The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Good progress is progress :biggrin:
Reply 81
Didn't go to the gym on Sunday because I was hungover to hell (also missing iaido), and just spent all day in my flat. And if that weren't enough, I didn't meet my nutrition goals for that day and the following day. I'll be making up for that as the week progresses by eating a surplus, though it wasn't a good start to the week.

Hit the gym yesterday though. Un-pumped and unmotivated, I went anyway. I didn't think I would make any gains due to missing the gym on Sunday and I didn't feel right for it. I felt weak. Weak everywhere, except in discipline. The reality was I saw gains in every exercise.

Workout A
Squats 5x5 45kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bench press 5x5 32.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bent over row 5x5 32.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Barbell shrugs 3x8 32.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Tricep extensions 3x8 27.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Straight bar 3x8 20kg Managed +2 reps
Cable crunches 3x10 30kg No problem

Warmed up with a 5 minute run, then started with squats. Upped it to 45kg and managed it. After the first set I was concerned I might not make all 5, but I pulled it out the bag. Followed up with bench press and bent over row, which felt the same. All the exercises maxed me out, except for cable crunches. I set it to 30kg which was the same as Thursday's workout, which I wanted to confirm due to the different labelling on the weights (last week I was working with "60"). Straight bar also saw gains as instead of maxing out at 3x8, I had 2 more reps in me, bringing my final set up to 10 reps.

Warmed down with a run to the train station.
Nice.

Good to go when not feeling good and have an awesome session.
Reply 83
Hit the gym after work yesterday for Workout B, had a bit of an awkward session but mostly saw more progress.

Workout B
Squats 5x5 45kg One set of 50kg
Deadlift 1x5 60kg Overdid it
Standing press 5x5 25kg One set of 30; failed
Bent over row 5x5 30kg No problem
Close grip bench press 3x8 30kg Increase of 7.5kg
Straight bar 3x9 20kg Increased set length by x1
Cable crunches 3x10 40kg Increase of 10kg

It was pretty busy when I got there, so after waiting a while for a squat rack, when I went to load my weights I didn't have the right denominations for 47.5kg. I ended up deciding to try 50kg for 1 set, then deciding that was too much and dropping down to 45kg. Still an increase over last workout, but not as good a workout as if I had been able to squat 47.5.

Deadlift I upped to 60kg because I had been having trouble doing the exercise properly with the smaller weights, since the smaller diameter of the weights causes the barbell to rest too far down. I managed my 5 reps like a boss, but I think I overdid it because my lower back muscles were immediately sore and still are today.

Standing press I had a similar problem with - I wanted to try 27.5kg but I didn't have the weight denominations, so I tried to increase to 30kg. I managed one set which was a real struggle, then dropped down to 25kg for another 2 reps, before failing.

Bent over row was a -10% day, so I deducted 2.5kg from last workout's 32.5, but found it a walk in the park. I'm really wondering about this 10% business because for the moment unless I'm upping my weights I'm not pushing myself.

Close grip bench press - the last time I did one of these it was 22.5kg which I recorded as "just right", but I've been making progress with my standard bench press and I decided to up it to 30kg. Managed it and felt it was about right.

Straight bar was a success - I've been aiming for the past few workouts to increase from 3x8 to 3x9 and this time I managed it. Now I'll push for 3x10.

Cable crunches I upped again because I was still finding them easy, this time by 10kg. They're getting heavy now that they exert a significant upward pull on my body, making it more difficult to get into position. Completed my sets with no difficulty. I'm starting to think my abs are pretty strong in proportion to the rest of my body.

Nutritionally I've been doing pretty terribly. For the past week I've found it very difficult to reach my 3,000kcal and have failed most days. Today I expect will be the same, since I ran out of time for 1st breakfast this morning, then later I'm teaching aikido then going out, not leaving me much time to eat. Nevertheless I'll try my best, then maybe have some mega feast tomorrow and stuff my face all day to try to recoup this week's missing calories.

Still on the lookout for more foods that are both cheap and convenient.
loving these long analyses haha
Reply 85
Missed the gym again Sunday because of the stormy weather. Went yesterday though and netted some more gains.

Workout A
Squats 5x5 47.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bench press 5x5 35kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bent over row 5x5 35kg Increase of 2.5kg
Barbell shrugs 3x8 35kg Increase of 2.5kg
Tricep extensions 3x8 30kg Increase of 2.5kg
Straight bar 3x9 20kg No increase
Cable crunches 3x10 45g No problem

Last time I had trouble with getting the right weight denominations for my squats but this time I got them without problems. My form needs improvement since I have a tendency to splay my feet apart too far which causes my knees to bend to the inside of them. I'll keep an eye on this and try to improve it.

Bench press increased by 2.5 and I just about managed it. Struggled with the last couple reps of the last couple sets but pulled it out the bag.

Bent over row increased by 2.5 and those also took me to my max. Barbell shrugs I was able to add an extra 2 reps onto the end of the last set.

Tricep extensions went up to 30kg and were hardcore. Took me to my limit.

Straight bar was a bit dissapointing; I managed 3x9 at 20kg - the same as last time - and that was absolutely the most I could do.

Cable crunches are getting crazy. I upped it by another 5kg to 45kg and still was able to do my sets without a problem. Maybe I'm doing it incorrectly and turning it into a big compound exercise, who knows - but the machine maxes out at 50kg.

Nutrition is failing miserably. Finding it so hard to eat enough food - if I'm busy all morning at work I don't necessarily have time to take a break to eat 2nd breakfast, which sabotages me completely. Need to get this aspect of my programme under wraps as it must be affecting my progress.
Reply 86
Just had my health assessed.

Height: 185.5cm
Weight: 68.5kg
BMI: 19.9%
Body fat: 10.9%
Skeletal muscle: 44.1%
Visceral fat: 2
Blood pressure: 125/72
Resting calories: 1,616

Will update OP with my current stats.
Original post by miser
Just had my health assessed.

Height: 185.5cm
Weight: 68.5kg
BMI: 19.9%
Body fat: 10.9%
Skeletal muscle: 44.1%
Visceral fat: 2
Blood pressure: 125/72
Resting calories: 1,616

Will update OP with my current stats.

Got any pics? That bf % would equal crazy definition.

Although at your height/weight i don't doubt it. I'm 15cm shorter and over 15kg heavier... :lol:
Reply 88
Original post by Motorbiker
Got any pics? That bf % would equal crazy definition.

Although at your height/weight i don't doubt it. I'm 15cm shorter and over 15kg heavier... :lol:

I don't have all that much definition. :redface: I'm just thin. But I've increased by 1.5kg ish it seems since starting 3 weeks ago. I know it varies considerably throughout the day though so take it with a pinch of salt, but it looks like progress so far.
Original post by miser
I don't have all that much definition. :redface: I'm just thin. But I've increased by 1.5kg ish it seems since starting 3 weeks ago. I know it varies considerably throughout the day though so take it with a pinch of salt, but it looks like progress so far.

You're lifting more than you were before. That's progress. No question about it. Keep it up.

One of the main reasons I focus on strength goals is because you can see them instantly. Changes in body composition take a long time to become noticeable. I'm talking months.
Reply 90
Original post by illusionz
You're lifting more than you were before. That's progress. No question about it. Keep it up.

One of the main reasons I focus on strength goals is because you can see them instantly. Changes in body composition take a long time to become noticeable. I'm talking months.

Yeah absolutely. I expect it'll take ages to see visible progress on my body but hopefully I'll be able to see something in 6 months.
Reply 91
Bam, another killer workout.

Workout B
Squats 5x5 50kg Increase of 2.5kg
Deadlift 1x5 60kg
Standing press 5x5 25kg
Bent over row 5x5 32.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Close grip bench press 3x8 32.5kg Failed on 7th rep of final set
Straight bar 3x9 20kg Pushed for 12 reps on final set
Cable crunches 3x10 50kg Increase of 5kg

Squats were great - I'd tried 50kg the week before and it was too much for me, but now I managed even an extra rep on the final set.

Deadlift I kept the same weight as last time but this time I was much more equipped to handle it. I'll be increasing it each week from now on.

Standing press was pretty difficult but I managed it.

Bent over row was a -10% day but I increased it compared with last week. 32.5kg was just the right amount to push me to the limit.

Close grip bench press was the real killer today. On my final set I failed on the 7th rep. Will keep the weight the same and try again next week when I expect I'll manage it.

Straight bar was a success - I managed not only my 3x9, but pushed the last set up to 12 reps. Next time I'll go for 3x10.

Cable crunches are finally getting to a weight that give me a workout. Could definitely feel my core after finishing with them today. I've also discovered that although the machines in the weights gym only go up to 50kg, the machine in the cardio gym goes up to 100kg, so I'll be using that from now on. I find it funny that my core is apparently outperforming me with such a big compound exercise like squats.

Looking forward to the next session.
(edited 9 years ago)
In, doing same program as me and roughly same height as me. You're a skinny ****er though :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by Forum User
In, doing same program as me and roughly same height as me. You're a skinny ****er though :smile:

Hopefully not for long. :h: Welcome.
Reply 95
Got home from iaido today, ate some food, looked outside and saw it was windy as hell. :s-smilie: Rain-ish looking clouds, 4 mile round-trip to walk to the gym and back, and I just wasn't feeling it. So grudgingly I decided not to go today.

It made me feel kind of sucky. It took me a while to pin it down. Then, as I was sitting in my boxers watching YouTube videos, I had a Moment of Clarity, and suddenly I understood. Suddenly I thought, "oh ****, this is how it feels to be a little bitch."

Went to the gym and tore it up again today.

Workout A
Squats 5x5 52.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bench press 6x5 35kg Increase of 1 set
Bent over row 5x5 40kg Increase of 5kg
Barbell shrugs 3x8 40kg Increase of 5kg
Tricep extensions 3x8 32kg Increase of 2kg
Straight bar 3x10 20kg Increase of 1 rep per set
Cable crunches 3x10 54g Increase of 4kg

Something about being in the gym deprives me of understanding arithmetic. Maybe gyms are too primal for it, too raw. I started out with a set of squats at 52.5kg and thought "wow, this is light." Then just after I'd accepted I'd made some otherwordly gains, I thought I'd double check the weights, and what do you know, turns out I'd lifted so powerfully that 10kg had straight-up evaporated and I had a barbell with only 42.5kg. That can be an extra warm-up I thought. Upped it to 52.5kg and pushed for 5 real sets.

Bench press I had a little problem with as I couldn't get ahold of any 1.25kg weights. Instead of increasing by 5kg, I decided to stick to the 35kg I did last time. I managed my 5 sets without any trouble, then pushed for a 6th which took me to my limit.

Likewise I had the same trouble with bent over row. Instead of keeping the same weight as last time though, I decided to up it by 5kg to 40kg. It was hard as hell but I lifted with all my might. Fortune favours the bold and all that. :yy:

Spurred on by my previous success I did the same with barbell shrugs, increasing it by 5kg. I did my first two sets at 40kg, but then on my final set I squeezed out an extra 4. I started to see myself as a container of reps. A container of reps, and I just wanted to give, you know?

The machine I use at my Sunday gym for tricep extensions and cable crunches has a slightly more awkward weight progression than my weekday gym, so I increased my tricep extensions by 2kg instead of 2.5kg. This was plenty though as it turned out, as I really pushed hard and finally failed on my second-to-last rep. It's an isolation though, and isolations are in gym programmes to teach us patience.

Cable crunches I upped by 4kg from my last workout. At 54kg that's approximately 80% of my bodyweight, and it almost pulls me off the ground. I thought heavy thoughts and dug deep for 30 reps. One day I will need heavy trousers or something.

Stretched down and walked the 2 miles home. Time to eat.

Edit: Oh yeah, and straight bar. I managed the 3x10 I was aiming for, plus an extra rep at the end just to show the bar who's boss.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am watching this thread so that I can motivate myself to get fit and do some workout. :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by Juichiro
I am watching this thread so that I can motivate myself to get fit and do some workout. :smile:

Good for you! There is space on the gains train for everyone (unlike on First Great Western which could learn a thing or two).
Some seriously good progress :biggrin:
Reply 99
Just realised that today is the 1-month anniversary of my gym induction. Hooray.

Seems a reasonable start so far. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest