The Student Room Group

PL Final Table Predictions 14-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Assassin
1. Arsenal
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Man Yoo

Damn breh, you think Arsenal will do a madness this season? Naaah man, they will fail when it counts, when they play the big teams.
Original post by jacobt96

Diego Costa had a good season in the BBVA last season (much easier league than the Premier League) although when I've watched him in major games he's hardly scored or contributed at all (Champions League, World Cup)

Would you like a striker who scores 30+ goals a season, or a striker that scores in every big game?

Luis Suarez was also like that, he doesn't score in the big games, but he scores most of his goals against the crap sides. People consider him as the best striker in the world.

Didier Drogba was the opposite. He scored in most of the big games, but wasn't scoring consistently against the smaller sides, apart from 2/8 seasons I think. Drogba is obviously considered a legend. But his consistency didn't matter, his presence alone scared the **** out of PL defenders, and I hope Costa can do the same.

Chelsea will be better off if Costa scores 30+ goals a season.
1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Man United
5. Arsenal
-----------------
6. Tottenham
7. Everton
-----------------
8. Stoke
9. Crystal Palace
10. Southampton
11. Newcastle
12. Hull
----------------
13. Sunderland
14. Leicester
15. QPR
----------------
16. Villa
17. Swansea
18. Burnley
19. West Ham
20. West Brom

Bars indicate a notable gap in points. I think the top 5 will be very close and who to put in 5th was by far the hardest decision. Everton and Spurs will be about 5 points off 5th place.
West Ham will stay up if they let Allardyce do what he wants but if they do impose a new style then they will struggle and he will be sacked. West Brom have signed no one notable, were very poor after Clarke left and have very few standout players. Also Burnley because you sort of have to have 1 promoted team, I hate them and the other 2 seem to strong to go down.
I think Manchester United can win the title tbh. If they win their first 9 or so games, they'll have so much confidence. Plus, the Utd fans will keep them going, like Liverpool fans did with the Liverpool players last season.

Man Utd under Sir Alex, were winning consistently week in, week out. They could easily come back to that way of thinking imo. Especially with LVG around...

Favourites to win the title for me: Man City
Favourites to win the title from the majority: Chelsea
Dark horses: Man Utd, Arsenal
Reply 104
For me, Utd have a better manager now but their squad is no better than it was last season. They continue to be linked to big names, but the simple fact is that none of them have come yet and I really don't think they will. To compete for top 4, they need a top CB, CM and RWB. If they got Hummels, Vidal and Cuadrado for those 3 positions then yea they would probably get top 4 and maybe even compete for the title, but do people really think they are going to get those players? I just don't see it. They will spend the next 2 weeks desperately trying to get them, completely fail and then panic buy 2 or 3 overpriced average players which may just about help them to leapfrog Everton into 5th.

Chelsea need another CB
Arsenal need a CB, DM and striker
Liverpool need a forward
Man City don't really need anything, they just need to get the best out of the players they have

Based on current squad's:

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
---
5. Everton
6. Man Utd
7. Tottenham
---
Don't care
---
18. Burnley
19. QPR
20. West Brom

Like last season, I think it will be very tight between the top 4 and they will all be competing for the title.

[video="youtube;U53QFJFmeV8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U53QFJFmeV8[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Did someone actually seriously say Chelsea need another CB, the position on the pitch we are easily strongest in is defence and we'd just spent 10M on a CB while our backup RB was originally a CB and plays there very well.

People like to make evaluations on teams when they don't even watch them ffs.

Chelsea need a right winger and striker.
Original post by cBay
x

We need 3 top players just to compete for top 4? That's a stretch. If our squad is worse than yours it's definitely not by that much.

Your squad isn't better than Arsenal's either. Their midfield ****s all over yours, and CB is better too. Full back and GK they're just about ahead. Your wingers are slightly better (although maybe not, Sterling is the best of the lot but not miles ahead of Ox and Walcott, while your other wingers are unproven or AMs) and striker of course yours is better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by manchesterunited15
We need 3 top players just to compete for top 4? That's a stretch. If our squad is worse than yours it's definitely not by that much.

I thought 3 was me being kind tbh. 4 is more like it, because one new CB isn't going to be enough if you're playing 3 at the back. It's not about your squad, it's your first team. Your front 3 and GK are brilliant, Shaw and Herrera are just about top 4 quality, and the rest belong in midtable teams.

Your squad isn't better than Arsenal's either. Their midfield ****s all over yours, and CB is better too. Full back and GK they're just about ahead. Your wingers are slightly better (although maybe not, Sterling is the best of the lot but not miles ahead of Ox and Walcott, while your other wingers are unproven or AMs) and striker of course yours is better.

A lot of this is personal opinion I suppose. Man for man, Arsenal's team was probably better than ours last season too, but it's about having the right balance in the team and playing a system that allows the players to thrive.

In terms of star players, Arsenal definitely beat us (Ozil, Ramsey, Sanchez), but imo they are also have more holes in their squad.
Original post by WhiteRoseHull

I reckon Leicester will be boring and just stay safe all season

I'll take that without a doubt.
Reply 109
Original post by jam278
Did someone actually seriously say Chelsea need another CB, the position on the pitch we are easily strongest in is defence and we'd just spent 10M on a CB while our backup RB was originally a CB and plays there very well.

People like to make evaluations on teams when they don't even watch them ffs.

Chelsea need a right winger and striker.

Who did you sign? I must have missed it...

I was under the impression the first choice back 4 would be Luis, Terry, Cahill, Azpi, and then your only other defender was Ivanovic (and youth players like Kalas and Zouma).

I'm surprised you think you need a striker considering you've just signed Costa and Drogba.

You have plenty of good options at right-wing. You don't really 'need' one, you just want one. Lets face it, if you do buy one, he'll probably won't live up to your expectations and end up sitting on the bench like the other 4 have done. Sooner or later, one of them will prove you wrong and turn out to be a top-quality player.
(edited 9 years ago)
Accrington Stanley Champions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cBay
Who did you sign? I must have missed it...

I was under the impression the first choice back 4 would be Luis, Terry, Cahill, Azpi, and then your only other defender was Ivanovic (and youth players like Kalas and Zouma).

I'm surprised you think you need a striker considering you've just signed Costa and Drogba.

You have plenty of good options at right-wing. You don't really 'need' one, you just want one. Lets face it, if you do buy one, he'll probably won't live up to your expectations and end up sitting on the bench like the other 4 have done.

Zouma is not a youth player. He is essentially our version of Rafael Varane.

Costa is good, but being an injury away from having Torres and Drogba starting all season is a pretty precarious situation to be in.

Right wing we have Willian, Schurrle and Salah and only Schurrle is worth of note in an attacking sense.
Reply 112
Original post by jam278
Right wing we have Willian, Schurrle and Salah and only Schurrle is worth of note in an attacking sense.

All 3 were highly rated before they came, you're just not getting the best out of them.
1.Chelsea
2.City
3.Arsenal/Liverpool
5.Manu

Will be very close, similar to last season.
Original post by cBay
I thought 3 was me being kind tbh. 4 is more like it, because one new CB isn't going to be enough if you're playing 3 at the back. It's not about your squad, it's your first team. Your front 3 and GK are brilliant, Shaw and Herrera are just about top 4 quality, and the rest belong in midtable teams.

Oh I agree we need signings (2 for me, CB and CM, but I understand people saying 3 or 4), but it was you saying top signings I disagreed with. You mentioned Hummels, Vidal and Cuadrado, but Rojo and 2 more of that level would be enough. I think 4 CBs + youth (Blackett has done well in preseason) for 3 slots is enough with no Europe. Carrick can play there if absolutely necessary, in a 3 atb system he won't be exposed and can be the ball playing CB.
Original post by cBay
All 3 were highly rated before they came, you're just not getting the best out of them.

Schurrle was a good player for leverkusen but not amazing. He's the german Walcott, useful to have but not good enough to start week in week out for a title challenging team. Best option we have there

Willians assist and goal record for shaktar was pitiful and is equally as pitiful at Chelsea. You can see that he's a good player but his composure in front of goal is terrible, something that you can't blame on Mourinho tactics

Salah is very overrated, he's a space player and did well for Basel where he gets more space than he would get in the prem. His finishing ability is poor and he's not a good player of the ball.
1st Chelsea
2nd Man City
3rd Man U
4th Arsenal
5th Liverpool
6th Everton
7th Spurs
8th Stoke
9th Swansea
10th Crystal Palace
11th Newcastle
12th Leicester
13th Sunderland
14th Hull
15th QPR
16th West Ham
17th Southampton
18th Aston Villa
19th West Brom
20th Burnley
Guess everyone will be changing their predictions now Pulis has left Palace :tongue:
Reply 118
Original post by Mackay
I know it's early, but I love writing out my table predictions at the start of the season and seeing how far off I am when it comes to May. What are yours? Here's mine:

1. Manchester City
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester United

5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Newcastle
8. Everton
9. Southampton
10. West Ham United
11. Stoke City
12. Sunderland
13. Hull City
14. Queens Park Rangers
15. Leicester City
16. Swansea City
17. Crystal Palace
18. Aston Villa
19. Burnley
20. West Bromwich Albion

Lol. Pretty wide of the mark there.

How's everybody else getting on with their original predictions? Plenty tipped WBA to struggle.
I loved this thread. I forgot how happy it made me seeing Albion in most people's bottom three.

Quick Reply

Latest