The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad
We've done so well in the market this year and just need two more players. A quality DM and a decent CB. That's all really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, we need a new ST. Giroud has only scored against last seasons top 4 competitively once (2-2 against Liverpool at home 12/13) nowhere near good enough.

Even if we get a DM and CB, going into another season with Giroud being our main recognised striker wouldn't fill me with hope, not clinical enough and in the games against the top teams where chances are few and far between, you need someone who will finish the job. He's great against the smaller teams because we dominate possession and he will have several chances, should be 2nd choice for us.

If we don't get a ST, which is quite likely but do get a DM and CB, I'd give this summer a 7/10, and that's being generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Main news channel in Greece saying a deal to take Kostos Manolas to Arsenal has been agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
Nah, we need a new ST. Giroud has only scored against last seasons top 4 competitively once (2-2 against Liverpool at home 12/13) nowhere near good enough.

Even if we get a DM and CB, going into another season with Giroud being our main recognised striker wouldn't fill me with hope, not clinical enough and in the games against the top teams where chances are few and far between, you need someone who will finish the job. He's great against the smaller teams because we dominate possession and he will have several chances, should be 2nd choice for us.

If we don't get a ST, which is quite likely but do get a DM and CB, I'd give this summer a 7/10, and that's being generous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree and disagree with you.

Agree: We do need an out-and-out striker just as good, if not better than Giroud who brings another different feature to their game that Giroud does, although the need for one is totally flattered by Alexis coming in in many fans' eyes and I can see why (even If I think otherwise) I think Arsene plans to utilise him on the wings till Theo returns, he did say he'll play through the middle sometimes - and Campbell & Theo themselves can always play there as Plans C & D. They should be enough to throw into the mix when giving something different for the big teams to think about, outlets to rattle their cages.

Disagree: We've upgraded on Sagna and Fabianski with Debuchy and Ospina, added another CB/RB/DM in Chambers (his future position is N/A), Alexis obviously and we'll likely add another CB and DM. Many fans I came across expected 2/3 signings, so Arsene and the board have already exceeded expectations and probably aren't finished yet. I think we've got a few healthy dilemmas on our hands in terms of who we play and where certain players play (a la Alexis and Chambers). We've been experimenting with one or two formations too, but that could be an Ozil-effect.

All in all a 7/10 (without generosity).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3363
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I didn't know he could play cdm. Is he good there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not particularly. He hasn't played there in years either, so I don't see why anyone would field him there. He's not leaving Schalke anyway, they just loaned out Papadopoulos so can't afford to let another CB go, and Höwedes is probably the one Schalke player that is least willing to leave.

Original post by barneystin
you watch continental football, right?

what actually happened to him? just an overachieving youth?

More like, not even that great in the first place. Tbh a lot of the hype around him back then was just down to a) la Masia and b) him being promoted to the first team at a very young age, ane with Messi having emerged rel. shortly before him, people saw a (nonexistent) resemblance and assumed that he was actually amazing at the youth level. In reality he was a good talent but not better than other la Masia players who ended up making it or not; in the youth teams or the B team he was ok but did nothing that warranted being promoted so early, and then in the first team he just wasn't as good as others. That said, it's mostly his mentality that held him back at the top level, he just can't seem to cope with pressure. Stoke might actually be a good move for him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
No, not particularly. He hasn't played there in years either, so I don't see why anyone would field him there. He's not leaving Schalke anyway, they just loaned out Papadopoulos so can't afford to let another CB go, and Höwedes is probably the one Schalke player that is least willing to leave.

More like, not even that great in the first place. Tbh a lot of the hype around him back then was just down to him being promoted to the first team at a very young age and very shortly after Messi had emerged, which made people believe that he was comparable to him. In reality he was a good talent but not better than other la Masia players who ended up making it or not; in the youth teams or the B team he was ok but did nothing that warranted being promoted so early, and then in the first team he just wasn't as good as others. That said, it's mostly his mentality that held him back at the top level, he just can't cope with pressure. Stoke might actually be a good move for him.

Agree with the bold for Howedes.

I agree with Bojan not being able to cope with the pressure, but I read around his youth career a while ago, and it was along the lines of 'the greatest youth player I've ever seen', 'broke every single la Masia goalscoring record at all levels', 'better than Messi was until the first team', which would make it seem the hype was justifiable? Why was he prematurely (in your view) promoted then?
A few papers reporting we're looking at Tiote, hopefully not because we need a better quality signing there. I don't think he's much better than Jack would be at CDM.
Quick question: are the Away Boyz a spoof?
Original post by fallen_acorns
Really really hope wenger does not just by a defender who can play as CDM and think 'great, that position is covered' - then play arteta/flamini/new defender in rotation..

Just give ramsey a proper first team partner who is capable of the job.

I don't particulalry see the problem with converting capable CB to CDM, in theory it could work really well, the transition is not hard to make. Also when you think about it, apart from Flamini do we really even have a proper DM? not really they're all just versattile CMs
Original post by rockrunride
Quick question: are the Away Boyz a spoof?

Unfortunately not. But this is what passes for authentic fan culture among a subsection of middle aged, middle class Islingtonistas in the days of pre match humus. Personally I'm not against anyone who likes them being 'shanked up' by local yutes on the way back from one of their shows.
(edited 9 years ago)
Will Flamini engage in gratuitous violence at each and every opportunity?
Will Abou Diaby finally be put out of his misery and undergo euthanasia at the Whittingham Archway?
Will Jack Wilshere roll around on the grass like a recently kicked puppy dog?
Will Mesut Ozil retain his weekly attack-piece in the Mail?

And have the BBC and Phil McNulty written us off to finish 5th in August?

The answer to all of the above is of course, yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28742392
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Will Flamini engage in gratuitous violence at each and every opportunity?
Will Abou Diaby finally be put out of his misery and undergo euthanasia at the Whittingham Archway?
Will Jack Wilshere roll around on the grass like a recently kicked puppy dog?
Will Mesut Ozil retain his weekly attack-piece in the Mail?

And have the BBC and Phil McNulty written us off to finish 5th in August?

The answer to all of the above is of course, yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28742392

Let him. He's a so-called expert, who like all the others, will change their minds during the course of the season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Howedes being thrown out lol

After English media Höwedes is going to leave Schalke 04 in the direction of Arsenal. Is that really true? or is it just a rumor?
Original post by Birdman1234567
I don't particulalry see the problem with converting capable CB to CDM, in theory it could work really well, the transition is not hard to make. Also when you think about it, apart from Flamini do we really even have a proper DM? not really they're all just versattile CMs

I dont have a problem with it in the long run,

But its the time-frame that makes it problematic. Its not going to happen instantly, which means we will be going into big games this season with arteta/flamini next to ramsey.. and we all saw how that ended last season..
Haven't really heard about Manolas, is he any good?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3375

Nothing because it's the metro. You should know better
Original post by AR_95
Nothing because it's the metro. You should know better

I didn't say i didn't think it was complete BS..
Original post by sbarrie2
I didn't say i didn't think it was complete BS..

could see it happening if PSG get di maria, as then they would be forced to sell atleast one player..

But given that they seem to be pretty much out of the race for di maria now, I cant see it happening - and even if it were possible, its probably more then wenger would spend..

If it did by some miricle happen though:

Arsenal sign Cavani becuse PSG sign di maria
PSG sign di maria because madrid sign J rodriguez
Madrid sign rodriguez to compensate for barca signing suarez..

= Thank you liverpool..

(this post is complete BS)

if it isn't reported by one of the reliable reputable sites, just ignore it.

according to caughtoffside, we signed salah last window.
we also made a bid for cavani yesterday too.

it's just all a load of rubbish - nobody knows a thing.
arsenal still have money, so why not link them to cavani, di maria, reus and all the other big names?

however, if you guys did manage to get cavani, i'd probably cry in the corner a little.
there would be no competition for top 4 - you'd be going for the title easy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
could see it happening if PSG get di maria, as then they would be forced to sell atleast one player..

But given that they seem to be pretty much out of the race for di maria now, I cant see it happening - and even if it were possible, its probably more then wenger would spend..

If it did by some miricle happen though:

Arsenal sign Cavani becuse PSG sign di maria
PSG sign di maria because madrid sign J rodriguez
Madrid sign rodriguez to compensate for barca signing suarez..

= Thank you liverpool..

(this post is complete BS)

Your posting style is similar to lukemckeown.

Latest