The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
Considering you're a good striker away from seriously challenging for the title (and maybe getting past the CL last 16 for the first time in forever), and you have all this cash that Zurich loves talking about, I don't see why not.

Who would you go for instead?

Reus + Balotelli. That way we have enough coverage through Reus, Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott so that we don't need an unbelievable striker, just one good enough to score when they are needed (and Balotelli is relatively cheap). Failing that, bid big for the aging Ibrahimovic or Falcao (if Madrid don't snap him up), with back up bids for Jovetic or Higuain.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Would solve our striker problems for time. Wouldn't have to invest in that department for a good 3/4 years easy. In a market where you pay 40m for ozil and 30 odd for sanchez, 51mil is aight.

Considering the form Ozil was in when we bought him, and the potential Sanchez has to change our squad and our title hopes, I would say that money was spent well. £51m for a striker I watch quite often (I watch most PSG games), and he almost always cocks up major chances, I cannot see him being of the same importance and value that justifies the price tag, when we can just go for cheaper alternatives.
Original post by jam278
Your posting style is similar to lukemckeown.

jam pls :frown:

Original post by fallen_acorns
I dont take that as a compliment.. :eek:

And if it were true, considering I was here first by about 6 or 7 years to him, Id say his posting style is like mine :wink:

i don't take that as a compliment...
Original post by BenAssirati
when we can just go for cheaper alternatives.

like?
Reus + Balotelli. That way we have enough coverage through Reus, Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott so that we don't need an unbelievable striker, just one good enough to score when they are needed (and Balotelli is relatively cheap). Failing that, bid big for the aging Ibrahimovic or Falcao (if Madrid don't snap him up), with back up bids for Jovetic or Higuain.

As you say Balotelli isn't the clinical striker you really need. Reus is obviously a big upgrade though and would add goals but you have so much creativity already. Could work tbf. You'd also have to sell both Cazorla and Podolski probably.

**** it spend 90m on Reus and Cavani and just obliterate the bottom 14 teams :cool:
Is it just cos you space your lines out?

I guess it makes it look like you have a lot to say.

A List helps too.
pads the post out.
makes it look longer.
gives the illusion of facts and evidence.

and then at the end people can realise

you said nothing interesting
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
like?

^^
As you say Balotelli isn't the clinical striker you really need. Reus is obviously a big upgrade though and would add goals but you have so much creativity already. Could work tbf. You'd also have to sell both Cazorla and Podolski probably.

**** it spend 90m on Reus and Cavani and just obliterate the bottom 14 teams :cool:

I am happy to sell Podolski, he is a luxury player who has been missing so long I am surprised Wenger hasn't officially declared him dead, and Cazorla can stay as a bench player or replacement CAM for when Ozil eventually gets injured. Balotelli is enough to get the job done imo. Reus wouldn't cost £40m, his buyout clause is apparently active from 2015 and is supposedly £19.8m, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone got an absolute bargain of maybe £25-£30m for him.

We already obliterate the bottom 14. Out of the bottom 10 in the PL last season, I think our record was 17-2-1?
(edited 9 years ago)
Giroud will be our main striker all season with some Sanogo appearances here and there. Don't delude yourselves.
Original post by fallen_acorns
could see it happening if PSG get di maria, as then they would be forced to sell atleast one player..

But given that they seem to be pretty much out of the race for di maria now, I cant see it happening - and even if it were possible, its probably more then wenger would spend..

If it did by some miricle happen though:

Arsenal sign Cavani becuse PSG sign di maria
PSG sign di maria because madrid sign J rodriguez
Madrid sign rodriguez to compensate for barca signing suarez..

= Thank you liverpool..

(this post is complete BS)

Wouldn't it be easier to say psg need to sell due to FFP after spending £50 million on David Luiz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Will Flamini engage in gratuitous violence at each and every opportunity?
Will Abou Diaby finally be put out of his misery and undergo euthanasia at the Whittingham Archway?
Will Jack Wilshere roll around on the grass like a recently kicked puppy dog?
Will Mesut Ozil retain his weekly attack-piece in the Mail?

And have the BBC and Phil McNulty written us off to finish 5th in August?

The answer to all of the above is of course, yes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28742392

Establishment bias rules again. Phil Mcnulty is more pro-United than Mike Riley.
I am happy to sell Podolski, he is a luxury player who has been missing so long I am surprised Wenger hasn't officially declared him dead, and Cazorla can stay as a bench player or replacement CAM for when Ozil eventually gets injured. Balotelli is enough to get the job done imo. Reus wouldn't cost £40m, his buyout clause is apparently active from 2015 and is supposedly £19.8m, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone got an absolute bargain of maybe £25-£30m for him.

We already obliterate the bottom 14. Out of the bottom 10 in the PL last season, I think our record was 18-1-1?

Just looked, yeah you're right (bottom 14 was 21-4-3 though). So against the top 10 it's 6-6-6 which suggests that's the room for real improvement, so a DM is possibly more important than forwards. I can't see Wenger making 3 big signings on top of Sanchez, so maybe a DM plus a striker or Reus is the best to hope for.

Dunno about Reus, I heard something about them wanting 40m if they were to sell him this summer but that was probably just some ****ty tabloid.

We already obliterate the bottom 14. Out of the bottom 10 in the PL last season, I think our record was 17-2-1?

We got 53/60 available points not sure if it was 17-2-1 but that sounds accurate. We need to maintain that (or very slightly improve it) and improve vs the top teams ((the draws vs Swansea (not top 10 but still), Everton and Southampton from winning positions would have put us 1 point off top and we should have won those games)).

I reckon we'll get 83 points this season, don't think it will be enough though.
Just looked, yeah you're right (bottom 14 was 21-4-3 though). So against the top 10 it's 6-6-6 which suggests that's the room for real improvement, so a DM is possibly more important than forwards. I can't see Wenger making 3 big signings on top of Sanchez, so maybe a DM plus a striker or Reus is the best to hope for.

Dunno about Reus, I heard something about them wanting 40m if they were to sell him this summer but that was probably just some ****ty tabloid.

Jesus, 6-6-6? I guess that explains our problems, we are satanically cursed.

I wouldn't want an out-and-out DM because that restricts our creative capabilities. I think we got destroyed in big games because Wenger was suicidal and decided to stick to playing a high line, thus pitting Mertesacker against players like Hazard and Sturridge. I think we should just play more defensively in big games and grind, possibly with Chambers converted to CDM as coverage for Mertesacker in games where we need to grind (against you lot or Chelsea, Liverpool etc). The City game showed us that, even though their team was weakened, as long as we can play a solid defense, we should win almost every game.

I doubt they would want £40m. If the buyout clause is true, then they would ask for a lot less in an attempt to desperately make as much money as possible. Why would someone pay that much if they could wait a year and pay £20m, half as much?
Original post by Pete_91
We got 53/60 available points not sure if it was 17-2-1 but that sounds accurate. We need to maintain that (or very slightly improve it) and improve vs the top teams ((the draws vs Swansea (not top 10 but still), Everton and Southampton from winning positions would have put us 1 point off top and we should have won those games)).

I reckon we'll get 83 points this season, don't think it will be enough though.

I checked and it was 17-2-1 (loss against Villa in our first game).

If we go for 17-2-1 against bottom 10, then that is 53 points.
Against the top ten if we go for maybe 10-5-3, that is 35 points.

I reckon 88 points would be enough for us to clinch the title, and 27-7-4 is an achievable target.
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Wouldn't it be easier to say psg need to sell due to FFP after spending £50 million on David Luiz

Posted from TSR Mobile

it does, but I like to route it back to liverpool rather then chelsea getting a great deal :wink:
Jesus, 6-6-6? I guess that explains our problems, we are satanically cursed.

I wouldn't want an out-and-out DM because that restricts our creative capabilities. I think we got destroyed in big games because Wenger was suicidal and decided to stick to playing a high line, thus pitting Mertesacker against players like Hazard and Sturridge. I think we should just play more defensively in big games and grind, possibly with Chambers converted to CDM as coverage for Mertesacker in games where we need to grind (against you lot or Chelsea, Liverpool etc). The City game showed us that, even though their team was weakened, as long as we can play a solid defense, we should win almost every game.

I doubt they would want £40m. If the buyout clause is true, then they would ask for a lot less in an attempt to desperately make as much money as possible. Why would someone pay that much if they could wait a year and pay £20m, half as much?

Perhaps not a full DM but someone like Schneiderlin who will offer more cover than Arteta, and there's always Flamini if you do need it at some point. Chambers at CDM is interesting, I didn't watch enough Southampton to know if he could convert but maybe. It could lead to the Phil Jones problem though.

With most clubs yeah, but Dortmund are different. They let Lewa's contract run down to get an extra year rather than sell him and get 15-20m.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Is it just cos you space your lines out?

I guess it makes it look like you have a lot to say.

A List helps too.
pads the post out.
makes it look longer.
gives the illusion of facts and evidence.

and then at the end people can realise

you said nothing interesting

:rofl: speaking the word.
Perhaps not a full DM but someone like Schneiderlin who will offer more cover than Arteta, and there's always Flamini if you do need it at some point. Chambers at CDM is interesting, I didn't watch enough Southampton to know if he could convert but maybe. It could lead to the Phil Jones problem though.

With most clubs yeah, but Dortmund are different. They let Lewa's contract run down to get an extra year rather than sell him and get 15-20m.

Absolute morons is the phrase I would use. BVB are the footballing equivalent of the Essex-boy, weekend millionaires you'll see down in Soho on Saturday nights buying long-drinks for people earning x5 more than them and who then spend the rest of the week saying ''money dont interest me mate'' as they ruefully tuck into their economy pack lunch :laugh

With this kind of revolutionary transfer policy, Wenger can probably get them to sell Reus for a half eaten packet of wine gums and 2nd hand copy of 4-4-2 magazine from January 2007, featuring interviews with Jimmy Bullard and Teddy Sheringham. :laugh:

Have heard people praise BVB for letting Lewa go for **** all, and in the same moment mock Wenger for transfers like Adebayor for £25m.
(edited 9 years ago)

Someone like Schneiderlin would be great, but I can only question how it would affect the team. You can't take out Ramsey or Ozil, Sanchez/Ox/Walcott/Campbell are a must for most games, and Wilshere is starting to look like he is properly linking with Ramsey. I can see why a DM would replace Arteta and Flamini, but I still feel like Chambers is a better bet, with defensive and attacking capabilities, and he is certainly more mobile than most DMs. What Phil Jones problem? That he would have too many positions to find his best one?

Dortmund are the Southampton or Arsenal of Germany. Everytime they bring through a world class player, they are forced to sell them for big money to a better team in that league (Munich). You can't blame them for wanting to hold on to the players, but you have to question their logic.