The Student Room Group

Useful material for Economics

So I will be starting sixth form after the summer, hopefully after getting the required GCSEs, and one of my options is Economics which I will probably do in uni. Therefore I am wondering if anyone could recommend some material to help me learn about the basics or something useful to the A level itself (I am on AQA btw if it helps). This could be books, videos, podcasts etc, as long as it will be useful to me. I know I will be learning about it over the 2 years, however this is a brand new subject and I would like to have some knowledge beforehand so I at least understand some things.

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully you can give me some guidance :smile:
Original post by ozzie2
So I will be starting sixth form after the summer, hopefully after getting the required GCSEs, and one of my options is Economics which I will probably do in uni. Therefore I am wondering if anyone could recommend some material to help me learn about the basics or something useful to the A level itself (I am on AQA btw if it helps). This could be books, videos, podcasts etc, as long as it will be useful to me. I know I will be learning about it over the 2 years, however this is a brand new subject and I would like to have some knowledge beforehand so I at least understand some things.

Thanks for reading this, and hopefully you can give me some guidance :smile:

For a good introduction to economics I like Tim Harford's books, The Undercover Economist (mostly micro stuff) and The Undercover Economist Strikes Back (mostly macro stuff). They're a great introduction to economics as a subject, although they might not always be too relevant to your course. The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heilbroner is a good book about the history of economics - how different ideas developed, and the lives of some famous economists - although that's even less relevant to your course. You should also read the Economist or the FT and the economics section of a good newspaper (the Guardian and the Telegraph are both free online) for news that's relevant to economics.
Reply 2
Original post by username42
For a good introduction to economics I like Tim Harford's books, The Undercover Economist (mostly micro stuff) and The Undercover Economist Strikes Back (mostly macro stuff). They're a great introduction to economics as a subject, although they might not always be too relevant to your course. The Worldly Philosophers by Robert Heilbroner is a good book about the history of economics - how different ideas developed, and the lives of some famous economists - although that's even less relevant to your course. You should also read the Economist or the FT and the economics section of a good newspaper (the Guardian and the Telegraph are both free online) for news that's relevant to economics.

Thanks for the advice will definetly (did I spell that right) check them out.

Also got another question (probably not for this sub forum, buy someone may know the answer) how important is work experience? I searched for some online but it was hard to find any - most were for people in year 12. I will probably get some but was wondering about the importance of it for uni?
Search PajHolden on YouTube and watch his Economics videos. He is great at explaining the theoretical concepts and I can wholeheartedly say he massively helped me achieve my current A level Economics grade.

Quick Reply

Latest