The Student Room Group

Not sure what step to take next (Pharmacy) What course should I do now

Originally I have applied for Pharmacy. I have made an unbelievable amount of sacrifices to even be considered for this course, receiving 4 offers. Now, that I haven't been accepted to either my firm or insurance I feel very lost. I am having to go through clearing which I never thought would happen. I have missed my insurance by a grade having thought my coursework grade was a lot higher than it actually was. I am still stressed and thinking straight isn't happening at all. I have been accepted to Uni of Roehampton in London for Biological Sciences, but honestly I would have never applied to any London unis due to the cost and it isn't my preference of a city to live in and spend a huge amount of money on.
I am currently thinking of taking this year to find myself and apply for a course more suitable for me, but I cannot decide if this is the best idea considering I wanted to start uni straight away and might not make great use of the gap year and feel more depressed to the point I have no hope of doing anything. I can't express my feelings well, because I'm stuck on what I really want to do and it's really getting me down... I thought Pharmacy was for me and now having done badly in Chemistry I think it's time to move on and do something I will enjoy a lot more. I did best in Geography and it has been my all time favourite subject, but I just didn't see a great career move despite loving it. I've always done well when it came to exams and my A2 has also been good. I ended up with 4 A-levels and 2 AS's.
One option is to retake one or two exams and go to a better uni which I'll be happy at or carry on looking through clearing which is draining the last bit of energy I have in me. ;(
I am in an awkward position and wondering if any of you went through something similar and could offer any bit of advice.
I'll appreciate it a lot.
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by michaloopy
Originally I have applied for Pharmacy. I have made an unbelievable amount of sacrifices to even be considered for this course, receiving 4 offers. Now, that I haven't been accepted to either my firm or insurance I feel very lost. I am having to go through clearing which I never thought would happen. I have missed my insurance by a grade having thought my coursework grade was a lot higher than it actually was. I am still stressed and thinking straight isn't happening at all. I have been accepted to Uni of Roehampton in London for Biological Sciences, but honestly I would have never applied to any London unis due to the cost and it isn't my preference of a city to live in and spend a huge amount of money on.
I am currently thinking of taking this year to find myself and apply for a course more suitable for me, but I cannot decide if this is the best idea considering I wanted to start uni straight away and might not make great use of the gap year and feel more depressed to the point I have no hope of doing anything. I can't express my feelings well, because I'm stuck on what I really want to do and it's really getting me down... I thought Pharmacy was for me and now having done badly in Chemistry I think it's time to move on and do something I will enjoy a lot more. I did best in Geography and it has been my all time favourite subject, but I just didn't see a great career move despite loving it. I've always done well when it came to exams and my A2 has also been good. I ended up with 4 A-levels and 2 AS's.
One option is to retake one or two exams and go to a better uni which I'll be happy at or carry on looking through clearing which is draining the last bit of energy I have in me. ;(
I am in an awkward position and wondering if any of you went through something similar and could offer any bit of advice.
Thanks

I hope you fins what you are looking for. I can only imagine how stressed out you are. Stay strong and remember that it always gets better. Good luck with anything. I'm here if you want to talk to someone :smile:
Thanks

You seem like you're making a lot of changes to your career plans in a short period of time, at a very stressful time. A gap year is not necessarily a bad thing and would give you time to get straight exactly what it is you want to do. However, there are still lots of courses left in Clearing if you do have an inkling - would be considering studying Geography at uni? We can help you with your Clearing choices if you know what kind of thing you're aiming for :smile:
I wanted to do pharmacy last year but didn't get in rather than do the forensic science course I was offered I decided to resit and work in a pharmacy during the year this year I improved my grades and have got in, however in my situation I have always known pharmacy was the right course for me. There is no point doing a course you won't enjoy or may find too hard. Good luck with your decision sometimes its best to follow your heart, oh and remember it's £9000 a year, very expensive for something your not actually interested in :smile:
Thanks

Hello, try not to worry, have a look at our website and see what clearing offer we have. We have vacancies in pharmacy as well as biomedical science, however there's a selection of other courses that may be of interest to you. Our clearing line opens tomorrow morning and you can contact our friendly adviser on 01522 886622.

Hope that helps :smile:

Reece
(Student Ambassador - Undergraduate Biomedical Science, Postgraduate Marketing)
Reply 5
Thanks

There still appear to be unis in clearing for pharmacy. What grades did u actually get?
Original post by simon_m_t
There still appear to be unis in clearing for pharmacy. What grades did u actually get?

BBCD
D in chem
BBCD
D in chem

I missed my grades for my firm and insurance completely for pharmacy but I managed to get a place at Uclan through clearing, I got a D in chem too. If you have your heart set on pharmacy then try to keep going through clearing, it's so draining but often worth it in the end, and there's also a few uni's that do a foundation course, i know it adds an extra year on but you'll still get the degree at the end of it! Hope it all works out for you xx

Quick Reply

Latest