The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Clearing & Adjustment @ Uni of Manchester

The lists are up :yep:

Home / EU: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applications/clearing-adjustment/home/

International: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applications/clearing-adjustment/international/

Any questions, do feel free to ask me - I'm a Manchester graduate who knows a thing or two :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Just for future reference, this is the full list of courses available in Clearing in 2014 - Part 1 :h:
(please scroll down a bit - I can't for the life of me work out why there's such a long gap before the text starts!)

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Courses available in Clearing at Manchester 2014 Part II :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Do you know roughly the size of the foundation courses ( how many students they take )?

Specifically the engineering one

Or do you have any clue whether so many courses at Manc are in clearing because there are lots of spaces available/haven't filled up or loads of us have failed this year :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do they normally lower grades for clearing courses?

Thanks for answering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Do you know roughly the size of the foundation courses ( how many students they take )?

Or do you have any clue whether so many courses at Manc are in clearing because there are lots of spaces available/haven't filled up or loads of us have failed this year :lol:

I believe the foundation course is fairly large (low hundreds) but I couldn't give a precise figure.

Most universities are in Clearing (there's a list of all the ones that released lists prior to today at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2766660 + more will have released lists today) - there's no longer a stigma to being in Clearing, as everyone is at it. There are fewer 18 year olds around than there used to be, and the funding changes have shifted things too. Manchester actually has far fewer courses in Clearing than last year - it's clearly been a good year from the uni's point of view.

Original post by namaanulhaq
Do they normally lower grades for clearing courses?

Thanks for answering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the course - it's hard to give a definitive answer, but if you're not massively below I'd encourage you to ring up.
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
I believe the foundation course is fairly large (low hundreds) but I couldn't give a precise figure.

Most universities are in Clearing (there's a list of all the ones that released lists prior to today at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2766660 + more will have released lists today) - there's no longer a stigma to being in Clearing, as everyone is at it. There are fewer 18 year olds around than there used to be, and the funding changes have shifted things too. Manchester actually has far fewer courses in Clearing than last year - it's clearly been a good year from the uni's point of view.

Depends on the course - it's hard to give a definitive answer, but if you're not massively below I'd encourage you to ring up.

Thanks for the response! According to the news there is meant to be thousands more places available at higher uni's this year too.

Less 18 year olds and change of fundings shiftings things - by a significant amount though? I'd of thought the number of applications have continued to rise since Michael Gove is so set on stone to make A levels harder
Original post by AR_95
Thanks for the response! According to the news there is meant to be thousands more places available at higher uni's this year too.

Less 18 year olds and change of fundings shiftings things - by a significant amount though? I'd of thought the number of applications have continued to rise since Michael Gove is so set on stone to make A levels harder

Yes, by a significant amount - it used to be the case that all students counted towards the 'cap' on the number of students that the government allows the uni to take. Now, students with ABB+ or equivalent don't count towards the cap, meaning that for most courses Manchester can take as many students as it likes (though practical restrictions like lecture theatre size remain).

In addition, there are fewer 18 year olds than there used to be, which makes the market more competitive, and subject areas like MFLs are struggling to attract enough applicants nationally.
Reply 8
Yes, by a significant amount - it used to be the case that all students counted towards the 'cap' on the number of students that the government allows the uni to take. Now, students with ABB+ or equivalent don't count towards the cap, meaning that for most courses Manchester can take as many students as it likes (though practical restrictions like lecture theatre size remain).

In addition, there are fewer 18 year olds than there used to be, which makes the market more competitive, and subject areas like MFLs are struggling to attract enough applicants nationally.

Ahh fair enough. Why would fewer 18 year olds make things more competitive?

Do you generally have an idea on how competitive engineering is and also compared to other sublects like English/Law/medicine etc
Original post by AR_95
Ahh fair enough. Why would fewer 18 year olds make things more competitive?

Do you generally have an idea on how competitive engineering is and also compared to other sublects like English/Law/medicine etc

Sorry, when I said more competitive I meant more competitive from the uni's point of view - they're competing for applications from a dwindling pool of applicants.

For engineering, it depends on the branch, but if you're interested in going to Manchester to do any of the subjects that are in Clearing, ring them!
Reply 10
Sorry, when I said more competitive I meant more competitive from the uni's point of view - they're competing for applications from a dwindling pool of applicants.

For engineering, it depends on the branch, but if you're interested in going to Manchester to do any of the subjects that are in Clearing, ring them!

Ahh that makes sense

They're my firm choice so clearing is out of the question :lol:
Original post by AR_95
Ahh that makes sense

They're my firm choice so clearing is out of the question :lol:

Good luck for your results! Not long to go now until Track opens :biggrin:
Reply 12
Not long to go now until Track opens :biggrin:

pshhh :rolleyes:
Original post by AR_95

Last year the Science and Engineering foundation year had around 350 students. :smile:
was wondering if i should call up manchester about adjustment or just apply via ucas. my grades are under what they want A* B C so i was wondering if it would be worth calling and explaining that the B was caused by one bad unit and that i got an A in both AS and unit 4, would they care about this or would the fact i got a B and a C make it not worth calling?
Coming to Manchester via adjustment and was wondering when/how i can apply to accommodation.
Original post by angelxox
Coming to Manchester via adjustment and was wondering when/how i can apply to accommodation.

Do you have a 7-digit ID number? If so, you can apply online here: http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/applications/
Original post by charliecm
was wondering if i should call up manchester about adjustment or just apply via ucas. my grades are under what they want A* B C so i was wondering if it would be worth calling and explaining that the B was caused by one bad unit and that i got an A in both AS and unit 4, would they care about this or would the fact i got a B and a C make it not worth calling?

You need to ring them up. The way that Adjustment works is that the university needs to add you in Adjustment, not the other way around. They don't know to do that unless you ring them up! However, if you are just ringing up to enquire you rather than because you want to be added immediately, make sure that you do make this really clear to them - on TSR we see a few horror stories every year of people being added in Adjustment when they didn't want to be, and it's a pain to unpick, so just make sure you're really clear.

With the grades, it will depend on which subject you're applying for, but I definitely think it's worth ringing them up to enquire. The worst they can say is no!

Original post by angelxox

You can still apply, and you are still guaranteed accommodation so long as you apply by the end of the month. There's lots of info here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 :biggrin:
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Do you have a 7-digit ID number? If so, you can apply online here: http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/applications/

You can still apply, and you are still guaranteed accommodation so long as you apply by the end of the month. There's lots of info here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 :biggrin:

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending