The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Any other Undergraduates considering private accomadation?

*First year undergraduates
Looking around private accomadation costs around 300/month. Oncampus costs around 100-120/week. So around 450/month. That's around 1800 difference for the whole year. I could do a lot with nearly two thousand pounds. Just wondering is oncampus accomadation worth the extra money?

And yeah I'm doing economics next year lol

EDIT: Also, it looks like there's no economy standard, self-catered rooms available for 1st years?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oiuyt
*First year undergraduates
Looking around private accomadation costs around 300/month. Oncampus costs around 100-120/week. So around 450/month. That's around 1800 difference for the whole year. I could do a lot with nearly two thousand pounds. Just wondering is oncampus accomadation worth the extra money?

And yeah I'm doing economics next year lol

EDIT: Also, it looks like there's no economy standard, self-catered rooms available for 1st years?

campus pros; social, more sleep you get, don't need to maintain things (broken pipe), don't need to pay for ulities.
University of York
York
Usually it works out to be about the same base price if you just take a 40 week let which is what normal undergrads do.

Utilities will cost you somewhere in the region of 400-500 for everything [water/internet/gas/electricity].

If you compare an all inclusive 40 week to a private 52 week the price is very similar for much less of a headache.

Now I guess if you intend to live there the whole year, then yes, private is reasonably cheaper.

The first year experience relies heavily on your location though. The only case where I'd suggestion a student not live in the university accommodation for their first year would be if they're living at home instead.
Reply 3
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
Usually it works out to be about the same base price if you just take a 40 week let which is what normal undergrads do.

Utilities will cost you somewhere in the region of 400-500 for everything [water/internet/gas/electricity].

If you compare an all inclusive 40 week to a private 52 week the price is very similar for much less of a headache.

Now I guess if you intend to live there the whole year, then yes, private is reasonably cheaper.

The first year experience relies heavily on your location though. The only case where I'd suggestion a student not live in the university accommodation for their first year would be if they're living at home instead.

Thanks that was a great response, exactly what I was looking for
Reply 4
Just to add to that - I had a reasonably horrifying experience with a student house contract this year with my housemate breaking his lease and all of us being liable. These are the sort of things you don't want to be dealing with in first year when you're finding your feet and getting to know the city, living alone, etc. Not to mention that my second/third years in a house where the rent was lower than halls worked out more expensive with bills and all of the cost of maintaining a house when it came down to it.
Reply 5
Horror stories aside.

I find it ridiculous that the university on its website and during open days tries to pressure undergrads into living on campus through creating the illusion that, otherwise, you will have lots of trouble making friends, have problems with the upkeep of the house etc. . If you are a reasonably sociable and outgoing person no one will stop you from making friends. Also, there are plenty of good quality accommodations close to campus for as low as 65 ppw, for a 10 month let. Since you share the bills you shouldn’t pay more than 40 pm that’s 300pm total. Do the math and you’ll see what a great business the on campus housing is for the university…
Reply 6
Original post by Mo-jo
Horror stories aside.

I find it ridiculous that the university on its website and during open days tries to pressure undergrads into living on campus through creating the illusion that, otherwise, you will have lots of trouble making friends, have problems with the upkeep of the house etc. . If you are a reasonably sociable and outgoing person no one will stop you from making friends. Also, there are plenty of good quality accommodations close to campus for as low as 65 ppw, for a 10 month let. Since you share the bills you shouldn’t pay more than 40 pm that’s 300pm total. Do the math and you’ll see what a great business the on campus housing is for the university…

Yes, okay, it's true that the university makes money, and if that is a serious issue it's possible to get a better deal with private accommodation. Sorry that I came across as extreme or dismissive!

It is significantly easier to avoid sudden unexpected bills and expenses with university accommodation though, so definitely do take that into consideration if you are living alone or renting for the first time and be prepared for it. Also be very sure on what you're signing. I have been left paying for a 1/4 of a whole extra persons rent after my housemate left and refused to pay. It was easier for the agency (Adam Bennett) to reclaim the money from us than to take him to court. That isn't a horror story, it's the reality of what's happening to me now.

It is absolutely true though that university rent seems inflated, and Mo-Jo is right there, but part of what you're paying for is security that there will be no extra costs or massive heating bills in January so that's something that you should be aware of. I just want to help and stop people being as stupid as I was :smile:!
Reply 7
@hwalmsley thanks for clearing that up.

My post was not directed at you specificlly. I just feel that with fees up to 9000 the university should be gracious enough and offer undergraduate students affordable on campus housing. Right now they are simply taking advantage of freshmen and their parents...
Reply 8
Original post by Mo-jo
@hwalmsley thanks for clearing that up.

My post was not directed at you specificlly. I just feel that with fees up to 9000 the university should be gracious enough and offer undergraduate students affordable on campus housing. Right now they are simply taking advantage of freshmen and their parents...

Also I think there's the feeling amongst students that rates have increased or been bumped up by catering fees to encourage students to choose the new more expensive colleges (when there is less of a price gap) to stop them from feeling so desolate... I'd like to hope there's at least some reason for the increases other than pure profiteering...
Reply 9
I think the university has no other choice than to make a profit from student housing. They simply don’t receive sufficient funding from the state…
I have friends at German Universities and there students are doing everything they can to get on campus accommodation because it’s such great value for money. The Universities simply recieve more money from the state for such things so they don’t have to bleed students.
Anyhow, the money you pay for accommodation gets reinvested into the university… so that’s at least something
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm an exchange student at York st john for like one semester only . So for me university accommodation will be better or private one ? Any advice will be appreciated
Reply 11
not knowing what St John's accomodations are like, just a few points to consider that might be of help

University accomodation:
-you get to know a lot of people in a short period of time
-you might have a better chance of making friends
-you are close to campus
-a certain degree of anonymity
-a lot of people around
-easy to come by and hardly any stress when searching for a property

Private:
-better value for money: you share kitchen, bathroom and living room with less people and chances are your room will be larger than the average on campus room
-not as many people around--> less noise
-no anonymity
-probobly easier for you to leave all the university stuff behind and relax on your own
Reply 12
Original post by Mo-jo
not knowing what St John's accomodations are like, just a few points to consider that might be of help

University accomodation:
-you get to know a lot of people in a short period of time
-you might have a better chance of making friends
-you are close to campus
-a certain degree of anonymity
-a lot of people around
-easy to come by and hardly any stress when searching for a property

Private:
-better value for money: you share kitchen, bathroom and living room with less people and chances are your room will be larger than the average on campus room
-not as many people around--> less noise
-no anonymity
-probobly easier for you to leave all the university stuff behind and relax on your own

Hi . I'll keep these in mind. However I'm from Pakistan I don't know how things work in UK . So if u wanna look for a private accomadation where do I look ? I've been searching on Gumtree and I only see very expensive options . Thank you anyways :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Amna21
Hi . I'll keep these in mind. However I'm from Pakistan I don't know how things work in UK . So if u wanna look for a private accomadation where do I look ? I've been searching on Gumtree and I only see very expensive options . Thank you anyways :smile:

www.spareroom.co.uk
www.rightmove.co.uk
Reply 14
Hi everyone, I am a first year at the University of York so if you have any questons feel free to ask.

tip: If you are not looking to live on campus or did not get the accomodation you wanted, then maybe check out The Student Agency (student run-letting agency for student of the universit of york) as they chage no fees and completly free.

Quick Reply