The Student Room Group

Access students - your final results

Scroll to see replies

I was sent a letter today and I was feeling really excited but unfortunately I cannot take the letter as acceptance for enrolment.

There is some small print in the letter that says that I still have to wait until I have fulfilled all of my conditions. This means that I still have to get a C in GCSE maths. :afraid:

I was very disappointed because I rushed down the stairs to read the letter this morning and I was hoping for some good news but at least I now know where I stand.
The wait continues until the 21st of August.. :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
Conditional offers are likely to be for 45 level 3 credits, with 24 achieved at Distinction and the rest at Merit. Where a candidate is taking more than 45 credits at level 3 within the Diploma, offers may specify the subjects where the Distinctions need to be achieved. (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/examples-vocational-and-other-qualifications).

And yes, Cambridge is all units at Distinction, or 45 credits at Distinction in my case. What is it you are wanting to study? I got an interview at Magdalene College but no success :frown: So congrats! Haha.

Quite true. Whilst a lot Unis do not use the UCAS tariff points explicitly as part of their offers (mostly just citing the three grades they'd like from A-Level), hopefully they'll get more of an appreciation for what the course is!

Oh great! I am doing Law, as the name might have given away. Haha.

Wow that's crazy - my offer for Bath was 39 Distinctions... I wonder if they will revise that for this years admissions cycle!

I applied for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences, and got pooled and fished by my original college Lucy Cavendish.

Where are you going to be studying law?
Original post by Bright_blonde
Wow that's crazy - my offer for Bath was 39 Distinctions... I wonder if they will revise that for this years admissions cycle!

I applied for Psychological and Behavioural Sciences, and got pooled and fished by my original college Lucy Cavendish.

Where are you going to be studying law?

Haha, exactly. It makes no sense whatsoever for there to be such a large difference. I suppose it would be analogous to Oxford asking for AAB and Bath asking for A*AA. On my course at least, the Bath offer would require Distinction in all units and the Oxford one would require Distinction in only 3 out of 5.

Ahh, congratulations! That must have been a very anxious and exciting time. I am going to Exeter, which only asks for 12 credits at Distinction and 21 at Merit. Another huge discrepancy! Whoda thunked it
Haha, exactly. It makes no sense whatsoever for there to be such a large difference. I suppose it would be analogous to Oxford asking for AAB and Bath asking for A*AA. On my course at least, the Bath offer would require Distinction in all units and the Oxford one would require Distinction in only 3 out of 5.

Ahh, congratulations! That must have been a very anxious and exciting time. I am going to Exeter, which only asks for 12 credits at Distinction and 21 at Merit. Another huge discrepancy! Whoda thunked it

I wonder whether people actually go there with only 24 D's... The supervisions and rigorous work load of Oxbridge is intimidating, I wouldn't want to go with fewer distinctions than I have because I would feel under prepared (I do now actually).

Oh yes of course you said about Exeter! It's an awesome uni, you'll have a fab time I'm sure 👍😁
I wonder whether people actually go there with only 24 D's... The supervisions and rigorous work load of Oxbridge is intimidating, I wouldn't want to go with fewer distinctions than I have because I would feel under prepared (I do now actually).

Oh yes of course you said about Exeter! It's an awesome uni, you'll have a fab time I'm sure

Well, very few attend Oxford with AAA, as well. You obviously need to impress a lot. Maybe they consider the journey people have been on if they have been away from formal education for some time. As in, they might do poorly in the first few assignments and then peak in the later ones (as is supposed to happen). Haha, Oxbridge can do what they want, though. They don't feel the need to explain themselves.

Thanks. And I'm sure you'll have fun at yours—I hear it is not too shabby as Unis go. I am wondering for the people who did get offers/interviews at Oxbridge, do you think your GCSE results were judged hugely? I managed to get an interview with Bs and Cs at GCSE!
Well, very few attend Oxford with AAA, as well. You obviously need to impress a lot. Maybe they consider the journey people have been on if they have been away from formal education for some time. As in, they might do poorly in the first few assignments and then peak in the later ones (as is supposed to happen). Haha, Oxbridge can do what they want, though. They don't feel the need to explain themselves.

Thanks. And I'm sure you'll have fun at yours—I hear it is not too shabby as Unis go. I am wondering for the people who did get offers/interviews at Oxbridge, do you think your GCSE results were judged hugely? I managed to get an interview with Bs and Cs at GCSE!

Yes maybe that is so about Oxford, although of the two I thought Oxford was much less holistic in it's approach to Mature Students, Cambridge seemed much better equipped to deal with, and understand, any problems mature students have or had had in my opinion. ������

God I have terrible GCSE's B's and C's, I did have to explain myself at interview though... I've heard Oxford look at GCSE's more but this could be for standard age applicants. How old are you out of interest?
Yes maybe that is so about Oxford, although of the two I thought Oxford was much less holistic in it's approach to Mature Students, Cambridge seemed much better equipped to deal with, and understand, any problems mature students have or had had in my opinion. ������

God I have terrible GCSE's B's and C's, I did have to explain myself at interview though... I've heard Oxford look at GCSE's more but this could be for standard age applicants. How old are you out of interest?

I agree with your stance. Oxford invites fewer people to interviews, as well. I think it is about 50% invited to interview at Oxford and 90% at Cambridge. I read that some time ago so I could be wrong. I certainly feel I would never have been invited to interview at Oxford on the basis of my GCSE grades.

I am only 20! I turn 21 in December, so I technically won't even be a mature student when I matriculate. Around 20-25 was the average age on my Access course. My GCSE grades weren't mentioned as they mainly looked at my interests since I left school. My subject-interview was all about me and my personal-interview was all about the subject, where I had to try to argue my case about the legal profession to two of the most respected members of the legal profession. So for me, my GCSEs were not holding me back even though they were only 4/5 years ago.
Reply 87
Original post by cathyhelen
I was sent a letter today and I was feeling really excited but unfortunately I cannot take the letter as acceptance for enrolment.

There is some small print in the letter that says that I still have to wait until I have fulfilled all of my conditions. This means that I still have to get a C in GCSE maths. :afraid:

I was very disappointed because I rushed down the stairs to read the letter this morning and I was hoping for some good news but at least I now know where I stand.
The wait continues until the 21st of August.. :eek:

I'm in the same position! Bring on the 21st.
I got my results on the 7th of August. I did Humanities and Social Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, Economics) and got 45 credits at Distinction, 12 credits at Merit and 3 credits at Pass. I held a conditional offer with Southampton University as my firm choice. It changed to unconditional firm on Friday. They had asked for 30 credits at Distinction and 15 credits at Merit. Since I have surpassed my required grades I am going to register for adjustment. We shall see what happens.

Congratulations to everyone for completing your diploma. I hope you're happy with your results. :smile: Xx
Reply 89
I've got another quick question for those that have already had their places confirmed - Did you have to wait for Track to update to have your place confirmed, or did your uni let you know after you sent them your results?

I only ask as I emailed a copy my results to my uni this morning, but Track is down until Thursday when Alevel results come out, and i'm wondering if i'll have to wait until then to find out if my place is confirmed or if there's any chance of uni letting me know before then.

Thanks!
Original post by Darkwater
I've got another quick question for those that have already had their places confirmed - Did you have to wait for Track to update to have your place confirmed, or did your uni let you know after you sent them your results?

I only ask as I emailed a copy my results to my uni this morning, but Track is down until Thursday when Alevel results come out, and i'm wondering if i'll have to wait until then to find out if my place is confirmed or if there's any chance of uni letting me know before then.

Thanks!

I think you have to wait until results day to find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

I think due to the limited functionality of the UCAS website you may have to wait for your firm choice to become unconditional on the 14th. :smile: You could always request the university send you a confirmation letter to give you peace of mind and allow you to apply for a student bank account etc.

Thanks!

I emailed the transcript through to the Uni about 4 weeks ago. I got confirmation off the admissions dept for my course that I'd met the conditions but they had to pass the information into the uni's central admissions dept. I had an email to say my track was updated last week. Until I saw it there in black and white I didn't take it for granted that I had a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have finally received my transcript. :biggrin:

I am now waiting for my GCSE maths result/certificate and Access certificate.
Finally received my certificate/transcript today too! Rang my college again, they forwarded me to the right people and I was able to pick it up. :smile: Keep bugging your colleges
I just phoned my college and was assured they were posted first class today. I'll probably spend all tomorrow morning hovering by the front door, waiting for the postman.
Finally got my certificates! :biggrin:
Original post by Schadenfreude65

Yaay finally ! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Schadenfreude65

WOOOOO HOOOOOO! I have my Access certificate too. I was away for a few days so it must have arrived a couple of days ago. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Congratulations. Nice to finally have it in black and white, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest