The Student Room Group

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mansun
I'm sure you will get in wherever you want with those GCSE grades, certainly you should be aiming for AAAB/A*A*A*A* in your A levels.

Yeh I hope so...I just have to BELEIVE lol.
Original post by Mansun
Why did you choose Lancaster, out of curiosity? I have to confess, I fell in love with the campus at Nottingham at GCSE and never looked back. I even turned down UCL to go there. Having seen it again today several years on after graduation, it looks even greener and nicer than it did then, the Trent Building is gorgeous. I chose Royal Holloway as my insurance as it also had a spectacular main building that makes it look like something from Harry Potter.

Portland is pretty nice as well:

Reply 142
Edinburgh, the city as a whole is gorgeous too.

Hull's campus is really nice too, although Hull is definitely not somewhere you'd immediately associate with the word 'pretty'.

If you like Gothic architecture, Glasgow's main building is particularly stunning.

image.jpg
I think King's College, Cambridge is the nicest campus in the world.

Peel at Salford uni. Can pretend you are somewhere posh and ignore the soviet like concrete blocks just round the corner :tongue:
bradford school of management

Original post by ParetoOptimum
I don't think anyone can argue with the sheer scale and mass of Moscow State University's main building

It's bloomin massive

Seeing these unis makes me depressed london u i suck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
Glasgow's main building is bloody gorgeous

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407250867.620316.jpg

Although it does have a fair share of ugly buildings, the Boyd Orr always gets a special mention for being visually unappealing. Luckily most of my classes will be in here!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407250970.836475.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, Boyd Orr - how I loathed it!
Some of the old European universities are pretty amazing - the old bits of Bologna are actually a tourist attraction:

Universityofbologna1_thumb1.jpg

Heidelberg has an incredible location as well as some lovely old buildings:

Heidelberg_Schloss_Stadt.jpg

And since no-one's yet flown the flag for Manchester, I should point out that it has some very nice elements - Whitworth hall and some of the buildings around it like the Coupland and Rutherford - Sackville Street and the old Rylands building. Although sadly a lot of 60s and modern dross as well.

art_science_school_450x350.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Of course Notts also has the downs, which has its own huge outdoor music festival every summer:

Original post by Mansun
Why did you choose Lancaster, out of curiosity? I have to confess, I fell in love with the campus at Nottingham at GCSE and never looked back. I even turned down UCL to go there. Having seen it again today several years on after graduation, it looks even greener and nicer than it did then, the Trent Building is gorgeous. I chose Royal Holloway as my insurance as it also had a spectacular main building that makes it look like something from Harry Potter.

Sorry for late reply- I chose lancaster because I love the course there (psychology), I also really love the campus uni and the collegiate system. I also like the city because I have spent my life living in a big city so I fancy a change

I really wish lancaster uni had old pretty buildings but oh well, it's not a big enough reason for me not to like the uni. Ahhh I would love to go to a university that looked like hogwarts!
Reply 152
Original post by lizziec1996
Sorry for late reply- I chose lancaster because I love the course there (psychology), I also really love the campus uni and the collegiate system. I also like the city because I have spent my life living in a big city so I fancy a change

I really wish lancaster uni had old pretty buildings but oh well, it's not a big enough reason for me not to like the uni. Ahhh I would love to go to a university that looked like hogwarts!

I would say Royal Holloway's Founder's Building is more impressive than Hogwarts, certainly the aerial view is. But close up you soon get used to the building and just focus on business as usual.
Original post by skoav
Edinburgh, the city as a whole is gorgeous too.

Hull's campus is really nice too, although Hull is definitely not somewhere you'd immediately associate with the word 'pretty'.

Good choice of building there, but in my opinion the Business School is even prettier.
Reply 154
Original post by Charliemouse
Good choice of building there, but in my opinion the Business School is even prettier.

Why would anyone want to choose Hull as a firm choice? Sell me on it.
Original post by Mansun
Why would anyone want to choose Hull as a firm choice? Sell me on it.

Well as a mature student, I didn't really have any choice as I wasn't wiling to move cities and leave my partner, I actually turned down a offer from York, though it wasn't the degree I wanted to do anyway.

But to be honest, I really can't complain about the university in anyway. The teaching has been great, one of the top Medieval historians in the country is a professor there so that is perfect for me. The campus is nice, the facilities are overall really good, and now the new library is finished, it has one of best new libraries in the country.

I feel it suffers for being in Hull really, some of the departments are still pretty highly rated, for example nursing is in the top ten and the history and politics departments still have good reputations. Also to attract students to a place where quite frankly, not a lot of people want to live, though to be honest its no where near as bad as it is usually portrayed. The university has had to lower most of the entry requirements, for example to study history here now you only need BBB while just 5 years ago, it was AAA.

Overall though, it is actually just a really place to study, I should also mention the student union is rated as one of the best in the country so thats another plus for it.
Reply 156
Original post by Charliemouse
Well as a mature student, I didn't really have any choice as I wasn't wiling to move cities and leave my partner, I actually turned down a offer from York, though it wasn't the degree I wanted to do anyway.

But to be honest, I really can't complain about the university in anyway. The teaching has been great, one of the top Medieval historians in the country is a professor there so that is perfect for me. The campus is nice, the facilities are overall really good, and now the new library is finished, it has one of best new libraries in the country.

I feel it suffers for being in Hull really, some of the departments are still pretty highly rated, for example nursing is in the top ten and the history and politics departments still have good reputations. Also to attract students to a place where quite frankly, not a lot of people want to live, though to be honest its no where near as bad as it is usually portrayed. The university has had to lower most of the entry requirements, for example to study history here now you only need BBB while just 5 years ago, it was AAA.

Overall though, it is actually just a really place to study, I should also mention the student union is rated as one of the best in the country so thats another plus for it.

I think your BBB/AAA comment opens a can of worms I'd like to discuss in another thread. It is very interesting how offers change with the times, at every university.
Original post by Mansun
I would say Royal Holloway's Founder's Building is more impressive than Hogwarts, certainly the aerial view is. But close up you soon get used to the building and just focus on business as usual.

Royal Holloway's building is based on the French chateau, Chambord, in the Loire Valley:

I've been there twice it's so good. So absurdly huge and extravagant. Visitors can walk about on the roof amongst the spires and towers. I legitimately thought I was wondering amongst Minas Tirith whilst up there

Reply 158
Original post by ParetoOptimum
Royal Holloway's building is based on the French chateau, Chambord, in the Loire Valley:

I've been there twice it's so good. So absurdly huge and extravagant. Visitors can walk about on the roof amongst the spires and towers. I legitimately thought I was wondering amongst Minas Tirith whilst up there

The best so far perhaps?
Original post by Mansun
The best so far perhaps?

Unfortunately it isn't a university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending