The Student Room Group

Hello, my name is rjocooper1!

I'm studying... Geography

I'm interested in... Geography

I'm thinking about... Geography
Reply 1
Hey rjocooper1 :smile:

Well it certainly seems like you have made your choice in subjects, but if I may ask, do you prefer Human or Physical geography? I personally detest human geography, it all seems far too political to me. I love comparing case studies of earthquakes, tornados, volcanic eruptions or tsunamis, as tragic as they are!
Reply 2
Original post by BenAssirati
Hey rjocooper1 :smile:

Well it certainly seems like you have made your choice in subjects, but if I may ask, do you prefer Human or Physical geography? I personally detest human geography, it all seems far too political to me. I love comparing case studies of earthquakes, tornados, volcanic eruptions or tsunamis, as tragic as they are!

I much prefer Physical Geography too. Human Geography has it's interesting parts and I do enjoy a bit of politics but studying it at an academic level is more than a bit draining! I'm hoping to switch to Physical Geography if I still can.

My favourite topics in Phys Geog are volcanoes, rivers and meterology. (That's my way of saying, "I'm obsessed with natural hazards but don't want to sound like a psycho") Well I love geomorphology too, but flooding is more useful to know.
Reply 3
Original post by rjocooper1
I much prefer Physical Geography too. Human Geography has it's interesting parts and I do enjoy a bit of politics but studying it at an academic level is more than a bit draining! I'm hoping to switch to Physical Geography if I still can.

My favourite topics in Phys Geog are volcanoes, rivers and meterology. (That's my way of saying, "I'm obsessed with natural hazards but don't want to sound like a psycho") Well I love geomorphology too, but flooding is more useful to know.

Eh don't worry, I am obsessed with natural hazards as well. Many people are. We aren't psychos, we just recognize how utterly awesome they are :wink:I don't mind geomorphology but I was slightly put off it back in year 10 when we spent about 5 lessons in a row talking about Cave-Arch-Stack-Stump and I bombed a question in my GCSE paper on how flood plains are formed because I didn't revise it :colondollar:
Reply 4
Eh don't worry, I am obsessed with natural hazards as well. Many people are. We aren't psychos, we just recognize how utterly awesome they are :wink:I don't mind geomorphology but I was slightly put off it back in year 10 when we spent about 5 lessons in a row talking about Cave-Arch-Stack-Stump and I bombed a question in my GCSE paper on how flood plains are formed because I didn't revise it :colondollar:

Natural hazards are so exciting! I'm a bit fussy with geomorphology, I can't seem to make my mind up whether or not I like glacial geomorphology. I didn't do glaciers at school so they're new to me and they're really confusing, so half of me hates them for being so difficult and the other is sort of intrigued (but mostly "meh I can't be bothered", if I'm completely honest!) I like the coastal geomorphology we did at A level - thankfully I live on the coast so I remembered most of it really easily :tongue:
Reply 5
Natural hazards are so exciting! I'm a bit fussy with geomorphology, I can't seem to make my mind up whether or not I like glacial geomorphology. I didn't do glaciers at school so they're new to me and they're really confusing, so half of me hates them for being so difficult and the other is sort of intrigued (but mostly "meh I can't be bothered", if I'm completely honest!) I like the coastal geomorphology we did at A level - thankfully I live on the coast so I remembered most of it really easily :tongue:

I HATE glacial geomorphology. We did that for AS, and we had to learn all about different glacial and fluvial processes, and all of the landforms like moraines etc. I am still confused about it, it was horrible. For coastal geomorphology we went on a trip to Swanage and went up the coast, it was actually quite fun.
Reply 6
I HATE glacial geomorphology. We did that for AS, and we had to learn all about different glacial and fluvial processes, and all of the landforms like moraines etc. I am still confused about it, it was horrible. For coastal geomorphology we went on a trip to Swanage and went up the coast, it was actually quite fun.

I'm on the fence with glacial geomorphology/anything glacier-related. Favourite geomorphology is fluvial or volcanic. Do you think you'll do a Geography course at university?
Reply 7
I'm on the fence with glacial geomorphology/anything glacier-related. Favourite geomorphology is fluvial or volcanic. Do you think you'll do a Geography course at university?

Agreed, volcanic geomorphology is amazingly interesting. Unfortunately I am not, my hopes are to study English at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest