The Student Room Group

Please help- AS grades much lower than expected! :(

I am desperate to study Human Sciences at Oxford, which requires AAA entry grades. But, as usual, my results didn't go to plan. I was predicted AAAA, but actually came out with English - A, and Bs in Maths, Biology, and Psychology.

This is frustrating however, as all three Bs are so close to As. Maths is about 4 or 5 marks away from an A, Psychology is 1 mark away from an A, and for both Biology exams I got good As, but the practical skills unit I got a D, which brought the overall grade down to B. (Which although sounds cocky, I am 100% sure there has been a mistake on this unit, as we did this 3 times and picked the best grades, and I didn't find them challenging at all!)

Oxford was my top choice, and UCL my second, and they both ask for AAA. When I visited Oxford for their open day, the admissions tutor said that they do not mind retakes as long you have the minimum entry grades at the end of your course. To be selected for interview, you must be predicted AAA grades.

My question at the end of all of that is: will it be easy enough to rectify the grades so I still have chance at Oxford, or shall I just sack it off and apply to lower entry universities? Also, is it likely that I will be predicted AAA for the end of A2, even if it takes some convincing my subject teachers?

Sorry that that was so long :smile:
Original post by kathy4
I am desperate to study Human Sciences at Oxford, which requires AAA entry grades. But, as usual, my results didn't go to plan. I was predicted AAAA, but actually came out with English - A, and Bs in Maths, Biology, and Psychology.

This is frustrating however, as all three Bs are so close to As. Maths is about 4 or 5 marks away from an A, Psychology is 1 mark away from an A, and for both Biology exams I got good As, but the practical skills unit I got a D, which brought the overall grade down to B. (Which although sounds cocky, I am 100% sure there has been a mistake on this unit, as we did this 3 times and picked the best grades, and I didn't find them challenging at all!)

Oxford was my top choice, and UCL my second, and they both ask for AAA. When I visited Oxford for their open day, the admissions tutor said that they do not mind retakes as long you have the minimum entry grades at the end of your course. To be selected for interview, you must be predicted AAA grades.

My question at the end of all of that is: will it be easy enough to rectify the grades so I still have chance at Oxford, or shall I just sack it off and apply to lower entry universities? Also, is it likely that I will be predicted AAA for the end of A2, even if it takes some convincing my subject teachers?

I am not going to lie, It is going to be hard to get into Oxbridge because they look at UMS AS marks. Defo apply for UCL! Remember its about predicted grades too!
Reply 2
Original post by kathy4

Have you sent the B grades off for a re-mark? If they're close to A grades then it's worth a shot.
Reply 3
Original post by games211
I am not going to lie, It is going to be hard to get into Oxbridge because they look at UMS AS marks. Defo apply for UCL! Remember its about predicted grades too!

Hmm yeah good point :/
Original post by kathy4
Hmm yeah good point :/

Don't lose hope! defo remark!
Reply 5
Original post by Gorwell
Have you sent the B grades off for a re-mark? If they're close to A grades then it's worth a shot.

Yeah I forgot to mention that! If they come back the same or lower I will just retake the lowest graded exam for each subject. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending