The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who went to the Bright Network event last year - is there any point in just going to the afternoon session? I live about a 2 hour train journey away from London so would struggle to make the 9am start, plus it will be very expensive.

Cheers
Original post by Selym95
Anyone who went to the Bright Network event last year - is there any point in just going to the afternoon session? I live about a 2 hour train journey away from London so would struggle to make the 9am start, plus it will be very expensive.

Cheers

Misread your q. I guess you could if you wanted, but it'll be extremely crowded, and you won't get the same exposure to the firms that you'd get in the morning. I'm making a 3 hour journey in total, it's worth it for what you're getting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Honestly, nope.

I'd stay for 30 mins max. for the afternoon opening to check out any firms that might be of interest that weren't in the IB event.

Thought as much.

Thanks for the reply
Original post by Selym95

Cheers

I went to both the morning and afternoon sessions last year.

Personally, I really enjoyed the afternoon session. There were some very useful feature talks on a variety of industries- M&A, Asset Management etc,, and the career speaker Gwyn Day gave tips on how to pass each stage of the app process, (i didn't go to these, wish I had though apparently they were really good though). There is also a CV check and there will be an opportunity to network with firms (albeit its very packed, there are way fewer ibanks and more non-ibanks)

Morning session was relatively disappointing. The networking is still pretty cramped, you get these guys who are desperate to get their questions across, the same old 'I study a non-econ subject, can I still apply?' questions, and the whole thing didn't meet expectations for me. I was able to ascertain some useful advice from it though and made the odd contact from it as well.

Also this whole thing re: banks see your CV, I personally don't know anyone who benefited from this. Last year they said each ibank recruited 8 participants of the IB network each. But this wasn't exclusively cos they attended the Bright Ibanking Network. They probably would have got in anyways. I really doubt there is any 'fast-track' thing in my opinion. The morning is useful if you go to a uni where these banks don't visit often, otherwise it's nothing special.

A good day out though, especially if you want an excuse to go into London.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tomatochuckers
I went to both the morning and afternoon sessions last year.

Personally, I really enjoyed the afternoon session. There were some very useful feature talks on a variety of industries- M&A, Asset Management etc,, and the career speaker Gwyn Day gave tips on how to pass each stage of the app process, (i didn't go to these, wish I had though apparently they were really good though). There is also a CV check and there will be an opportunity to network with firms (albeit its very packed, there are way fewer ibanks and more non-ibanks)

Morning session was relatively disappointing. The networking is still pretty cramped, you get these guys who are desperate to get their questions across, the same old 'I study a non-econ subject, can I still apply?' questions, and the whole thing didn't meet expectations for me. I was able to ascertain some useful advice from it though and made the odd contact from it as well.

Also this whole thing re: banks see your CV, I personally don't know anyone who benefited from this. Last year they said each ibank recruited 8 participants of the IB network each. But this wasn't exclusively cos they attended the Bright Ibanking Network. They probably would have got in anyways. I really doubt there is no 'fast-track' thing in my opinion. The morning is useful if you go to a uni where these banks don't visit often, otherwise it's nothing special.

A good day out though, especially if you want an excuse to go into London.

Do you think anyone actually got an offer off of the back of their attendance at the BN? As far as I remember, they just sent out emails a few months later asking 'did you get a SW offer from one of our clients?' (irrespective of the circs under which the SW was obtained; i.e., most likely separate to BN attendance). They most likely took all the yes answers and took credit for them. Painfully disingenuous
Do you think anyone actually got an offer off of the back of their attendance at the BN? As far as I remember, they just sent out emails a few months later asking 'did you get a SW offer from one of our clients?' (irrespective of the circs under which the SW was obtained; i.e., most likely separate to BN attendance). They most likely took all the yes answers and took credit for them. Painfully disingenuous

No I don't think anyone got an offer on the back of attending the Bright Network. (Edited my previous post cos I accidentally wrote 'I doubt there is no fast-track').

But this begs the question why they'd bother forwarding the CVs to the firms in the first place? I think it's just a technique to try and bring more interest in, and I'm not sure why they need to do this if that's the case. The event overall is worthwhile enough to attract a good number of attendees.

Got exactly the same idea, they're just taking credit for it haha.

This guy called me about four times (didn't answer the first three) on different occasions just to ask me that.
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Last year they said each ibank recruited 8 participants of the IB network each. But this wasn't exclusively cos they attended the Bright Ibanking Network. They probably would have got in anyways. I really doubt there is any 'fast-track' thing in my opinion. The morning is useful if you go to a uni where these banks don't visit often, otherwise it's nothing special.

Curious. When reading the description of the event I couldn't help feel a sense of suspicion. I can't imagine this event having the settings, or the environment for a representative of X bank to confidently hand out SW offers like that. This is all speculation on my part, however.

I found it amusing, also, every time I log into Facebook the event is entitled: 'SECURE YOUR SPRING WEEK' in bold, capital letters.

I'm not knocking the event at all, perhaps there's just a little falsification on their part. I'm sure there'll be a few disappointed students on the train home that evening.
The founder of Bright Network is also the founder of 'Oxbridge Applications and I'm sure most of us were told to stay away from them... It's a good event with regards to gaining an insight into your chosen career, meeting like-minded students and getting your face known. I don't think it goes beyond that as a general rule.

The only recruitment agencies who make things happen for you are SEO/Rare, but obviously not all of us are dealt with that card.
Original post by Part A
Bright Network is an absolutely awful and abysmal excuse for a recruitment/career events company. Let's give everyone on TSR a few examples...

1) Once you sign up for BN, you get their careers email every couple of weeks. They're full of gimmicks and useless information - they do advertise opportunities on there but they're basically just collating information available on the company's individual website.

2) Some of you may have signed up for their 'Investment Banking' session for the event in September - they claim they forward their CV to all the investment banks etc but I've never heard of anyone gaining a spring week offer this way (again, just a gimmick). Their recruitment process this year was an application form followed by a 'video interview' where you have to record yourself answering Q's - really BN?

3) I applied to the IB session and was invited to take part in the 'record yourself' video session - I ignored it as I've realised that BN doesn't do much apart from inviting all the big companies to present at their event (I worked for a Big4, they do this out of courtesy).

Having ignored this, I thought that would be the end of it - but today, I got an email which said 'We are delighted to inform you that we were very impressed with your CV and would like to conduct a very quick telephone interview in order to complete the final part of the application process to Bright Network: Investment Banking'. Looks like they're short on good candidates and is basically inviting anyone and everyone to attend (no thanks BN).

I didn't want to come across as a dick - so I erred on the side of caution with my analysis of Bright Network.

I don't go to these events, but I think they have some value for some who wish to ask questions along the lines of can I get in from X university or do you need a quant degree?

Bright Network add a nice venue for students to do the things that I mentioned before, but I don't see any need for it to make these wild and wholly unrealistic claims such as 'Come and secure your SW'
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,

So I got into Southampton Uni today. My results weren't the best, they're ABB which isn't a disaster but I know isn't great in terms of applying to SW and careers in IB.

Just posting to ask you guys whether you think I've got any chance of getting a place on SW with these results/uni.
Original post by Sarah13579
Hi everyone,

So I got into Southampton Uni today. My results weren't the best, they're ABB which isn't a disaster but I know isn't great in terms of applying to SW and careers in IB.

Just posting to ask you guys whether you think I've got any chance of getting a place on SW with these results/uni.

I know people that got SWs (GS, BAML, etc) this year from similar unis, so as long as you have a good CV/ECs and pass all the numericals/verbals you should have a decent shot at them.
Reply 192
Which SWs are open now?
When applying to spring weeks do the investment banks ask you for a transcript of your grades?

Also, who else is going to the Bright Network Festival?
Does receiving the ticket by mail means being accepted and thereby invited to the festival? Because I didn't do the video interview, just replied to the online poll, and got invited. Is it really worth coming? Seems like a waste of time imho.

Original post by thelion0
When applying to spring weeks do the investment banks ask you for a transcript of your grades?

Transcript of your A-levels grade? I honestly don't think so. Better not lie though.
Original post by solaars
Does receiving the ticket by mail means being accepted and thereby invited to the festival? Because I didn't do the video interview, just replied to the online poll, and got invited. Is it really worth coming? Seems like a waste of time imho.

Transcript of your A-levels grade? I honestly don't think so. Better not lie though.

I have finished my first year of uni. I'm going in to my second. Transcript of my first year? My degree is 4 years.

The video interview is for the morning the afternoon session is for everyone. Even if it is **** we will never know unless we attend. Better safe than sorry.
I have finished my first year of uni. I'm going in to my second. Transcript of my first year? My degree is 4 years.

The video interview is for the morning the afternoon session is for everyone. Even if it is **** we will never know unless we attend. Better safe than sorry.

I've heard Nomura and a couple of other banks ask for transcript, but not most of them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the heads up.
I don't think I'll come anyway. I'm coming back from holidays on the 17th, I won't shorten them for an event organised by a company known for not being very trust-able.

Then, if they ask for it, go for it. Otherwise, just state your results in your resume, it will be enough. Which uni are you in?
Original post by solaars
Thanks for the heads up.
I don't think I'll come anyway. I'm coming back from holidays on the 17th, I won't shorten them for an event organised by a company known for not being very trust-able.

Then, if they ask for it, go for it. Otherwise, just state your results in your resume, it will be enough. Which uni are you in?

my results was average 59.6 for my first year. AAB for my alevels.

Queen Mary
my results was average 59.6 for my first year. AAB for my alevels.

Queen Mary

If it's high (not from the UK so I'm not quite sure), state it. AAB sounds fine to me. Anyway I think it's most likely your experience / capacities which will be important.

Is it nice? I thought of applying there. Didn't in the end. How's university in London? Got my place at UCL confirmed.
What degree are you doing?
(edited 9 years ago)