collegian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone! I'm wondering, what would some econ related EC's be that could help to strengthen an application? I ask because in my country, it's not really expected for students to get industry experience due to the law and how things are set up. Most firms only take students actually in university for things like summer jobs and internships. So what can a high school student do? And what would a UK high school student be expected to have apart from high grades? Thanks for your time.
ItsJJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by collegian)
Hello everyone! I'm wondering, what would some econ related EC's be that could help to strengthen an application? I ask because in my country, it's not really expected for students to get industry experience due to the law and how things are set up. Most firms only take students actually in university for things like summer jobs and internships. So what can a high school student do? And what would a UK high school student be expected to have apart from high grades? Thanks for your time.
Independent reading, IEA essay competition - http://www.iea.org.uk/essaycompetition, create a blog and write your own opinion on current economic affairs etc
collegian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks, but I'm not from the UK so I wouldn't be able to enter IEA. Reading counts as an EC? That's cool. I thought it had to be something established like an internship or summer job or something along those lines.
Colmans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by collegian)
Thanks, but I'm not from the UK so I wouldn't be able to enter IEA. Reading counts as an EC? That's cool. I thought it had to be something established like an internship or summer job or something along those lines.
I agree, read the FT online, The Economist magazine or podcasts and books beyond the undercover economist and freakonomics.

Many people assume that Economics means you must have finance or banking work experience but most Economists like to think you enjoy their subject rather than see it as a passport to a well paid job.

The most useful work experience would be working on a market stall or shop or selling your own stuff on ebay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.54%
Excited but a bit nervous (128)
45.07%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.68%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.72%

Watched Threads