The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Chemistry Applicants/Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jakeul200493
You can apply right now from what I remember! Congratulations! :smile: I came through clearing two years ago, I remember what a relief it is to find somewhere xD

All first years are guaranteed accommodation, clearing or not- however, some of the halls may now be full. Your best bet would be to check out the accommodation website https://www.bangor.ac.uk/itservices/admin/halls/applicants.php.en. I know it says the expiry date is in like, July, but it still works- Clearing Applicants can still apply :smile:

More information about the halls can be found here: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/info.php.en

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to send me a message on here or Facebook (Jake Wanstall). Also check out our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/278657532297439/?fref=ts which will hopefully expand to include more than just the Peer Guides after today haha! xD

Thanks a lot for all that info! Makes things a lot clearer.

As a fellow clearing student, what do you think of the bangor chem department? What are the yearly intake roughly and are they a very active bunch of students? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by F_shakeey
Thanks a lot for all that info! Makes things a lot clearer.

As a fellow clearing student, what do you think of the bangor chem department? What are the yearly intake roughly and are they a very active bunch of students? :tongue:

It's a great place to be. I was really worried when I started because I went in pretty much blind- I knew very little about the department or the town, but I can honestly say that accepting a place there was the best decision I've ever made :smile: The staff are all really friendly and supportive, and the rest of the students in the department are the same.

We usually have an intake of around 60-70 students, we're quite a small department so you end up knowing everybody pretty much by the end of Welcome Week! And the answer to the last question would depend on your definition of active :P We have a wide variety to be honest- quiet/loud, sporty/not-sporty... we all know how to have a good time though- the ChemSoc Christmas Dinner and Cocktail Parties are highlights of the year xD

Which halls are you thinking of applying for? :smile:
It's a great place to be. I was really worried when I started because I went in pretty much blind- I knew very little about the department or the town, but I can honestly say that accepting a place there was the best decision I've ever made :smile: The staff are all really friendly and supportive, and the rest of the students in the department are the same.

We usually have an intake of around 60-70 students, we're quite a small department so you end up knowing everybody pretty much by the end of Welcome Week! And the answer to the last question would depend on your definition of active :P We have a wide variety to be honest- quiet/loud, sporty/not-sporty... we all know how to have a good time though- the ChemSoc Christmas Dinner and Cocktail Parties are highlights of the year xD

Which halls are you thinking of applying for? :smile:

That does sound rather nice, coming from London I'd quite like a small uni town and the scenic area around.

That pretty much fits the definition, you don't have an anime & manga society do you?

Hmm not really sure I've just started looking, en suite is a priority for me :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That does sound rather nice, coming from London I'd quite like a small uni town and the scenic area around.

That pretty much fits the definition, you don't have an anime & manga society do you?

Hmm not really sure I've just started looking, en suite is a priority for me :rofl:

I'm fairly certain we do xD We have a society for most things, which you can check out at our Freshers Fair, Serendipity, which will be running on Wednesday and Thursday (I think) of Welcome Week :smile:

If you want an en suite, try to avoid Seiriol, Arfon and Reichel as they're all shared bathroom :smile: Although the shared bathrooms get cleaned daily so they're not as bad as they sound haha xD You have to clean your own en suite :L
I'm fairly certain we do xD We have a society for most things, which you can check out at our Freshers Fair, Serendipity, which will be running on Wednesday and Thursday (I think) of Welcome Week :smile:

If you want an en suite, try to avoid Seiriol, Arfon and Reichel as they're all shared bathroom :smile: Although the shared bathrooms get cleaned daily so they're not as bad as they sound haha xD You have to clean your own en suite :L

Ah that's really good I'll be sure to check em out then! When is welcome week/arrival weekend btw?

Will do thanks for the names, purely want it for convenience but if need be I don't mind shared :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah that's really good I'll be sure to check em out then! When is welcome week/arrival weekend btw?

Will do thanks for the names, purely want it for convenience but if need be I don't mind shared :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will move in on the 20th or 21st, depending on which hall you choose, and then Welcome Week runs from the 20th until the 28th, and lectures start on the 29th :smile:
You will move in on the 20th or 21st, depending on which hall you choose, and then Welcome Week runs from the 20th until the 28th, and lectures start on the 29th :smile:

September?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile: Hopefully it doesn't rain this year! We had lovely weather last year, but my Freshers Week was a bit damp haha xD
Yeah :smile: Hopefully it doesn't rain this year! We had lovely weather last year, but my Freshers Week was a bit damp haha xD

Ah thanks a lot that gives me plenty of time to prepare then, will have to draw up a long list :tongue:

Wales is the land of rain & sheep :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thanks a lot that gives me plenty of time to prepare then, will have to draw up a long list :tongue:

Wales is the land of rain & sheep :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's an unfortunate lack of sheep in Bangor :frown: There is a lot of rain though xD
Original post by RobertsClan
I'm not actually studying Chemistry I've just had my place confirmed to study environmental science but I was wondering if the lectures at Bangor are recorded so you can listen to things again if you wanted to go over something. I know somewhere that I went to an open day said that they did but I can't remember if that was Bangor or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the school of Biological science and the School of Environmental sciences they have made an effort to record many of the lectures on a system called Panopto, the system records the audio and the visuals. Some lecturers will use this system every lecture and others won't use it at all, you'll just have to make sure you take note of those who do and do not. :smile:

Also, as with any technology, beware! I have attended a lecture where the audio failed to record and another where the software wouldn't even start up; long story short, don't get complacent from relying on technology to make notes for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
There's an unfortunate lack of sheep in Bangor :frown: There is a lot of rain though xD

Lies, There are loads of sheep in Bangor, Jake !

you don't have an anime & manga society do you?
Posted from TSR Mobile

You can find a list of the societies and clubs HERE
There is; Bangor animation watchers and lovers
and a Japanese society which I know watch Anime in the Main Arts building regularly.

I prefer chickens anyway :colonhash:

As to be expected from any place in the north west :tongue:

Halls very social?
Original post by DanielJLonsdale
You can find a list of the societies and clubs HERE
There is; Bangor animation watchers and lovers
and a Japanese society which I know watch Anime in the Main Arts building regularly.

Thanks for that I'll have a good look, do you guys recommend going to the clearing open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lies, There are loads of sheep in Bangor, Jake !

NOT ENOUGH xD
Thanks for that I'll have a good look, do you guys recommend going to the clearing open day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth it just to get a look at the department- I went to the one they put on for my year, and having a look around helps alleviate some of the questions you'll no doubt have- plus you get an amazing bus tour of the local area! And halls are quite social, you'll be in a flat of around 8 on Ffridd Site with a shared kitchen, and there's never a shortage of nights out etc.
In the school of Biological science and the School of Environmental sciences they have made an effort to record many of the lectures on a system called Panopto, the system records the audio and the visuals. Some lecturers will use this system every lecture and others won't use it at all, you'll just have to make sure you take note of those who do and do not. :smile:

Also, as with any technology, beware! I have attended a lecture where the audio failed to record and another where the software wouldn't even start up; long story short, don't get complacent from relying on technology to make notes for you.

Thanks for that, to be honest I learn better taking notes myself anyway, somehow it just seems information just seems to sink in much better when I do. Although it would be great to have a backup just incase I find what I've written makes no sense at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's worth it just to get a look at the department- I went to the one they put on for my year, and having a look around helps alleviate some of the questions you'll no doubt have- plus you get an amazing bus tour of the local area! And halls are quite social, you'll be in a flat of around 8 on Ffridd Site with a shared kitchen, and there's never a shortage of nights out etc.

I think I'll be attending then though it'll be a long day :tongue:
Sounds very social and nice, hoping to get accommodation sorted soon!

Best en suite places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I'll be attending then though it'll be a long day :tongue:
Sounds very social and nice, hoping to get accommodation sorted soon!

Best en suite places?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're all mostly the same :L Y Borth, Y Glyder and Cefn y Coed are the older ones, and the rest are fairly new :smile: Just remember that Arfon, Seiriol and Reichel are shared bathroom :P

Quick Reply

Latest