The Student Room Group

Why do girls continue to shun STEM - science, technology, engineering and maths?

Do girls not see it as interesting to study degrees in STEM subjects?

Scroll to see replies

I'm just more interested by the humanities. I love science too, but for me history and geography etc. are more interesting.
This thread has been done over and over again on TSR. :mad:
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
This thread has been done over and over again on TSR. :mad:

That is why it is called what it is as a thread question. Girls are not listening.
Reply 4
Original post by Mansun

Assumedly if someone chooses not to study something, no, they don't see it as being as interesting as the subject they chose...
(edited 9 years ago)
I love Humanities, it interests me far more than STEM.

But girls don't shun STEM in my experience; the majority of girls I know are opting for sciences and maths.
Reply 6
They don't. I've never seen one do that
Reply 7
STEM subjects are hard, but they don't half make job hunting easier when you graduate, especially if you have gone to a traditional university. The postgraduate STEM courses are also easier to get onto, and often cheaper.
Original post by Mansun
That is why it is called what it is as a thread question. Girls are not listening.

I have a more interesting question:

With reference to this table: http://www.ucas.com/data-analysis/data-resources/data-tables/he-subject (the first table)

Why did the number of applicants for mathematical sciences (G) drop dramatically in 2013?

PS: Girls are listening but things take time
Reply 9
Original post by Pokémontrainer
I love Humanities, it interests me far more than STEM.

But girls don't shun STEM in my experience; the majority of girls I know are opting for sciences and maths.

I love history (especially European history 1920-1945), and frequently read up on Nazi Germany and World War Two. I also have been keen on Educational Psychology over the years.

Nevertheless, I am a guy who studied Science A levels, BSc Biochemistry at Nottingham, MSc Microbiology at Birkbeck, and now to start an MSc Medical Sciences at UCL.

You can live both worlds.
Reply 10
Original post by rayquaza17
I have a more interesting question:

With reference to this table: http://www.ucas.com/data-analysis/data-resources/data-tables/he-subject (the first table)

Why did the number of applicants for mathematical sciences (G) drop dramatically in 2013?

PS: Girls are listening but things take time

That was about the same time as tuition fees going up. Maybe Scottish students stopped applying to English universities? I am not Mathematician, however, so I have no idea.
Original post by Mansun

Not listening to what?
Reply 12
Original post by Mansun
STEM subjects are hard, but they don't half make job hunting easier when you graduate, especially if you have gone to a traditional university. The postgraduate STEM courses are also easier to get onto, and often cheaper.

Yeah but if you don't like STEM you would be miserable even studying it for three years never mind working in the sector for the rest of your life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun

Stop saying 'girls'. That's mass generalisation so no... We won't listen to those who make these threads. Stop being vague. I personally like STEM subjects, humanities and arts so... :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ILovePancakes
Not listening to what?

To schools, employers, and people generally. STEM subjects tend to be more respected as they are known to be hard, and intelligence is seen as a given for graduates in these subjects.

I have to confess, I would advise students to stay clear of Maths and Physics at uni unless you find them relatively comfortable at A level, but not so for the Sciences like Chemistry and Biology, which are not any more difficult at university.
Original post by Mansun
To schools, employers, and people generally. STEM subjects tend to be more respected as they are known to be hard, and intelligence is seen as a given for graduates in these subjects.

I have to confess, I would advise students to stay clear of Maths and Physics at uni unless you find them relatively comfortable at A level, but not so for the Sciences like Chemistry and Biology, which are not any more difficult at university.

So you're saying that people should be go on to pursue subjects because they are more 'respected' rather than because they are interested in them? Surely university is also about learning and pursuing something you have a passion for?
Reply 16
Original post by Mansun

Difficulty levels for STEM v Humanities can't be compared. They're entirely different disciplines - And it's much, much more difficult to get a first in a Humanities subject then in a science.
Original post by Mansun

Unless you've done degrees in maths, physics, chemistry and biology how can you possibly know this?
Original post by Mansun

Depends on the subject. Girls don't shun STEM as a whole. Subjects related to biology, for example, seem to have little difficulty in attracting girls.

Stereotypes also play a role. I did mechanical engineering, which is stereotypically masculine, and yes, it absolutely had a problem attracting girls. However, other disciplines, e.g. chemical and materials, generally have a much larger proportion of girls.

But I do also think that there just isn't the same interest in STEM in girls as guys. And yes I know that's a generalisation, and I know that stereotypes and sexism does put some off ... but if that were to be removed I still don't believe we'd be at a 50:50 ratio.
Reply 19
Original post by ILovePancakes
So you're saying that people should be go on to pursue subjects because they are more 'respected' rather than because they are interested in them? Surely university is also about learning and pursuing something you have a passion for?

It depends. I loved Maths at GCSE, but I didn't feel I would get an A or B at A level, so I didn't choose it. I didn't want to study Physics at A level, but the timetable didn't allow me to change to any other subject that seemed worthwhile. If you have a genuine interest in a STEM subject, then do it. Don't take the easier option, even if you find it even more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest