The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barneystin
they just peddle you from place to place to place. i think near enough everyone from my form (and most others) applied to go to uni, when the truth is that some of them arent cut out for it, and they would be better off spending there time elsewhere. we were told to go write our personal statements, but we werent even asked if we wanted to go to uni or not, they just peddled us through the system.

It's funny, i know some people who have turned to shotting, and they could have been doing that without uni, and wouldnt have to think about the debt either :moon:

Loads of people weren't cut out for uni. Honestly you only find the reality of the system when you're out of uni. If you're doing a degree unless you're doing med or a discipline that gets you jobs straight away then you're going to struggle out of uni. It's better than sixth form. Uni lets you do what you want but the 6th form are more focused on getting 90%+ to uni. Uni is defo better than no uni but you need to be doing other stuff with your time like volunteering/sports etc.

I dunno people who've turned to full time shotters in my immediate friends group, know so many part timers or just do it for a few friends tho. ngl I've thought about it but allow jail.

but how you gon stress over a level results really.

the real stress is 3 years later when you realise there are no jobs out there/ anything you want to do that pays right.

GCSEs: 4A*, 6As
A Level/AS: AAAb
Uni: 2.1 Law from a RG
employment: nada.

Real talk man I feel you here. Honestly most people just get lucky but the system is kept to keep people down, it's a pyramid you can't have too many people on the top cos society will be unbalanced.
hey barney

what are your ECs like?
Original post by jam278
Loads of people weren't cut out for uni. Honestly you only find the reality of the system when you're out of uni. If you're doing a degree unless you're doing med or a discipline that gets you jobs straight away then you're going to struggle out of uni. It's better than sixth form. Uni lets you do what you want but the 6th form are more focused on getting 90%+ to uni. Uni is defo better than no uni but you need to be doing other stuff with your time like volunteering/sports etc

Yeh too many people think that simply having a degree is enough. I know someone who got a first without breaking a sweat, top of her year etc however she's never worked before. Another guy I know has a 2.2, but he also has a wealth of work experience and good EC's. Guess which one is getting loads of interviews and which one isn't having any luck.
Original post by tehforum
hey barney

what are your ECs like?

minor society stuff (investment soc); raising money for charity privately (half marathons); have five figures in the stock market which also takes some time and research.

sprung over some bish right now, so wouldnt mind selling my soul to an IB. power couple ting.
minor society stuff (investment soc); raising money for charity privately (half marathons); have five figures in the stock market which also takes some time and research.

sprung over some bish right now, so wouldnt mind selling my soul to an IB. power couple ting.

yeah i need to step my game up in my final year
have no law relevant ECs...

what have you done for the past 3 years
have you done the LPC?
Original post by sr90
Yeh too many people think that simply having a degree is enough. I know someone who got a first without breaking a sweat, top of her year etc however she's never worked before. Another guy I know has a 2.2, but he also has a wealth of work experience and good EC's. Guess which one is getting loads of interviews and which one isn't having any luck.

Definitely a balance between the two. So long as your CV isn't completely empty you'll get interviews appropriate for your education. Also depends on what you're trying to go into. If youre going for technical jobs where your education is directly used then your ECs arent such a big deal whereas if youre dipping your toe in things youve never seen before then they'll want to see general people skills etc from the CV.

It's controversial, but I would have reservations about someone who got a 2:2 since it signals pretty strongly that a person knew full well how important it is, but couldnt or wouldnt jump through the hoops to get at least a 2:1. Have to wonder why they didnt.
Original post by tehforum
yeah i need to step my game up in my final year
have no law relevant ECs...

what have you done for the past 3 years
have you done the LPC?

no law relevant ECs per se, but you can spin **** however you want to. following the stock market shows a sound commercial awareness, shows you are capable of some decent independent research and analysis too.

https://vine.co/v/MbY7euhhLPH
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi.
I'm doing my course as a sandwich degree so I can get a year of work experience.
Currently looking at a customer assistant job for tfl. Pays well for a first job at 30k. 37.5 hours a week so essentially a 9-5 5 days a week. Problem is that it works at a shift basis.
Original post by jam278
Currently looking at a customer assistant job for tfl. Pays well for a first job at 30k. 37.5 hours a week so essentially a 9-5 5 days a week. Problem is that it works at a shift basis.

whus dat doe?

the guys who stand by the barriers?
whus dat doe?

the guys who stand by the barriers?

Na. The people who you talk to for tickets basically.

You found work yet barney?
Original post by jam278
Na. The people who you talk to for tickets basically.

You found work yet barney?

aren't they getting rid of those guys?

nah basically looking at two different types of things: (a) things I actually want to do; (b) things where I can make good money. life changing decision to make tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
nah basically looking at two different types of things: (a) things I actually want to do; (b) things where I can make good money. life changing decision to make tbh.

What's good money for you btw?

I know how you feel. Looking at that NHS job but obvs i got time for that. Need to be doing something while I'm waiting though. :colonhash:

Original post by Zürich
x

Karan Gillan has some nice lips god damn. :sogood:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
What's good money for you btw?

I know how you feel. Looking at that NHS job but obvs i got time for that. Need to be doing something while I'm waiting though. :colonhash:

i think of good money as where I would be in 10 years. wouldnt mind 20-30k right now but not really fussed over it tbh at the present. im thinking of the money will be like in the future. work hard in a city law firm and you can be a million pound partner in 15 years. similar with IB.

The dream is the apartment in canary wharf with the Italian whip in the underground garage taking the fly bish wearing red bottoms to Cafe De Paris.
Failing that wouldn't mind living in Shoreditch doing something I like with a light whip taking the bish wearing some slutty topshop trash to Cargo.

could be happy either way tbh.

:moon:
Original post by jam278
#

Got the whole package mate, flawless. Perfect mixture of cute and beautiful.
Decided that I'm only in to tall, angelic redheads from Scotland/Ireland from now on :teeth:

It's actually a great thing to have a strong preference though, since girls that are 7/10 to most lads will be 9/10 to me! Not many about in London, may have to move to the highlands
(edited 9 years ago)
she's no michelle keegan. shame about the accent tho. so repulsive.
she's no michelle keegan. shame about the accent tho. so repulsive.

Easily one of the most overrated girls Ive seen. Complexion is not flawless, hair is not doing it for me, features not soft enough. Can find girls like that in any nightclub in the UK.

Also the fact she is obviously an absolute whore puts me off.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not seeing this Karen Gillan thing bros.

Anyway

sr90
x

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=49353553&postcount=3

Pull your finger out son :mad:*

Can you post a thread, sticky it, then include each team's society thread in the OP? I'll help finding them and linking them if you want. Sometimes I want to laugh at West Brom or Blues and it takes a while to find the thread, plus threads will be more likely to be bumped and posted in thus attracting fans of those clubs.

EDIT: *This bit was a joke btw don't ban me.
The other Doctor Who bish is hotter

Latest