The Student Room Group

JT becomes bearmode

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
Lol definitely stupid and ridiculous as you're filming yourself

Yeah I did say that but he was basically just saying 'rules are rules'.
Thursday:

Deadlift w/belt:

227.5*2 @ 7.5
227.5*2 @ 8
227.5*2 @ 8.5

e1rm = 262

Pause Squat:

167.5*1 @ 8
175*1 @ 9
175*1 @ 9.5/10

e1rm = 187

Pendlay Rows:

95*2*7

Pretty good day. Deadlift now has an e1rm greater than 6 plates and I think I'm on the way to fixing my form issues \o/

After watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPtbHGiGCIU&feature=youtu.be it made me realise that I've unconsciously changed my setup. When I do the whole arms pointing straight forward while pushing my arse back movement I'm meant to also sit down a bit which I had been missing for a while now. Get's me to use my legs more from the bottom. This meant that it made it hard to get some good leg drive so I ended up using my back a bit too much and having my hips and knees lock out asynchronously as you may note where I'd get it to lock out then sort of shrug it back a bit in my previous videos. Also nice that my grip is holding too as I did have a few problems where the supinated hand's thumb seems to release it's grip and I'm just left with 4 fingers.

Was planning on doing 177.5 for singles on pause squats today but warming up felt sluggish and a tiny bit sore at the bottom so I lightened the weight a bit. Not bad though as I haven't done pause squats immediately after deadlifting in a while and I also have done some pretty good squatting this week.

[video="youtube;3ACbNZlUClU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACbNZlUClU&edit=vd[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Friday:

Pin Press:

100*4

Snatch grip DL:

140*1 (w/ hook grip)
150*2 (w/ hook grip)
130*4

Pause CG Incline Press:

75*2*3

Tried hook grip today. My thumbs hurt now lol. Took some skin off :s-smilie:

Also saw a huge juiced up guy Bench 180 for like 10 or something. Was a spectacle to watch.

[video="youtube;MQGdKLa7Cyo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQGdKLa7Cyo&feature=youtu.be[/video]
how does your snatch grip work carry over to your normal deads?
Nothing major I think as they're quite a lot lighter and quite a different position to normal deads. I like them quite a lot as grip work when you do them straight DOH as it gets you to use your outer fingers a lot more. Not bad as lat and rear delt work too.
Monday:

Squat w/belt:

182.5*2+f
172.5*2 @ 7.5?

e1rm = 195

0.5 Inch Deficit Deadlift:

220*2 @ 8
220*2 @ 9

e1rm = 249

Pendlay Row:

90*5

...AAANNNDDDD my squat is back to **** lol. Bottom of squat still feeling a bit sore. Hopefully won't need to deload or anything as I have had quite a few crappy sessions over the past couple months and I've come back pretty strong. I've noticed that this sudden drop in performance tends to happen half way through a volume block or at the start so maybe that means shortening the intensity blocks a bit? Or maybe because I tend to only go for a .5 increase in RPE when I go for a full 1 increase it's too stressful like last week? idk.

Deadlift was pretty strong considering the circumstances of failing a squat and then immediately doing them after. Still sluggish but I got the weight I was hoping for last week while being in adverse conditions. Not bad.

[video="youtube;ZjGl3bU0eqM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjGl3bU0eqM&edit=vd[/video]

Also lol at the guy moving my camera while filming. Guess it shouldn't be there but still I love how no ****s were given. Cheeky k**t m8.
(edited 9 years ago)
That camera move was amusing. Shoulda knocked the **** out
LMFAO WAT AT THAT GUY

didn't even put it back the bellend

Fact is you have a 5 plate defecit bench for reps. Tell him to jog the **** on.
mirin rts shirt
Also you should be failing weights in a volume block ever.
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
mirin rts shirt

:biggrin:

Also you should be failing weights in a volume block ever.

Ya I ****ed up. I sometimes have these days when warming up where although it feels kind of sluggish I feel like I can get by, even during the set, then suddenly I realise no I can't lol. Tends to only happen on squats though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jtking3000
:biggrin:

Ya I ****ed up. I sometimes have these days when warming up where although it feels kind of sluggish I feel like I can get by, even during the set, then suddenly I realise no I can't lol. Tends to only happen on squats though.

Just treat every set like it's a max even though it isn't. So if your feel set feels like **** then you know full well that you aren't capable of a big top set.
Tuesday:

Bench Press:

105*5

Paused Oly Squat:

135*2*4

Paused CG Bench Press:

97.5*5

hmm squats weren't too bad today. Will have to see how Thursday is to see if Monday was just an off day.

Think I really need proper oly shoes to do 'oly squats' properly tbh. I can't seem to help but lean forward. Good upper back work though lol.

[video="youtube;-gxckMmYnXE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gxckMmYnXE&feature=youtu.be[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Thursday:

Deadlift w/belt:

225*3 @ 9
215*3 @ 8.5

e1rm = 255

Pause Squat:

155*4 @ 8
155*4 @ 8.5

e1rm = 187

Pendlay Row:

105*2*3

hmm kind of disappointing day. Deadlift felt quite hard. Squat also felt a bit hard but turned out pretty good.

Might experiment a bit over the next couple weeks with the amount of fatigue sets I'm doing.

[video="youtube;14TUjtq6VZU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=14TUjtq6VZU[/video]
you'll need to have shorter time between dl reps if you want them to carry over more.
you'll need to have shorter time between dl reps if you want them to carry over more.

Any recommendation on how I can get the bar back in the same spot? Whenever I put the bar down I can never get it close to my shins to be able to pull it again without setting up again.

Also why would shorter time between reps carry over more (presumably to a 1rm is implied?). Couldn't you argue that three singles pulled in succession is more specific to pulling a 1rm than doing 3 reps in the shortest space of time that you can?

EDIT: You're subbed to the RTS classroom aren't you? Any wisdom on Dr.Zourdos's only pull singles on the Deadlift style?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jtking3000
Any recommendation on how I can get the bar back in the same spot? Whenever I put the bar down I can never get it close to my shins to be able to pull it again without setting up again.

Also why would shorter time between reps carry over more (presumably to a 1rm is implied?). Couldn't you argue that three singles pulled in succession is more specific to pulling a 1rm than doing 3 reps in the shortest space of time that you can?

EDIT: You're subbed to the RTS classroom aren't you? Any wisdom on Dr.Zourdos's only pull singles on the Deadlift style?

Usually when deadlifting for reps the first rep is hard then you start to gain momentum and do better at the next few reps. This obviously won't happen when doing a max and singles training is there to make it more specific. Zourdos' lectures are separate from Mike T's now and the only lecture we had was one on DUP.

It's not just the weight that makes lower reps more specific. It's the time taken to do the set. By taking a break between reps you will have the total time of a higher rep set making it less specific. Singles training would be different as you are actually walking up to and setting up for each rep I presume. I also think that the breaks between reps negate some of the fatigue. Matt Gary has a chart of how he would set up singles training for certain percentages.
(edited 9 years ago)
Friday:

Pin Press:

100*5

Snatch Grip Deadlift:

145*1 (w/ hook grip)
155*2 (w/ hook grip)
140*5

Pause CG Incline Press:

77.5*2*3

hmm my grip has improved quite a bit. 140*5 felt rather easy and the hook grip sets weren't too bad apart from the first rep where I don't think I setup correctly and it nearly slipped out of my hands lol.

[video="youtube;bmZVCKYo7Ro"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmZVCKYo7Ro&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Usually when deadlifting for reps the first rep is hard then you start to gain momentum and do better at the next few reps. This obviously won't happen when doing a max and singles training is there to make it more specific. Zourdos' lectures are separate from Mike T's now and the only lecture we had was one on DUP.

It's not just the weight that makes lower reps more specific. It's the time taken to do the set. By taking a break between reps you will have the total time of a higher rep set making it less specific. Singles training would be different as you are actually walking up to and setting up for each rep I presume. I also think that the breaks between reps negate some of the fatigue. Matt Gary has a chart of how he would set up singles training for certain percentages.

hmm good points. Might give the Matt Gary singles training a try if I can't make much progress with reducing the time between reps.
Monday:

Squat w/belt:

170*4 @ 6.5
175*4 @ 7
175*4 @ 7.5/8

e1rm = 216

0.5 Inch Deficit Deadlift:

215*3 @ 8
215*3 @ 9

e1rm = 251

Pendlay Row:

105*2*4

Felt pretty good today. Last week must've just been a bad week.

[video="youtube;s2Ujl7Meu6M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=s2Ujl7Meu6M[/video]

oh yeah some random guy who I've seen about the gym sometimes asked me to let him have a go at pulling 215kg. I let him and despite really ****ty parabola form and somewhat wide grip he actually managed to get it just below his knees. Some people are surprisingly strong.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest