The Student Room Group

Work Experience for Vet Nursing?

Hey, im wanting to apply for Vet nursing 2015 and dont have any work experience in a small animal practice. I have other work experience; 2 weeks in a groomers and im about to do a 4 week placement in pets at home. But i was just wondering if anyone had been accepted onto the course without experience in a small animal practice ? Im looking to get some experience in a vets but it wont be until after i submit my application, would that still count?
Well for Veterinary Science I think they like it better if you have already completed the work experience before you apply as you've already learnt stuff from the placement. But they think planned work experience is better than nothing.

I would try ringing, emailing and posting letters/handing out CVs to as many practices in your area as you can as some will accept you this late (i've just got some dairy experience for 2 weeks away on really short notice).

Also just to check the admissions teams at the unis don't mind you ringing/emailing and asking questions about work experience. They are very happy to help and would be the best people to ask this question to.
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: ive just emailed all the local practices to see if theyll accept me. And oh yeah, never thought of the admissions teams, ill send them a message and ask about it, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm also applying for veterinary nursing 2015. I've found by going to different university open days that different uni's ask for not only different amounts of work experience but also for it to be completed at different times (e.g. before applying or after applying).
RVC want 2 weeks in a small animal practise and 2 weeks in another animal environment before applying.
Harper Adams want 2 weeks in a practise before an interview will be given, but 4 weeks before starting the course. Both the RVC and Harper Adams require written references as proof.
Hartpury want 6 but has not specified when this has to be done by or how we give evidence of this.
Nottingham Trent want 2 weeks in a practise and dates need to be specified in the UCAS personal statement.
Thats all I know so far. I have had to do work experience as part of my current course so I have managed to complete 2 weeks in a mixed veterinary practise and 4 weeks in the animal section at an adventure park. My advice for getting a placement at a veterinary practise is make a list of all practises that you would be able to travel to and apply to them all using a cover letter and a CV. Also in your cover letter talk about your experience so far and what it has taught you (such as restraining techniques or handling skills), this proves to them that you're not wasting their time and will actually help in the practise.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Emma_Jayne95
Hi, I'm also applying for veterinary nursing 2015. I've found by going to different university open days that different uni's ask for not only different amounts of work experience but also for it to be completed at different times (e.g. before applying or after applying).
RVC want 2 weeks in a small animal practise and 2 weeks in another animal environment before applying.
Harper Adams want 2 weeks in a practise before an interview will be given, but 4 weeks before starting the course. Both the RVC and Harper Adams require written references as proof.
Hartpury want 6 but has not specified when this has to be done by or how we give evidence of this.
Nottingham Trent want 2 weeks in a practise and dates need to be specified in the UCAS personal statement.
Thats all I know so far. I have had to do work experience as part of my current course so I have managed to complete 2 weeks in a mixed veterinary practise and 4 weeks in the animal section at an adventure park. My advice for getting a placement at a veterinary practise is make a list of all practises that you would be able to travel to and apply to them all using a cover letter and a CV. Also in your cover letter talk about your experience so far and what it has taught you (such as restraining techniques or handling skills), this proves to them that you're not wasting their time and will actually help in the practise.
Hope this helps :smile:

Hi, thanks! ive just sent applications to all of my local practices so fingers crossed someone will take me. Otherwise Middlesex is the only one that ive seen that doesnt specify any work experience as a requirement so hopefully i can get some in before i send off an application.
You'll have to let me know how you get on with your application :smile:
Reply 5
Hey!
Firmed RVC and insured Middlesex for this year. Basically just send emails with your cv saying you want to apply for vet nursing at uni and then if they don't get back in a week phone them up. That's what I did and got 2 weeks at a practice another 2 weeks at another, 8 days at a zoo, and a day at a stables.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey :smile: Possibly applying for vet nursing for 2015 entry ... but work experience is holding me back :frown: I have one week in a vets and I did volunteering in an animal rescue for once a week for about 6 months. Opinions on if this is enough work experience? As I have applied to every single vets in my area for work experience multiple times since the beginning of year 10 and I am now going into year 13, but no one will accept me.
Reply 7
Jay95's advice is good.
Reply 8
Original post by Bobbs
Hey :smile: Possibly applying for vet nursing for 2015 entry ... but work experience is holding me back :frown: I have one week in a vets and I did volunteering in an animal rescue for once a week for about 6 months. Opinions on if this is enough work experience? As I have applied to every single vets in my area for work experience multiple times since the beginning of year 10 and I am now going into year 13, but no one will accept me.

Phone them! Don't just rely on emails!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
your best bet for finding out what work experience is definitely needed for your course is to call up and actually talk to someone as previous posters have suggested.

When I applied last year I had done 2 weeks in an equine practice, 2 weeks in a mixed practice plus I have a strong equine background and have worked in stables. From what I remember, this was enough for most and anywhere that wanted more experience would allow the summer/until term started to get the rest of the experience.

From interviews etc it seemed everyone applying had a range of experiences... from working in practices and rescue centres to just a couple of weeks.

Try and get as much experience as possible, even if its not required for your course because it will really stand to you down the line (those who have the least hands on experience on my course do really find it hard). Try and get experience with all sorts of animals, especially if the course you want to do isn't specifically SA/LA/equine etc... not just the animals you're used to and most interested in. For example, if you're a small animal person, do really try and get experience with horses and farm animals.
Hi, I've just been accepted to study the veterinary nursing degree at Harper Adams University this September, my own work experience included 5 weeks in a small animal practice, 1 week at a horse stables (harper wants 2 weeks in a practice completed before interviews and 4 total weeks completed before the start of the course). I also own a horse which adds to my experience....If you go to harper adams you are required to undertake equine modules in the course- so any additional experience helps but isnt required.
Another important part of any veterinary nursing course is that the work experience continues throughout the course to meet RCVS requirements- at harper this includes individual block placements in year 1 and a 1 year placement from the easter of 2nd year to the easter of 3rd year. So it is very important you secure a practice to take you on to complete your placements at before you start the course.
Biology is a very important part of the course also - so if you are doing A levels you will need at least a D to be accepted onto the foundation vet nursing degree though your offer may be a C if you have good grades. I hope this has helped you! Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TamsinJayne
Hi, I've just been accepted to study the veterinary nursing degree at Harper Adams University this September, my own work experience included 5 weeks in a small animal practice, 1 week at a horse stables (harper wants 2 weeks in a practice completed before interviews and 4 total weeks completed before the start of the course). I also own a horse which adds to my experience....If you go to harper adams you are required to undertake equine modules in the course- so any additional experience helps but isnt required.
Another important part of any veterinary nursing course is that the work experience continues throughout the course to meet RCVS requirements- at harper this includes individual block placements in year 1 and a 1 year placement from the easter of 2nd year to the easter of 3rd year. So it is very important you secure a practice to take you on to complete your placements at before you start the course.
Biology is a very important part of the course also - so if you are doing A levels you will need at least a D to be accepted onto the foundation vet nursing degree though your offer may be a C if you have good grades. I hope this has helped you! Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on getting into harper. its amazing :biggrin: have you been able to secure your first year placement practice yet?
Thank you! :wink: I'm so excited to start in September. Yes I've got my placements with the Grange veterinary hospital in Mold (north wales) - my auntie lives there so I will be staying with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TamsinJayne
Thank you! :wink: I'm so excited to start in September. Yes I've got my placements with the Grange veterinary hospital in Mold (north wales) - my auntie lives there so I will be staying with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice one :biggrin: if you have any questions about harper life or placements etc or anything to do with vet nursing - I am currently on my placement year so can answer anything :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Hi, I'm planning to apply to veterinary nursing this year but I just got my a-level results back and they weren't what i was expecting :/ I got DDD in Biology, Chemistry and Maths :frown: Now i'm looking at different unis to see if i can actually apply with these grades. I've only had two weeks work experience at a vets in 2011 but I will be starting volunteering at an animal clinic next week for a few hours every week. Also planning to do a weeks placement at a farm in a couple of months. Does anyone know if I could do veterinary nursing with these grades and this amount of work experience? Any info would be a great help, thanks :biggrin:
Hi, I'm sure harper adams would consider you for the foundation degree with a D in biology (I got a D in biology and a C in art and a C in I.T), however they want the work experience to be within the last 2 years...so 2012. Maybe if you spent this year doing more work experience in a vets practice and get references? Also you could attend one of the open days this year? Before applying to harper I visited myerscough college and Nottingham tent university also- both of which require a C to do the course. I hope this has helped you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Also, if you do decide to apply to harper and you are asked to attend an interview you will need to have completed 2 weeks of work experience in a vets practice (this excludes kennels,stables,farms) beforehand with references. And a further 2 weeks before the course begins. As a backup plan you could also apply to do the level 3 diploma in veterinary nursing at a college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm applying to do Vet Nursing at Nottingham Trent University. I have 1 week a veterinary practice and 12 months at a pet shop and will be starting a 10 month placement at the beginning of September. By the time I apply I should have 2 weeks done.

Do you think this is enough, i'm scared it won't be. I have met the UCAS tarrif points. I've done the Animal Management course. After I studied my AS levels I decided there wasn't anything animal related and it was holding me back.
(edited 9 years ago)
I have just checked the NTU website for you http://www.ntu.ac.uk/apps/pss/course_finder/132939-1/0/fdsc_veterinary_nursing.aspx#howtoapply ,
as long as you have completed 2 weeks of work experience in a small animal vets practice (make sure you have references from them) before you send off your application then you should be fine. And in your application be sure to mention that you would be currently undergoing 10 months of work experience as they will be very pleased that if you did the course with them....your experiences would still be fresh in your mind, as a lot of the other students won't have had the chance to gain as much experience as you would have. Also be sure to state the exact dates of your work experiences in your application, their length, and mention the type of experiences you have had while there.
I hope I have helped ease your worries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply