The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What grades were you expecting honestly?
Reply 2
Retake the year and reapply next year.

Work your ass off to get the grades you want
Hey sorry to hear about ur results

Don't stress tho it's not the end of the world

U could reapply next year

And have a gap year to make some money travel ect

And even if u dnt end up going to UNi it's not the end u aren't a failure people still make it in life without UNi

Chin up everything will work out in the end :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting to worry now.
Original post by MrHogwash
What grades were you expecting honestly?

I was predicted and expected BBB but i was ill during exams so i guess i didnt do too well. Didn't expect it to be so bad though!
Original post by Kutta
Retake the year and reapply next year.

Work your ass off to get the grades you want

My sixth form won't let me retake the year:frown: and with pakistani parents, explaining failure isn't easy
What subjects, just to be sure what boundaries you lowered.
Reply 8
Original post by -thechosenone
My sixth form won't let me retake the year:frown: and with pakistani parents, explaining failure isn't easy

I'm Pakistani so know your position

Find a local college to sit them,l.

Tell your parents you got passed with CCC but want higher grades so are working harder to get better grades :smile:
Reply 9
Me too, just hoping I'll be let in anyway
If you have done badly - don't panic.

Clearing is one option, but often a better option is to retake/reapply, or to do something else instead,
You can always go to Uni later in life - nowhere does it say you can only go to Uni straight from school.
I got DDE at a level and really want to go to uni. I know clearing isnt right for me because of the courses they have and i don't know what to do:frown: can you still fail and still do well in life?

Of course you do! Don't worry about your grades too much. I am in the same boat as you are.

Maybe you have a lower ability to achieve top grades. A lower ability student achieving their predicted grades are better than a top student who doesn't. I got predicted lower, but I achieved them.
I assume your prediction is BBB right? Don't feel upset if you didn't get it. Maybe your firm and insurance choice can let you in with lower grades.

Or not, you can resit a year again for those modules you did bad on and reapply later.

Taking a gap year is another option. Some people find it useful to get ready for university. I personally think that it's a waste of time because you don't want to get older to go to uni.
What subject do you want to do? And how far off your predictions were you. I wouldn't rule out clearing. If one of the courses you originally interested in is available you might be in with a shot.

Your scores are only ever going to be as good as you can be on the day and you were sick. So don't beat yourself up. You can only go forward from here

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is nothing wrong with going to Uni a little older, hardly anyone at my uni had come straight from school, most had taken at least a year out so if you retake don't worry about that. There are record numbers of clearing places this year so perhaps there is a course that appeals? It will take a while to get over it, but in the next few weeks when it has sunk in you have loads of options to look at :smile:
I know someone who got four U grades and now has a degree in engineering with a job that earns something like 30k a year. It really is not the end.
Reply 15
Apprenticeships? School Leavers Programme?

You don't have to go to uni you know. There are so many other options. Maybe you can do something like an apprenticeship now and work for a diploma later on in life, when everything has calmed down.
Have you thought about a foundation year at university? You can have a year to get back on track and study at university, DDE might be accepted for that, but it means 1 year away from studying the subject at the intensity you might want to. You can apply through clearing, but you should do some research online and look in to universities which offer this.

You can also re-sit your A Levels to get them up to BBB, or do even better than your prediction last time.
I got DDE at a level and really want to go to uni. I know clearing isnt right for me because of the courses they have and i don't know what to do:frown: can you still fail and still do well in life?
You may not have got the grades you hoped for, but these are pass grades and there may well be options in Clearing - have a look and see.
Give yourself time to get over the results
Look into clearing foundation years years it means an extra year of studying but it's better than not going
Get phoning
I would like to reiterate a lot of the comments made above. Although your grades may not be what you were hoping for, there are still options available to you as outlined above.
In terms of Clearing - do not be put off, if a course is in clearing it does not mean it is not "good quality" it just means that there are still places available to be filled. Of course popular courses fill up very quickly and may have higher entry requirements than others, but there are lots of very good courses available at lots of different universities. What course is it you were hoping to study at university? As someone above mentioned sometimes there is a chance you can do a foundation year. This can be a really good way of progressing onto university without having to retake a year. Read Jack James blog about his experiences. Jack James came to Kingston via Clearing onto a foundation route and he has not looked back!

Here at Kingston we offer a range of courses, both straight degrees and also foundation route options. Give us a call on our hotline 0844 842 9599 and hopefully we can help you realise that your world hasn't ended today after all and you can still go on to do what you want.
Kind regards
Kerrie

Latest

Trending

Trending