The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
Have a ring around and ask around in the relevant forums. It's something where you're going to need to find out policy from each uni separately annoyingly.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

This might be a good starting point though :smile:

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.:smile:
Yes single award howewver contacting schools to see if i can get additional science as an external candidate bht wont know now until september as ots summer holidays. I emailed them askintg if this science is acceptable the awarding body and the syllabus for the course and they said id have to apply before they can answer my question.

It might be me or it might just be a busy time and they cant dedicate time to enquiries at the moment due to going through offers etc. Thank you for yojr help :smile:
They should tell you quite quickly if they accept certain qualifications. I'll ask. They're not more or less inclined to tell anyone. I suspect they perhaps didn't quite understand your query. I'll ask regarding the GCSE. I assume you did single award then? Only 1 GCSE for science (not 2 or three all bundled together?)

Sorry I didn't mean to pry. I meant what is your application situation, are you resitting over 3 years and looking for unis that will take it? Do you have the GCSEs to back you up for normal medicine?

That sounds like a pretty serious condition that you went through and I am really sorry to hear that. I am not really familiar with the extenuating circumstances for admissions (for exams, yeah but not admission :frown: )

Have you got other options for medicine where they're openly happy about your situation? If not then it could be worth the risk...

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is what i said to them their response is below.

I was asked to email to see if the science GCSE i have taken is ok, by your admissions team. This is the course its AQA

http://www.eastleigh.ac.uk/all-courses/all-courses/course/3963/PT1323/GCSCG2.aspx

Subject content
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/science-a-4405/subject-content

Spec: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/science-a-4405/spec-at-a-glance

Regards Victoria Taylor

Dear Victoria,

If you decide to apply to us, you should send a copy of the syllabus at the time of applying and we would link this with your UCAS application. Unfortunately we do not check programme information prior to the applicant applying due to such a high demand of requests.

Kind Regards

Lesley Jones | Student and Academic Administration | Recruitment and Admissions | Faculty of Medicine | University of Southampton | SO17 1BJ

Email: [email protected] | Web: www.som.soton.ac.uk

On Saturday, 9 August 2014, Admissions at University of Southampton (UG Medicine) wrote:

August 2014

Thank you for emailing the Faculty of Medicine. We will respond to your enquiry as soon as possible but there may be a delay particularly if your enquiry is complex, as we receive a very high number of emails. In the meantime you may find the information you require below. Please note that if your enquiry is answered using the links and information provided in this email, you will not receive an additional response.

CLEARING/WAIT LISTING
Please note that the Faculty of Medicine does not enter into Clearing or Wait Listing.

GENERAL ENQUIRIES
Please refer to the link below (2015 Prospectus) for details of the following:

· Programme descriptions
· Entry requirements
· UKCAT test requirements
· Acceptable/equivalent qualifications
· English language requirements
· How to apply
· BM6/Widening Access programme, including eligibility criteria

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/peripheral-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/50FDAC59FE9E495E87C3BF0DA7F2D168/UoS-Medicine-UG-Prospectus-WEB-SPREADS.pdf

If you haven’t already done so, please refer to our website www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine

UKCAT TEST (CLINICAL APTITUDE)
The UKCAT test is used as part of the selection process by Southampton Medical School and must be taken in the summer prior to making an application. Applicants will be able to register to take the UKCAT in June. Registration will only be available on-line via the website at www.ukcat.ac.uk. Further details of how to take the test are available on our website.

All applicants for BM4 and BM5 will initially need to score minimum 2500 to be considered. We will then be ranking applicants by UKCAT score and those with the highest scores will be invited to a selection day. This will include an interview (based on non academic criteria including personal statement) and a group task. Applicants for BM6 are also required to take the test but there is no cut-off.

Lowest UKCAT scores for those invited to interview previous cycle:-

Programme

Lowest UKCAT score of those interviewed

BM4 Graduates

BM5 School leavers/graduates/overseas

BM5 Mature non-graduates

FEEDBACK
I am afraid that we are unable to provide individual feedback as to why an application is unsuccessful.

EQUIVALENT QUALIFICATIONS
We receive a very high number of enquiries regarding equivalent qualifications and I am afraid it is not always possible for us to respond individually.

You are welcome to submit an Application and on receipt of your Application we would then consider your eligibility.

Please refer to page 16 of the 2014 Prospectus (link above).

You may find it useful to refer to UK Naric, the UK’s National Agency responsible for providing information on academic, vocational and professional qualifications from across the world. http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/individuals/

OPEN DAYS
The next Southampton University 2014 Open Days will be held on Friday 5th and Saturday 6th September. Please follow the link for further information, including registration: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergraduate/university_open_days/

VIRTUAL TOUR OF SOUTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL

Please refer to link below:
Southampton General Hospital campus tour - University of Southampton

They should tell you quite quickly if they accept certain qualifications. I'll ask. They're not more or less inclined to tell anyone. I suspect they perhaps didn't quite understand your query. I'll ask regarding the GCSE. I assume you did single award then? Only 1 GCSE for science (not 2 or three all bundled together?)

Sorry I didn't mean to pry. I meant what is your application situation, are you resitting over 3 years and looking for unis that will take it? Do you have the GCSEs to back you up for normal medicine?

That sounds like a pretty serious condition that you went through and I am really sorry to hear that. I am not really familiar with the extenuating circumstances for admissions (for exams, yeah but not admission :frown: )

Have you got other options for medicine where they're openly happy about your situation? If not then it could be worth the risk...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vickie89uk
Yes single award howewver contacting schools to see if i can get additional science as an external candidate bht wont know now until september as ots summer holidays. I emailed them askintg if this science is acceptable the awarding body and the syllabus for the course and they said id have to apply before they can answer my question.

It might be me or it might just be a busy time and they cant dedicate time to enquiries at the moment due to going through offers etc. Thank you for yojr help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that regarding the course not the GCSE? Have you asked about that?

Regarding the science GCSE if they is a problem with what i have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanted to know if they accept the GCSE science i have and also whether they'd accept an access course from lambeth college as A levels where i live are not readily available to adults

Posted from TSR Mobile

Southampton said the same to me regarding A levels. They said they Will attach my enquiry to my application, once finalised through UCAS. Every other university manages to answer this sort of enquiry, I don't understand why Southampton can't. Even Oxford answered my questions and Cambridge and UCL but Southampton the closest of my options has been so unhelpful this year, I'm considering applying elsewhere to a university that actually wants to advise prospective students. I also have a friend who has called to ask and she was told to email them, she is on my course, the reply she got to her email as the exact same as mine. Although her enquiry was completely different it's like they just send auto responses.

How are you supposed to know if they'll accept this or that if they wont help advise you. My brother also works as security and visited admissions on my behalf and they told him the same thing. What are you meant to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by auntumn89
Southampton said the same to me regarding A levels. They said they Will attach my enquiry to my application, once finalised through UCAS. Every other university manages to answer this sort of enquiry, I don't understand why Southampton can't. Even Oxford answered my questions and Cambridge and UCL but Southampton the closest of my options has been so unhelpful this year, I'm considering applying elsewhere to a university that actually wants to advise prospective students. I also have a friend who has called to ask and she was told to email them, she is on my course, the reply she got to her email as the exact same as mine. Although her enquiry was completely different it's like they just send auto responses.

How are you supposed to know if they'll accept this or that if they wont help advise you. My brother also works as security and visited admissions on my behalf and they told him the same thing. What are you meant to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the query regarding A levels? It seems strange that they're not answering queries, I can imagine it is quite frustrating! If it is a simple entry requirements question they should be able to answer. If it is a more complicated question of looking into whether or not a particular course is suitable then I can understand a little more.

Also is this also for the BM6 course or the BM5?
What was the query regarding A levels? It seems strange that they're not answering queries, I can imagine it is quite frustrating! If it is a simple entry requirements question they should be able to answer. If it is a more complicated question of looking into whether or not a particular course is suitable then I can understand a little more.

Also is this also for the BM6 course or the BM5?

I planned to apply for BM6 and BM5. I wanted to ask whether they accepted an access course from Sussex downs college or even Lambeth (they previously have accepted this acces course I hear but wanted to confirm) or whether they'd prefer A levels and my response was my enquiry would be attached to my application once received from UCAS. I think this is a straight forward question. I don't know if it's the time of year they are too busy or if this is how it will continue to be but I have to start either way In two weeks and I don't know which path to take. A levels in the Portsmouth area is hard to find for a 21 year old that don't clash and they've not helped me at all. I don't know what to do and left feeling like I might make the wrong decision. I won't know if it's a mistake until I apply which is an awful place to be in and a horrible feeling. I feel worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I planned to apply for BM6 and BM5. I wanted to ask whether they accepted an access course from Sussex downs college or even Lambeth (they previously have accepted this acces course I hear but wanted to confirm) or whether they'd prefer A levels and my response was my enquiry would be attached to my application once received from UCAS. I think this is a straight forward question. I don't know if it's the time of year they are too busy or if this is how it will continue to be but I have to start either way In two weeks and I don't know which path to take. A levels in the Portsmouth area is hard to find for a 21 year old that don't clash and they've not helped me at all. I don't know what to do and left feeling like I might make the wrong decision. I won't know if it's a mistake until I apply which is an awful place to be in and a horrible feeling. I feel worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a very confusing situation and I am sorry that you're not getting anywhere asking. Unfortunately I don't know much about these courses though I would have thought the university would have an "acceptable" and "not acceptable" list. Unless the courses you're enquiring about have changed recently... perhaps it is a new policy to do it this way but it seems unfair to leave applicants so unsure.

The only thing I can think to suggest is to try and escalate your query to a more senior member of staff. If I can I'll speak to the staff I know but this time of year we don't see them often!

We have an open day on the 5th and 6th of Sept. If you're local might be worth popping down and seeing them in person? The admissions team are always in the medicine area for these sort of queries.
That sounds like a very confusing situation and I am sorry that you're not getting anywhere asking. Unfortunately I don't know much about these courses though I would have thought the university would have an "acceptable" and "not acceptable" list. Unless the courses you're enquiring about have changed recently... perhaps it is a new policy to do it this way but it seems unfair to leave applicants so unsure.

The only thing I can think to suggest is to try and escalate your query to a more senior member of staff. If I can I'll speak to the staff I know but this time of year we don't see them often!

We have an open day on the 5th and 6th of Sept. If you're local might be worth popping down and seeing them in person? The admissions team are always in the medicine area for these sort of queries.

Yes I'm in the Portsmouth area. If I attend the open day do you think they would be able to help me with my query more. :smile: thank you. What is a medicine open day like this would be my first.

Thank you for your help I hope to get an answer shortly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I'm in the Portsmouth area. If I attend the open day do you think they would be able to help me with my query more. :smile: thank you. What is a medicine open day like this would be my first.

Thank you for your help I hope to get an answer shortly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would hope so, I would really hope they don't give you the same line as you've had!

It's a whole-university open day. So there will be campus tours and halls tours. Every department will be open but as far as medicine goes there will be a talk by our associate dean and then you're welcome to go to the medicine "area". Unfortunately we don't have a school as such so there is not really much to see in terms of the medical school but there will be lots of current medical students (and usually a graduate or two) in yellow shirts waiting to answer questions. The admissions team are also there and will be giving advice to people who want it! :smile:

It's usually a pretty good day :smile:
I would hope so, I would really hope they don't give you the same line as you've had!

It's a whole-university open day. So there will be campus tours and halls tours. Every department will be open but as far as medicine goes there will be a talk by our associate dean and then you're welcome to go to the medicine "area". Unfortunately we don't have a school as such so there is not really much to see in terms of the medical school but there will be lots of current medical students (and usually a graduate or two) in yellow shirts waiting to answer questions. The admissions team are also there and will be giving advice to people who want it! :smile:

It's usually a pretty good day :smile:

Great I will attend that, I will book my place thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! I am an ex-BM6 (2010/11) nwo BM5 and am more than happy to help out.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/news/seminars/2012/07/bm6_widening_access_to_medicine_summer_school_2012.page

I spotted this the other day - it's a free BM6 taster summer school. Might be worth looking into.

But yeah, any questions I am more than happy to help! <3 Good luck!

Do you definitely need Chemistry at A2 in order to apply to this course.
Original post by PriyaPaul
Do you definitely need Chemistry at A2 in order to apply to this course.

Yes. Very very few universities will consider you for mediicne without chem.
Yes. Very very few universities will consider you for mediicne without chem.

Thank youu
I want to apply for BM6 for 2015 September entry
for GCSE i got 1A* 3A's and 5B's
for AS i got A=bio D=chem CC=psychology and RS ( i want to retake the RS and chem exams during my A2 year)
with a good PS and work experience what are my chances of getting in?:s-smilie:
What did AS did you get?
AS i got A=bio D=chem CC=psychology and RS ( i want to retake the RS and chem exams during my A2 year)
Original post by medicinehope
I want to apply for BM6 for 2015 September entry
for GCSE i got 1A* 3A's and 5B's
for AS i got A=bio D=chem CC=psychology and RS ( i want to retake the RS and chem exams during my A2 year)
with a good PS and work experience what are my chances of getting in?:s-smilie:

Southampton don't look at AS results, just predicted. If you can be predicted BBC or above and then get that you'll be just fine as long as you do well at the interview :smile:

I wouldn't bother with RS. Getting a higher AS grade doesn't make up for missing a grade in A2. We've had someone this year get ACC and an A in an EPQ. Their offer was BBC and the uni have said no. Don't risk stretching yourself too thin for A2.