "I have enough money to fix something about my appearance that was bothering me, so I did". What about white women who have lip enhancements? Are they trying to be black?

Honestly this policing of black women's bodies is disgusting

Nothing.
I am confused, is that a pic of iman ( the somali model) if that is so then what is wrong with her features. Somali hair is like that
Original post by CryptoidAlien
'Lightened' you mean.

i suppose both are acceptable. she's actually a lot darker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending