The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex Doran
Apparently Hull have just agreed a £12m fee for Shane Long to Southampton. At just 6m on fantasy league he could be a steal in a decent attacking side if he can get a starting position. Can't believe Brucey got that much for him (as a Hull fan I am well happy) but he could score goals when given the chances despite possibly the worse pre season of any player ever.

I agree, you got a very good fee for him. However I'm not sure how you are going to replace him, he is actually one of the better strikers among the lesser teams (no offense). Jelavic at Hull is certainly not enough to get you through the season and him + Shane Long had an impressive partnership last season.
Original post by Mister Dead
It never ceases to entertain how, almost without fail, any slightly combative post I make arguing the merits of one player or team over another will get lobbed in the recycle bin by a self-satisfied TSR policeman. Good job!

That Evans stuff was pretty tame for you, tbh. :lol:

Also, £12m for Shane Long is an utter embarrassment. Pelle + Long is not a £37m strikeforce. Southampton ended up selling their best players as they had no choice as they wanted out, now other clubs know they have money. Not turned out too well for them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_wizard123
Welcome back!

To register, go to http://fantasy.premierleague.com and use the following league code:

Spoiler

Current league members:

Spoiler

Current money league entrants:

Spoiler

Here is the link to the previous thread:

Spoiler

And a link to the Fantasy World Cup, if anybody is interested in knowing how it went :wink: :

Spoiler

And copied from the previous thread:

Registrations will only be accepted if you post your team name in this thread. You have until the start of the season to do so or you will be removed from the league. This is to prevent randoms joining who have gained access to the code. Anyone who has not submitted their team name and is in the Head to Head league will be removed before the league kicks off.

To ensure that only proper members of TSR are in the league, you should ensure that you have a post count of 500 or more (from anywhere within TSR) by the end of September. Don't be put off by this as it may change or be scrapped altogether to save me time from going through and removing people.

Finally, for the H2H leagues: there are three divisions of 20 teams. The top 6 (+2 others) go into the top division next year. After 19 weeks (the halfway point), the top 3 in each league will be entered into a 'Champions League' for the final 18 weeks.

Good luck to everybody, apart from Colbert.

All leagues are full :frown:
Original post by xmertic
All leagues are full :frown:

Sorry about that - there are still the FPL, UFPL and money leagues to join, though!
Reply 944
Original post by Amphiprion
They werent rotated a lot though last season, Nasri was the preference as he was in my team for most of the second half of the season. He has just signed a new 5 year contract extension, sealed himself a pay rise and did not go to the world cup so has the whole "fitness" thing in his favour (personally I don't understand how having played a handfull of games in June/July categorises some of the highest paid pro-athletes in the world as unfit to partake in season openers in August).

at the end due to injuries all 3 of them were played thoroughly but at the start of last season they were rotated
In

coquenham coquespur
Original post by Amphiprion
I agree, you got a very good fee for him. However I'm not sure how you are going to replace him, he is actually one of the better strikers among the lesser teams (no offense). Jelavic at Hull is certainly not enough to get you through the season and him + Shane Long had an impressive partnership last season.

I sort of see what you mean but I don't agree. He looks very flashy and impressive off the ball and he makes good runs but that is what we bought Ince and Snoddy for. They can make the runs and stretch the defence now.
The problem with Long is that his finishing is embarrassing. In pre season he must have missed easily 10 sitters from inside the box. He just can't seem to score when he gets an easy chance.
For £12m I think we can sign an actual goalscorer to score 15+ a season as a lone striker with Jelavic as sub (we have a good midfield now so play 5). There are really good options available for that sort of price range and Brucey has shown that he rarely makes mistakes when buying players.
Personally I would love to see either Jordan Rhodes or Troy Deeney as they are both finishers. They provide a physical presence and will score goals. In a number 9, the only attribute you need is the ability to score because we have a decent squad providing everything else. If we get a goal scoring striker we will defo stay up and potentially get top 10 (or a decent cup run.)
Don't know if it's been posted already (i'm just going by the OP) but there are now prizes for the top 5:

1st: £25 Amazon voucher
2nd: £10 voucher
3rd: £5 voucher
4th & 5th; Subscriptions on here
Original post by sr90
Don't know if it's been posted already (i'm just going by the OP) but there are now prizes for the top 5:

cool, good to see TSR getting invested in this thread :smile:

(though lest be honest.. its really only prizes for the top3 :wink: )
Apparently Hull have just agreed a £12m fee for Shane Long to Southampton. At just 6m on fantasy league he could be a steal in a decent attacking side if he can get a starting position. Can't believe Brucey got that much for him (as a Hull fan I am well happy) but he could score goals when given the chances despite possibly the worse pre season of any player ever.

damn, i had him in my team before
you reckon it's worth finding 0.5m and upgrading bojan?

Original post by sr90

please please let me get 4th or 5th :wink:
Reply 950
Just realised I haven't joined the Leagues, thought it'd be automatic. :indiff:
picking your inital fantasy team has to be one of the most stressful things
Any Everton fans know whether Lukaku definitely won't start this weekend? FPL has him as 'doubtful' due to match fitness, which makes sense, so if he's very unlikely I'll replace him with Bojan for this week.
Reply 953
Original post by Stevelee

Wait till you watch a match where you're captain is playing, then you'll know real stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
damn, i had him in my team before
you reckon it's worth finding 0.5m and upgrading bojan?

If he gets a starting spot at Southampton then he could be a good buy as he will be given so many chances that not even he could fail to score 15 a season (no matter how hard he tries.) I can't see him being more than a squad player although it is a lot of money to spend on a squad player and a hell of a lot to spend on Shane Long.
Personally I would drop one of your big midfielders (assuming you have at least 3) and replace them with Siggy or someone similar. Then use the extra money to get Dzeko or Adebayor. Strikers nearly always get more points than midfielders.
Original post by Stevelee

It really is much better to wait until about a week before. Most people who don't (myself included every year) end up with only about 3 of the players we originally picked. Every time I think I am finished, a transfer happens or it turns out Mariappa won't start (WHY NOT????) and I have to go again. I just seem to change my mind every day, I don't know why I bothered to start it weeks ago.
Reply 956

Opinions on this team? May take out Dzeko for a better midfielder.
Chelsea fans, should I buy Cech or Courtois??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asr11

Opinions on this team? May take out Dzeko for a better midfielder.

good, good, good, groan, good, good, good, good, good, good, good,
If he gets a starting spot at Southampton then he could be a good buy as he will be given so many chances that not even he could fail to score 15 a season (no matter how hard he tries.) I can't see him being more than a squad player although it is a lot of money to spend on a squad player and a hell of a lot to spend on Shane Long.
Personally I would drop one of your big midfielders (assuming you have at least 3) and replace them with Siggy or someone similar. Then use the extra money to get Dzeko or Adebayor. Strikers nearly always get more points than midfielders.

exactly - my main criteria is that all players in my starting XI are always starters.
that's why i don't have dzeko; he's quality at times but doesn't always play, esp now that jovetic is moving up

well my strikers are sturridge, rooney, bojan
but costa may do reallllllly well for chelsea

i wanna keep sturridge (partly due to my own bias) because i know he'll score a ton for liverpool
and rooney creates and scores loads for united, so i dunno :/

too stressful :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest