The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CaitlinDy
I hope physics and chemistry, specializing in possibly quantum physics or just physics and physical/ organic chemistry.

How about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo sounds interesting!
Hopefully going for Biomedical Engineering :smile:
I was looking into roles like orthotist/prosthetist but realised that I'm more interested in the actual devices than actually working only with the patients after some work shadowing.

Original post by Madeleine96
Can I ask what grade on your instruments you are because if you are grade 5 or above honestly do adv music it is the exact same as higher only you have a few more minutes in your repertoire and compositions and an analytical commentary it seriously is not that different...think about it, please?
if you do not want to fair enough but it is near enough the same course

I'm assuming you meant to quote me in this?? I'm about Grade 7 on flute and Grade 5 on clarsach so I could do advanced higher. If I had a choice I'd probably do AH instead of Higher, but my school doesn't have enough people doing AH for a class :frown:, so I'd have to go to another school [which would waste time for traveling which could be used for my science projects] I would honestly prefer having a longer performance time just because I have such a range of pieces which I like.
I might just keep making comments to my teacher like 'Oh why is it such a short time?' and see if he mentions the option to do AH, I can hope haha.
I don't think I could cope with 4 AHs though haha, I want a relaxing year!
I was in a Int1,2,higher and adv class and honestly it didnt make much difference. It is quite a relaxing get up for an adv higher only the commentary takes time and if your grade 7 youll be great haha!
Seriously, I would consider it, it will get you more ucas points and is more satisfying that higher as it isnt as much of a wasted year :smile:
Original post by Madeleine96
I was in a Int1,2,higher and adv class and honestly it didnt make much difference. It is quite a relaxing get up for an adv higher only the commentary takes time and if your grade 7 youll be great haha!
Seriously, I would consider it, it will get you more ucas points and is more satisfying that higher as it isnt as much of a wasted year :smile:

True, but I don't know whether I could just do the course in my school or if I'd have to go to another school for those periods. I don't really see the big deal with UCAS points tbh - I have enough for the course I want to do so I don't really need anymore haha, I get what you mean though!
Original post by AshleyClark
Advanced maths
Advanced physics
Advanced chemistry
Advanced mechanics
Higher biology
Science baccalaureate

Goodbye social life :L

Why do that to yourself? You applying to English unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenladybird
Ooo sounds interesting!
Hopefully going for Biomedical Engineering :smile:
I was looking into roles like orthotist/prosthetist but realised that I'm more interested in the actual devices than actually working only with the patients after some work shadowing.

I'm assuming you meant to quote me in this?? I'm about Grade 7 on flute and Grade 5 on clarsach so I could do advanced higher. If I had a choice I'd probably do AH instead of Higher, but my school doesn't have enough people doing AH for a class :frown:, so I'd have to go to another school [which would waste time for traveling which could be used for my science projects] I would honestly prefer having a longer performance time just because I have such a range of pieces which I like.
I might just keep making comments to my teacher like 'Oh why is it such a short time?' and see if he mentions the option to do AH, I can hope haha.
I don't think I could cope with 4 AHs though haha, I want a relaxing year!

That sounds awesome. What type of experience have you done?
I crashes higher biology in 5th year and was so confused, to get an A I learned past paper answers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds awesome. What type of experience have you done?
I crashes higher biology in 5th year and was so confused, to get an A I learned past paper answers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I only found out about the course in June but I was able to shadow an orthotist for two days and I spent a week in a company which designs aortic devices to help blood flow(mainly for older people) which helps prevent blood clots etc.
Yeah, biology is quite confusing :L. I did human biology which wasn't too confusing but my friends all did normal so I just watched them attempting to do all the confusing stuff...and laughed.
Well I only found out about the course in June but I was able to shadow an orthotist for two days and I spent a week in a company which designs aortic devices to help blood flow(mainly for older people) which helps prevent blood clots etc.
Yeah, biology is quite confusing :L. I did human biology which wasn't too confusing but my friends all did normal so I just watched them attempting to do all the confusing stuff...and laughed.

That sounds fantastic and really rewarding! What grades do you need for uni entry? And where do you want to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Con08
What subjects is everyone taking for s6?

Advanced maths
Advanced further maths- statistics
Advanced English
Crashing advanced history
Higher philosophy (or economics depending on my timetable)

already took advanced music a year early and got an A
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Con08
What subjects is everyone taking for s6?

I was thinking of doing advanced higher business but I don't really need any advanced highers. I am wanting to do business with a language at uni. Considering Higher Modern Studies.
Reply 2469
Hey I'm wanting to do international business with a language at uni and Biomedical science... Would it be ok if I applied to both when doing my UCAS stuff or should I just choose one... help?!
I might have to change some of my courses and I was thinking of crashing higher geography. Could anybody tell me what it's like?
Original post by ashleymacleod
I might have to change some of my courses and I was thinking of crashing higher geography. Could anybody tell me what it's like?

A lot of people do it, might be a bit behind but I'm sure you can manage
That sounds fantastic and really rewarding! What grades do you need for uni entry? And where do you want to go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's actually not too bad to get in, it's something like AAAB for the BEng which is similar for most science/engineering courses. :smile:
In scotland there's only Glasgow + Strathclyde which offer it :frown:, but I'm aiming for Strathclyde because it has a better engineering department :3

I haven't sat higher but a girl in my year crashed it, imo she wasn't the brightest but she managed to get an A! :smile:
Reply 2473
Original post by Ami_
Hey I'm wanting to do international business with a language at uni and Biomedical science... Would it be ok if I applied to both when doing my UCAS stuff or should I just choose one... help?!

Help guys I'm really stuck on this one, please

My brother crashed it, did no studying and got an A. He wasn't naturally smart either so you'll do fine if you crash it; I was thinking of crashing but I'm not going to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ami_
Help guys I'm really stuck on this one, please

I'm not an expert but I think when you write your personal statement you cannot do two different statements for your subjects (I'm having to focus mine on both chemistry and physics).

Have you done some experience to see which you may be more suited to and enjoy more? That might help you decide.

There's no reason why you can't apply for both at uni, just your personal statement won't apply to both subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's actually not too bad to get in, it's something like AAAB for the BEng which is similar for most science/engineering courses. :smile:
In scotland there's only Glasgow + Strathclyde which offer it :frown:, but I'm aiming for Strathclyde because it has a better engineering department :3

That's excellent! I'm sure you'll get in to one of them, especially if your grades are decent and you've done a fair bit of experience.

The course I'd like to do it only offered in one university (woohoo)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2477
I'm not an expert but I think when you write your personal statement you cannot do two different statements for your subjects (I'm having to focus mine on both chemistry and physics).

Have you done some experience to see which you may be more suited to and enjoy more? That might help you decide.

There's no reason why you can't apply for both at uni, just your personal statement won't apply to both subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!

I crashed it and it was my easiest subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2479
If a Uni is looking for ABBB and someone has BBBBC would they consider an offer?

Quick Reply