The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Chemistry Applicants/Freshers 2014-15

Hi guys!

My name's Jake and I'm one of the Senior Peer Guides for Bangor's Chemistry Department this year! I've made this thread so people who are hoping to join us in September can get to know each other and shoot any questions you may have our way- so, fire away if you have any, good luck with your exam results and I hope I see you all in September! :smile:

Also our Facebook group for when you know you're in!: https://www.facebook.com/groups/278657532297439/?fref=ts
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey I have an insurance place for Chemistry with industry :smile: I really liked Bangor but due to the long distance i had to place it as my insurance as Reading is a lot closer ;p At the end of the day i will be happy to go to either as Bangor is a really beautiful and calm place.

Question : Whats freshers week like there?

Question: How Tough is the first year?
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cuckoo99
Hey I have an insurance place for Chemistry with industry :smile: I really liked Bangor but due to the long distance i had to place it as my insurance as Reading is a lot closer ;p At the end of the day i will be happy to go to either as Bangor is a really beautiful and calm place.

Question : Whats freshers week like there?

Question: How Tough is the first year?

It is amazing there, not going to lie! Did you come to one of our open days? You might have been fortunate/unfortunate enough to be on one of my tours haha!

Freshers Week is pretty awesome! You get assigned a Peer Guide who meets you on moving in day, and we take you to all your stuff that needs to be done in the week, like the Department talks and everything, and we plan events for the evening too which are non-compulsory but definitely advised!

Depending on your ability level, I wouldn't say first year is that difficult. Just remember that the labs modules are compulsory and to do your online tests every fortnight and you'll be fine! I know I struggled a lot with the Phys Chem in my 1st year, but that's just because I'm atrocious at maths, but the staff are really supportive and helpful :smile:
Original post by Jakeul200493
It is amazing there, not going to lie! Did you come to one of our open days? You might have been fortunate/unfortunate enough to be on one of my tours haha!

Freshers Week is pretty awesome! You get assigned a Peer Guide who meets you on moving in day, and we take you to all your stuff that needs to be done in the week, like the Department talks and everything, and we plan events for the evening too which are non-compulsory but definitely advised!

Depending on your ability level, I wouldn't say first year is that difficult. Just remember that the labs modules are compulsory and to do your online tests every fortnight and you'll be fine! I know I struggled a lot with the Phys Chem in my 1st year, but that's just because I'm atrocious at maths, but the staff are really supportive and helpful :smile:

Ye i did :smile: I'm not sure if i had you on 1 of my tours though :tongue: Freshers week sounds awesome and i will be definitely getting evolved with as many events as possible.

Ye i've heard a lot that first year mostly covers the foundations of chemistry that you learn in a-level with added higher level content. What sort of maths do you need for first year? i did A-level Maths so I'm pretty confident with calculus etc etc. I love physical chemistry :biggrin: Acid base calculations and thermodynamics <3
Reply 4

Ye i've heard a lot that first year mostly covers the foundations of chemistry that you learn in a-level with added higher level content. What sort of maths do you need for first year? i did A-level Maths so I'm pretty confident with calculus etc etc. I love physical chemistry :biggrin: Acid base calculations and thermodynamics <3

Ugh you're crazy, I hate Maths xD I'd say that's an accurate description- and the Maths isn't that much harder. There's a whole Maths module in Semester 1, but that's basically A-Level for people who haven't done it, so you should sail through that. Other modules include Chemistry 1 (basic Inorganic/Organic/Physical), Computational and Study Skills, Labs 1, Labs 2, Chemistry 2 (Solid State, Thermodynamics, Transition Metals, Functional Group Chem, Kinetics) and the two tutorial modules which build on your understanding of Chem 1 and 2
Reply 5
I've firmed to do chemistry at Bangor, but I screwed up my exams pretty bad. Do you know how lenient the admissions people are on A-Level results?
Thank ye
Ugh you're crazy, I hate Maths xD I'd say that's an accurate description- and the Maths isn't that much harder. There's a whole Maths module in Semester 1, but that's basically A-Level for people who haven't done it, so you should sail through that. Other modules include Chemistry 1 (basic Inorganic/Organic/Physical), Computational and Study Skills, Labs 1, Labs 2, Chemistry 2 (Solid State, Thermodynamics, Transition Metals, Functional Group Chem, Kinetics) and the two tutorial modules which build on your understanding of Chem 1 and 2

I look forward to it :smile: I'm starting to worry about how far away bangor is from my home though :/ where are you from?
Original post by Homefire
I've firmed to do chemistry at Bangor, but I screwed up my exams pretty bad. Do you know how lenient the admissions people are on A-Level results?
Thank ye

Hey what was your offer and where are you from?
Reply 8
Hey what was your offer and where are you from?

My offer was 320 UCAS points with a B in chemistry- and I am from Brighton
My offer was 320 UCAS points with a B in chemistry- and I am from Brighton

no way , where abouts? and really? that offer seems a bit too high....
Reply 10
no way , where abouts? and really? that offer seems a bit too high....

That's what I thought when I spoke to others. I should be alright for points if they include AS Levels, just the B I need.
I'm from East Worthing
That's what I thought when I spoke to others. I should be alright for points if they include AS Levels, just the B I need.
I'm from East Worthing

Ye my offer is 280 points with a B in Chemistry. Good luck with results day man and i might see you at Bangor- if i end up going to bangor i'll pm you on here and add you at fb if that's cool? us southerners gotta stick together xD
I'm not actually studying Chemistry I've just had my place confirmed to study environmental science but I was wondering if the lectures at Bangor are recorded so you can listen to things again if you wanted to go over something. I know somewhere that I went to an open day said that they did but I can't remember if that was Bangor or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="RobertsClan;49283243"]I'm not actually studying Chemistry I've just had my place confirmed to study environmental science but I was wondering if the lectures at Bangor are recorded so you can listen to things again if you wanted to go over something. I know somewhere that I went to an open day said that they did but I can't remember if that was Bangor or not.

I don't think they are, but you can record them with the lecturers permission, I think.

I look forward to it :smile: I'm starting to worry about how far away bangor is from my home though :/ where are you from?

I'm from Birmingham so about two and a half hours away :smile: I have a friend who comes all the way from Felixstowe though haha xD
[QUOTE="Jakeul200493;49304931"]
Original post by RobertsClan
I'm not actually studying Chemistry I've just had my place confirmed to study environmental science but I was wondering if the lectures at Bangor are recorded so you can listen to things again if you wanted to go over something. I know somewhere that I went to an open day said that they did but I can't remember if that was Bangor or not.

I don't think they are, but you can record them with the lecturers permission, I think.

I'm from Birmingham so about two and a half hours away :smile: I have a friend who comes all the way from Felixstowe though haha xD

ah :smile: its like 6 hours for me on the train :/
[QUOTE="cuckoo99;49306161"]

ah :smile: its like 6 hours for me on the train :/

I think it takes her a similar amount of time :L To be fair, you don't really need to return home that many times- I think I've been home three times this year :L
Reply 16
Do you need to call to confirm your grades or is it possible to do this online? I'm in Vietnam at the moment so phoning would be expensive
x

Hey there I'm someone coming from clearing to Bangor to study chemistry, what accommodation would I be guaranteed and when does applying happen?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by F_shakeey
Hey there I'm someone coming from clearing to Bangor to study chemistry, what accommodation would I be guaranteed and when does applying happen?

Thanks in advance :smile:

You can apply right now from what I remember! Congratulations! :smile: I came through clearing two years ago, I remember what a relief it is to find somewhere xD

All first years are guaranteed accommodation, clearing or not- however, some of the halls may now be full. Your best bet would be to check out the accommodation website https://www.bangor.ac.uk/itservices/admin/halls/applicants.php.en. I know it says the expiry date is in like, July, but it still works- Clearing Applicants can still apply :smile:

More information about the halls can be found here: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/info.php.en

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to send me a message on here or Facebook (Jake Wanstall). Also check out our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/278657532297439/?fref=ts which will hopefully expand to include more than just the Peer Guides after today haha! xD
Do you need to call to confirm your grades or is it possible to do this online? I'm in Vietnam at the moment so phoning would be expensive

You should be able to confirm your grades using UCAS, I'm not sure how foreign entry works though... it would probably be in your best interests to phone if you aren't sure- I know it's expensive, but at the end of the day, if it sets your application in stone I think it should be worth it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest