The Student Room Group

Failed A-Levels (What now?)

Just received my A2 results. My subjects are Literature in English, Law, and Psychology, and my grades are DUU respectively.

I am now f***ed because I did not meet the requirement for law degree at my university of choice (minimum 2 A-levels passes).

What do I do now? I'm really disappointed. But right now I really want to know what else is there that I can do other than re-sitting, because I'm turning 21 next year and really don't want to go through year 12 again.

Thanks in advance.
how the bloody hell did you get them today?
Original post by ruthlessv

This. What even?
Original post by ruthlessv

CIE results came out today, they always come out earlier than the uk board results:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sellerofdreams
CIE results came out today, they always come out earlier than the uk board results:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair enough
Reply 5
If you got a U at a-level law isn't it a bad idea to study law at degree level?
(Just my general thought.)

I'd maybe suggest doing a placement at a firm, and aim for an apprenticeship rather than exam based learning?
Reply 6
The fact that someone could get into law with only two a-levels makes me think less of law as a degree
11 years ago, I got Bad a levels (EED) and I genuinely thought that was it, I know exactly how you feel. I wanted to sit there feeling sorry for myself.

My family straight away made me get a job and have been working in retail since. Since then, I got married and have 2 children and also have a mortgage on my house. Up until a few years ago, I thought I'd never study again, I felt I was not smart enough, but recently I just felt confident enough to go back to studying and change career (I'm starting an access course and hoping to do Audiology).

It's ironic really, because I actually enjoy my work a lot more now than ten years ago. I think it's to do with life experience and gaining your confidence again (for me this was through my job) and having the right people around you (my wife, family and colleagues) and having different responsibilities (family) to when I was younger.

I know exactly how you feel, my advice is to not think it's the end of the world and whatever you do, enjoy yourself, work as hard as you can and learn from it.
And remember, life isn't simple, whatever path you take, as everyone has problems to deal with (or you could say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by The_Smurf
If you got a U at a-level law isn't it a bad idea to study law at degree level?
(Just my general thought.)

I'd maybe suggest doing a placement at a firm, and aim for an apprenticeship rather than exam based learning?

I know, that's what I thought. But thing is, my dad wants me to do law. This is the second time I fail my foundation, which is why I really do feel a bit depressed with myself right now.

Apprenticeship? I've heard of it before, but don't really know what it is. Will look it up. Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by bibliboo
11 years ago, I got Bad a levels (EED) and I genuinely thought that was it, I know exactly how you feel. I wanted to sit there feeling sorry for myself.

My family straight away made me get a job and have been working in retail since. Since then, I got married and have 2 children and also have a mortgage on my house. Up until a few years ago, I thought I'd never study again, I felt I was not smart enough, but recently I just felt confident enough to go back to studying and change career (I'm starting an access course and hoping to do Audiology).

It's ironic really, because I actually enjoy my work a lot more now than ten years ago. I think it's to do with life experience and gaining your confidence again (for me this was through my job) and having the right people around you (my wife, family and colleagues) and having different responsibilities (family) to when I was younger.

I know exactly how you feel, my advice is to not think it's the end of the world and whatever you do, enjoy yourself, work as hard as you can and learn from it.
And remember, life isn't simple, whatever path you take, as everyone has problems to deal with (or you could say, the grass isn't always greener on the other side :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I'm having thoughts of giving up studying, but I'm trying my best right now to move on and look for solutions instead. This is my second time failing, so I really need to figure out what the problem is, which is why I'm thinking of going for a gap year. Do you think working for a year would help me?

Good to hear that you're studying again! I guess, things really do work out in the end, as long as you work hard for it. Don't know why, it's quite comforting to have you mentioned about having a wife with kids.
Thank you for your advice :smile:
Original post by K_o_46
The fact that someone could get into law with only two a-levels makes me think less of law as a degree

Law degrees depend on the University.
Original post by EvaEva
Yes, I'm having thoughts of giving up studying, but I'm trying my best right now to move on and look for solutions instead. This is my second time failing, so I really need to figure out what the problem is, which is why I'm thinking of going for a gap year. Do you think working for a year would help me?

Good to hear that you're studying again! I guess, things really do work out in the end, as long as you work hard for it. Don't know why, it's quite comforting to have you mentioned about having a wife with kids.
Thank you for your advice :smile:

Your welcome,
Do I think working for a year would help? I'd say so. Definitely speak to your family about what to do, and whatever you decide, definitely try to get there backing and their confidence in you (it may not be easy to but it helps).
And remember - enjoy yourself, but fun is overated - and very expensive as well (i.e save as much as you can , it'll come in very handy)
Original post by EvaEva
I know, that's what I thought. But thing is, my dad wants me to do law. This is the second time I fail my foundation, which is why I really do feel a bit depressed with myself right now.

Apprenticeship? I've heard of it before, but don't really know what it is. Will look it up. Thank you :smile:

An apprenticeship is run by the government whereupon you will work for a company to become experienced and educated at the same time. At the end of the year/2 years you will receive qualifications and also have work experience behind you to go into a job.
You do get paid on apprenticeships (mostly) but it is less than normal minimum wage (usually) due to you also being in 'education' at the same time.

Don't let your parents bully you into doing something they want. It is your life, you need to live it for yourself.
After all when they are gone you will still be there, and you want to be happy in what you are doing.

Quick Reply

Latest