The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Is the Bright network event before you guys start Uni?

Contemplating going as I start on the 15th..
Reply 161
Original post by Jack_95

I don't move in until October 4th
Original post by miss_jj
Someone tell me; could I become an investment banker with a Politics & international relations degree?!
Already have done a placement at
Goldman Sachs
??!..

Clearly
Original post by John Maddon
Before I go any further I'll just say take everything I say as opinion as I'm guessing I'm the same age as you. But as advice.. :smile:

I believe having a Law degree and moving into the areas of IB you are interested in ,as they are front office roles, would be challenging. This issue is not the reputation or difficulty of degree but the lack of mathematical content in a Law course. However, it is not impossible but top tier IB's will be looking for mathematical degrees i.e Economics, Physics and obviously Mathematics. You could always look into a Masters in something along these lines but that would be something to research on your own.

In terms of your career - Do whatever you want to do!!! Apply no matter what if you think you want to do it. Even if you don't get a place at least you tried. No regrets and all that.

A career in IB will most likely come from first securing a graduate place... the chances of getting a place on one of these is increased by doing a summer internship..... chances of getting on one of these is increased by doing a spring week and so on.

GET RELEVANT EXPERIENCE is key as banks aren't going to care if you were captain of a hockey team in college blah blah... they want the candidate who will potentially make them the most money and you need to show them that is you.

Extra- Curricular stuff can help but again relevant work experience trumps this any day.

I am currently at JP Morgan Bournemouth trying to get as much experience as possible. Although the Front Office is not based here there is still a lot of potential to learn and there are graduate recruiters who know about the London schemes.

I hope this helps. I to am in your position of wanting to go into this area of work but it is so so competitive. :smile:

Original post by Aenigma
This is not great advice, although I appreciate you didn't claim to know any better.
There are lawyers who end up in M&A. Lots of large law firms focus on M&A transactions and it is not terribly uncommon for lawyers to 'change sides'.

As Caesar95 suggested, going to do an MBA would be a good idea.

I had a long conversation to someone working in M&A at Morgan Stanley who trained and worked as a lawyer for sometime before doing an MBA and then going to work for MS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is true. The 'changing side' point is something that I see myself doing later on if I opt against going straight into banking.

The only point I would say that Law can be fairly hard to sell with regards to FO recruitment, especially at the initial stages of your degree.

There is often a misconception that law is a vocational degree. As a result, a law student applying for a SW is often viewed just like a medical student when applying for a SW by HR and even bankers. I'm sure you can imagine how that looks.

I got thoroughly challenged on why I was not applying for law related SWs during interviews this year. I'm pretty sure it cost me ultimately the SW that I wanted most, since I was pretty much lying through my teeth and couldn't back it up.

For Caeser95, as a law student, you're in my opinion slightly worse off than someone just doing a general Arts degree. You need to be active at Oxford, join investment and finance societies and get on it. As a law student, it looks slightly dodgy to apply on a whim to banks, since your ECs are likely to be law related (i.e debating, mooting)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aenigma
At most banks they are automatic, so everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry - I think you misunderstood- I meant how many people are shortlisted to the stage following the online tests (i.e first round interview)?
And to what extent is dependant on your performance in the tests?
Thanks a mil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The-Illusionist
Sorry - I think you misunderstood- I meant how many people are shortlisted to the stage following the online tests (i.e first round interview)?
Thanks a mil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tests are a filter to see whether you're worth the telephone interview.
Original post by The-Illusionist
Thanks a mil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops, sorry. I'm not sure exactly. At some banks I think they interview everyone who passes but at others, I think the pass rate is dependent on the people taking it and they only take the top 20/30/40%

That said, the above is conjecture and I'm really not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack_95

My freshers week starts on the 15th but I don't mind missing one day as I hope to get the train back up as soon as it ends :smile:
Original post by Aenigma
Oops, sorry. I'm not sure exactly. At some banks I think they interview everyone who passes but at others, I think the pass rate is dependent on the people taking it and they only take the top 20/30/40%

That said, the above is conjecture and I'm really not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Reply 169
I got my invite today to Bright Network Investment Banking. Just need to decide if it's worth the trip from Northern Ireland
Original post by CD315
I got my invite today to Bright Network Investment Banking. Just need to decide if it's worth the trip from Northern Ireland

Got the invite today to, although I had a telephone interview beforehand instead of a video one earlier which was weird. The lady said that the requirements are AAB to attend the event even with a place - has anyone else been told this?

Congratulations on the place. :smile:
Original post by CD315

Got the invite today to, although I had a telephone interview beforehand instead of a video one earlier which was weird. The lady said that the requirements are AAB to attend the event even with a place - has anyone else been told this?

Congratulations on the place. :smile:

Congrats to you both!
Original post by CD315

If you're set on banking, it's invaluable for the networking opportunities. You could always make them up throughout your first term, but this provides a lot of firms in one place.

Good job! The Bright Network's official admissions criteria is AAB+, so I'd expect that to be right
Reply 173
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
If you're set on banking, it's invaluable for the networking opportunities. You could always make them up throughout your first term, but this provides a lot of firms in one place.

I guess so. Some decent names going so far - DB, UBS, RBC, HSBC, CS - a few of which have Spring Weeks that I'm really interested in.

Did you attend this last year?
Original post by CD315
I guess so. Some decent names going so far - DB, UBS, RBC, HSBC, CS - a few of which have Spring Weeks that I'm really interested in.

Did you attend this last year?

If you can justify the cost of the trip, I'd say it's worth it for sure.

I attended last year, yep (was a first year in Philosophy & Economics). Transferred to History this month (going into first year) so I'm attending this year too :tongue:
The lady said that the requirements are AAB to attend the event even with a place - has anyone else been told this?

I wonder how they expect to monitor this. As long as you're predicted AAB+, surely they will be none the wiser, if say, come results day you come out with ABB.
Original post by Selym95
I wonder how they expect to monitor this. As long as you're predicted AAB+, surely they will be none the wiser, if say, come results day you come out with ABB.

You're told to submit your revised CV after results day. They might not be able to monitor it technically, but CV's will be forwarded to banks attending. Best not to BS anyone
If you can justify the cost of the trip, I'd say it's worth it for sure.

I attended last year, yep (was a first year in Philosophy & Economics). Transferred to History this month (going into first year) so I'm attending this year too :tongue:

I never knew this! **** man, so you're applying for SWs again?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
I never knew this! **** man, so you're applying for SWs again?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am indeed! Hoping to go beast mode this time :cool:
You're told to submit your revised CV after results day. They might not be able to monitor it technically, but CV's will be forwarded to banks attending. Best not to BS anyone

Just enquired out of curiosity.

Fair enough though, guess they're serious about keeping standards high.

Latest

Trending

Trending