The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Great goal. Gareth Bale is so good. Amazing cross.

Poor from the left back though, he could have easily made that run to catch ronaldo as Benzema had already ran in the middle of the two CBs.
Ronaldo loves a tap in
Brilliant tackle there

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did Moreno play
Original post by eaqgaeyea
How did Moreno play

Moreno didn't play. Navarro played.
Original post by jam278
Moreno didn't play. Navarro played.

Sevilla are dicks for dragging it on til now then lol
Original post by Jordooooom
Ronaldo loves a tap in

One season, 20 of his 60 goals were tap-ins at the far post.
Bale's cross was magnificent.

It's fairly evident Madrid have the best squad in the world, best player in the world and best manager in the world, not to mention Don Perez.

The mighty Madrid are going to kill Barca this season. It will be so one-sided the Catalans will be crying into their Escalivada for years to come.
I was at the game tonight. That cross from Bale was incredible. That's one of the best lineups I'll ever see.
Reply 6130
Original post by Wilfred Little
He's actually the most underrated player in the world. I think I will cry when he stops playing football.

Anyway I came in the thread to ask if anyone has seen much of that Sanchez lad at Elche, the Colombian? Malevolent, qua?

We are close to signing him.

Decent signing if true. Didn't watch too many Elche games last season but he's quite physical, has good workrate and speed. His technique isn't the best and I remember him being quite sloppy with his passing (e.g. in the last game vs Barça, apart from that great game though), but in Elche's system that wasn't a problem as they don't play the Spanish pass & move game anyway; his role in the team is just to sit in front of the back four, provide tackles & then bomb forward in possession. So not really a typical la liga midfielder, but a good player that I can see doing well in the PL. (He was the one who "conceded" that fake 94th-minute penalty on Pepe in their first game vs Real btw , probably the most memorable moment from him for me :lol: )
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
Bale's cross was magnificent.

It's fairly evident Madrid have the best squad in the world, best player in the world and best manager in the world, not to mention Don Perez.

The mighty Madrid are going to kill Barca this season. It will be so one-sided the Catalans will be crying into their Escalivada for years to come.

wot
Reply 6132
Agree with the bold for Howedes.

I agree with Bojan not being able to cope with the pressure, but I read around his youth career a while ago, and it was along the lines of 'the greatest youth player I've ever seen', 'broke every single la Masia goalscoring record at all levels', 'better than Messi was until the first team', which would make it seem the hype was justifiable? Why was he prematurely (in your view) promoted then?

'the greatest youth player I've ever seen' - Tbh it's easy to say that as Bojan emerged when the RFEF discovered the internet more & Youtube started to get popular, so he probably was just more publicised than others before him. From what I saw of him back then, which admittedly isn't too much (plus I had a noob football understanding), he was good to amazing, but he never impressed me more than players like Thiago, Deulofeu, Adama or as much as players like Halilovic (to name only FCB players). On top of that his performances were in the Segunda B, whereas players like Thiago all played in the Liga Adelante.

'broke every single la Masia goalscoring record at all levels' - I know that's a myth going around the internet, but I've never seen any official source backing it up.

'better than Messi was until the first team' - I suppose people say that referring to him scoring more goals than Messi in the same amount of games for the B team (10 vs 6 in 22) and not because they actually watched both play at youth level & compared them as players. Personally, while his goal tally was nice and he had a good technique, I don't think Bojan ever showed the qualities Messi had even when very young, his vision, dribbling, ball control at full speed etc.

As for why he was promoted, that was down to Rijkaard, who believed he was ready, while both Quique Costas and Pep (Barcelona B coaches back then) thought it was too early. I suppose the promotion was jusifiable as Bojan was great at the B/youth teams, but not urgent, so a 50/50 decision. Had he bulked up more and developed better mentally, it could just as well have worked out. But then Deulofeu or Thiago could have been promoted much earlier with the same arguments on their side.

And yes, the hype about him as a good talent was justifiable, since he was, but the hype about him being the next Messi or even close to him was just plain stupid.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
Decent signing if true. Didn't watch too many Elche games last season but he's quite physical, has good workrate and speed. His technique isn't the best and I remember him being quite sloppy with his passing (e.g. in the last game vs Barça, apart from that great game though), but in Elche's system that wasn't a problem as they don't play the Spanish pass & move game anyway; his role in the team is just to sit in front of the back four, provide tackles & then bomb forward in possession. So not really a typical la liga midfielder, but a good player that I can see doing well in the PL. (He was the one who "conceded" that fake 94th-minute penalty on Pepe in their first game vs Real btw , probably the most memorable moment from him for me :lol: )

Thanks qua. We need a defensive midfielder, seems like he could fit us like a glove then. The passing thing worries me, I don't know how much you've seen of us but we need to keep the ball and improve in that respect, we were downright awful with possession at times last season. Hopefully with Sanchez it was just one game.

It's being reported he is having a medical in Brum today so maybe sorted before Stoke, would be :cool:.
Original post by qua
'the greatest youth player I've ever seen' - Tbh it's easy to say that as Bojan emerged when the RFEF discovered the internet more & Youtube started to get popular, so he probably was just more publicised than others before him. From what I saw of him back then, which admittedly isn't too much (plus I had a noob football understanding), he was good to amazing, but he never impressed me more than players like Thiago, Deulofeu, Adama or as much as players like Halilovic (to name only FCB players). On top of that his performances were in the Segunda B, whereas players like Thiago all played in the Liga Adelante.

'broke every single la Masia goalscoring record at all levels' - I know that's a myth going around the internet, but I've never seen any official source backing it up.

'better than Messi was until the first team' - I suppose people say that referring to him scoring more goals than Messi in the same amount of games for the B team (10 vs 6 in 22) and not because they actually watched both play at youth level & compared them as players. Personally, while his goal tally was nice and he had a good technique, I don't think Bojan ever showed the qualities Messi had even when very young, his vision, dribbling, ball control at full speed etc.

As for why he was promoted, that was down to Rijkaard, who believed he was ready, while both Quique Costas and Pep (Barcelona B coaches back then) thought it was too early. I suppose the promotion was jusifiable as Bojan was great at the B/youth teams, but not urgent, so a 50/50 decision. Had he bulked up more and developed better mentally, it could just as well have worked out. But then Deulofeu or Thiago could have been promoted much earlier with the same arguments on their side.

And yes, the hype about him as a good talent was justifiable, since he was, but the hype about him being the next Messi or even close to him was just plain stupid.

Messi was riding the crest of the first Youtube wave as well though, so that argument isn't completely fair.

I read an Independent article on him which claimed that he scored 900 goals in the youth teams, and various other sources like a UEFA website etc also claimed that. Where the sources differ is how long he was in the youth teams but the accounts ranged from 5-8 years, and one of them said he was averaging 3 goals a game throughout his time in the youth levels. Either way not implausible that he did it or, or that his feats broke every record going.

And everything else boils down to
a) personal opinion and recollection
b) no-one but a few hardcore Catalans know the truth

Which is fair enough I guess, but it does come across as if you're sort of saying 'the hype was unjustified and his failure is evidence of that'; which isn't necessarily true, again just going off other people's accounts? I'm sure you must read Barca forums/opinions from knowledgable people at the club etc, is your opinion the standard position took?

oh and
(plus I had a noob football understanding)

Yeah you haven't changed :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
Messi was riding the crest of the first Youtube wave as well though, so that argument isn't completely fair.

Messi was already in Barca's first team by the time Youtube blew up, I was in college round 2005/6 when it took off and can fully remember him playing for Barcelona then and watching them on SS3. Messi was being hyped at the time, everyone in my college was excited over him but it wasn't because of Youtube, it was because he was playing with Ronaldinho in the Champions League and La Liga.

Bojan didn't play for the first team until 2007. Youtube phenomenons = players like Kerlon.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Messi was already in Barca's first team by the time Youtube blew up, I was in college round 2005/6 when it took off and can fully remember him playing for Barcelona then and watching them on SS3. Messi was being hyped at the time, everyone in my college was excited over him but it wasn't because of Youtube, it was because he was playing with Ronaldinho in the Champions League and La Liga.

Bojan didn't play for the first team until 2007. Youtube phenomenons = players like Kerlon.

And that's fine, but the argument doesn't apply to Bojan either imo. He scored 10 goals in his debut season at age 17.

It's not like the people I'm quoting are just any old random retards, their opinions weren't made off Youtube.

Haha the name Kerlon brings back some memories, I wonder if he even made it out of Brazil with that head-dribble of his. I used to get him and Pato confused at first.

Quaresma. Quaresma is the best Youtube player of all time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6137

Youtube wasn't even online when Messi was playing for the youth teams (and we're talking about 'youth players'), so it's impossible that people followed him through that when he was still a youth player. That wasn't even the point though, why the focus on Messi and Youtube? I said "he probably was just more publicised than others before him", meaning that e.g. it was much easier to get to know about and follow youth Bojan than it was to follow/watch youth Iniesta (e.g.) play. You're mixing this up with the thought that I implied that the people who say this about him were "old random retards" making their opinions off fancy Youtube vids (in a judgmental, negative sense, without knowing much else). It's similar to how I said that Alex Grimaldo was more publicised than Manquillo, even though they're not far apart in terms of talent/quality of performances.

I read an Independent article on him which claimed that he scored 900 goals in the youth teams, and various other sources like a UEFA website etc also claimed that. Where the sources differ is how long he was in the youth teams but the accounts ranged from 5-8 years, and one of them said he was averaging 3 goals a game throughout his time in the youth levels. Either way not implausible that he did it or, or that his feats broke every record going.

Yep, but I haven't seen any club source publish the exact numbers, so was a bit sceptibal and preferred to not use that as an argument, which is, if you go back to what I wrote, all I was saying. I didn't say it was 'implausible'. And even if we assume it's accurate, which it may be, it's not an entirely convincing argument for saying he's the "new Messi" in my eyes; there is much more to their respective games than that, which is why I was mentioning other qualities.

And everything else boils down to
a) personal opinion and recollection

...as does every other player discussion unless we decide to just throw stats around, so well spotted.

b) no-one but a few hardcore Catalans know the truth

To be able to say "he was better than Messi until the first team" without merely referring to the numbers that I quoted or go by "personal opinion and recollection" (which is apparently not distinguished enough for you) based of videos etc, you would need to have followed both players at the youth level. For Messi that was between 2000 and 2003 and for Bojan it was a couple of years later, so not exactly easy for non-locals to do that. Don't see what's wrong in saying that.

Which is fair enough I guess, but it does come across as if you're sort of saying 'the hype was unjustified and his failure is evidence of that'; which isn't necessarily true, again just going off other people's accounts?

Why don't you just refer to what I said then? I said: "And yes, the hype about him as a good talent was justifiable, since he was, but the hype about him being the next Messi or even close to him was just plain stupid", "Bojan was great at the B/youth teams", and also "Had he bulked up more and developed better mentally, it could just as well have worked out". I also said, in the original post that you were quoting, that his "failure" was mostly down to his mentality; by your logic I would have said that his failure was mostly down to a lack of talent. I like/d Bojan, it's just the "new Messi" hype that I don't agree with, which is fair imo, so you can back off.

I'm sure you must read Barca forums/opinions from knowledgable people at the club etc, is your opinion the standard position took?

...that Bojan has never been on Messi's level? Yeah, most agree.

oh and

oh and

Yeah you haven't changed :love:

Great, we can look eye to eye then x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
Youtube wasn't even online when Messi playing for the youth teams (and we're talking about 'youth players'), so it's impossible that people followed him through that when he was still a youth player. That wasn't even the point though, why the focus on Messi and Youtube? I said "he probably was just more publicised than others before him", meaning that e.g. it was much easier to get to know about and follow youth Bojan than it was to follow/watch youth Iniesta (e.g.) play. You're mixing this up with the thought that implied that the people who say this about him were "old random retards" making their opinions off fancy Youtube vids (in a judgmental, negative sense, without knowing much else). It's similar to how I said that Alex Grimaldo was more publicised than Manquillo, even though they're not far apart in terms of talent/quality of performances.

Yep, but I haven't seen any club source publish the exact numbers, so was a bit sceptibal and preferred to not use that as an argument, which is, if you go back to what I wrote, all I was saying. I didn't say it was 'implausible'. And even if we assume it's accurate, which it may be, it's not an entirely convincing argument for saying he's the "new Messi" in my eyes; there is much more to their respective games than that, which is why I was mentioning other qualities.

...as does every other player discussion unless we decide to just throw stats around, so well spotted.

To be able to say "he was better than Messi until the first team" without merely referring to the numbers that I quoted or go by "personal opinion and recollection" (which is apparently not distinguished enough for you) based of videos etc, you would need to have followed both players at the youth level. For Messi that was between 2000 and 2003 and for Bojan it was a couple of years later. Don't see what's wrong in saying that.

Why don't you just refer to what I said then? I said: "And yes, the hype about him as a good talent was justifiable, since he was, but the hype about him being the next Messi or even close to him was just plain stupid", "Bojan was great at the B/youth teams", and also "Had he bulked up more and developed better mentally, it could just as well have worked out". I also said, in the original post that you were quoting, that his "failure" was mostly down to his mentality; by your logic I would have said that his failure was mostly down to a lack of talent. I like/d Bojan, it's just the "new Messi" hype that I don't agree with, which is fair imo, so you can back off.

oh and

#rekt
Reply 6139
Original post by qua
Youtube wasn't even online when Messi playing for the youth teams (and we're talking about 'youth players'), so it's impossible that people followed him through that when he was still a youth player. That wasn't even the point though, why the focus on Messi and Youtube? I said "he probably was just more publicised than others before him", meaning that e.g. it was much easier to get to know about and follow youth Bojan than it was to follow/watch youth Iniesta (e.g.) play. You're mixing this up with the thought that implied that the people who say this about him were "old random retards" making their opinions off fancy Youtube vids (in a judgmental, negative sense, without knowing much else). It's similar to how I said that Alex Grimaldo was more publicised than Manquillo, even though they're not far apart in terms of talent/quality of performances.

To be able to say "he was better than Messi until the first team" without merely referring to the numbers that I quoted or go by "personal opinion and recollection" (which is apparently not distinguished enough for you) based of videos etc, you would need to have followed both players at the youth level. For Messi that was between 2000 and 2003 and for Bojan it was a couple of years later, so not exactly easy for non-locals to do that. Don't see what's wrong in saying that.

oh and

Love it when you get feisty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest