The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:
I'm really hoping to study Biochemistry at York. Anyone else? :biggrin:
My problem is my AS grades. I got AABBD (the D was in Further Maths and I knew that'd be a disaster so I'm dropping it) Trust the two B's to be in none other than Biology and Chemistry, ugh! I know that York is one of the very best in the country for Biochemistry and I've sort of fallen for it after attending the open day in July, but I reckon my chances are incredibly low without A's in those two. I know exactly what I need to do to get them up to A grades, but how exactly do I work those resits (CH2 and BY3) into a personal statement worth serious consideration? Actually I need to ask my teachers more about my BY3; I got a D, and I have no idea where I could've gone so wrong.
Sorry for the long post, I'm stressed. Help?! :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
University of York
York
Reply 21
Original post by pwoperChloe
My problem is my AS grades. I got AABBD (the D was in Further Maths and I knew that'd be a disaster so I'm dropping it) Trust the two B's to be in none other than Biology and Chemistry, ugh! I know that York is one of the very best in the country for Biochemistry and I've sort of fallen for it after attending the open day in July, but I reckon my chances are incredibly low without A's in those two. I know exactly what I need to do to get them up to A grades, but how exactly do I work those resits (CH2 and BY3) into a personal statement worth serious consideration? Actually I need to ask my teachers more about my BY3; I got a D, and I have no idea where I could've gone so wrong.

I am in a similar position too. Opened my results yesterday and started crying because I got a B in History, AND THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO STUDY AT YORK. (I'm 4 off an A. ;( )
As far as I know, you don't have to declare your results at all on UCAS, and there's no point mentioning them in your personal statement cause York will get your predicted A2 grades.
I'm planning to resit my entire History A Level. Like do AS and A2 in one year. It'll be a bit hard, but I'll manage.

Original post by CescaD96
I am in a similar position too. Opened my results yesterday and started crying because I got a B in History, AND THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO STUDY AT YORK. (I'm 4 off an A. ;( )
As far as I know, you don't have to declare your results at all on UCAS, and there's no point mentioning them in your personal statement cause York will get your predicted A2 grades.
I'm planning to resit my entire History A Level. Like do AS and A2 in one year. It'll be a bit hard, but I'll manage.

Sorry guys but you have to declare all your AS level results on your UCAS application, even if it's a B (gasp! But really guys a B is fine). About working your resits into your personal statement; I'd advise against it. Make sure your tutor/subject-teachers are aware of your resits and if you or they feel it is necessary then they will write it into the references they provide for your application. It's better that you focus on the content of the subject and the skills it has provided rather than the resits in your personal statement.

Also, you'll declare that you're resitting on your UCAS application so the admissions staff will be aware without looking at your references.

Don't worry too about it bringing down your application. It barely will. Unis know that a lot of students don't try as well as they should've for their AS year and you will still be able to get offers even with AS levels that aren't as high as you'd like, as long as they're aware you're resitting and your predicted grades are similar to the grades they're asking for.

I applied to York for chemistry last year with AABB in chemistry, computing, maths and psychology, respectively. Although my B wasn't in the subject I wanted to study, I'll still had a B in maths, and maths is very important in the physical sciences. I declared all my AS levels, declared that I was resitting AS maths, was predicted an A in AS maths and in A2 maths and was made an offer of AAA. I had many friends who had done much worse at AS and still made offers at a variety of institutions.

Also, CescaD96; if you're only 4 UMS off an A I doubt you'd need to resit all of AS, probably just the unit you did the weakest in. If you're going for an A*, then you only need 80% overall and 90% in just your A2 modules.

Seriously, it's only a B, you'll both be absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by andyt8765
Sorry guys but you have to declare all your AS level results on your UCAS application, even if it's a B (gasp! But really guys a B is fine). About working your resits into your personal statement; I'd advise against it. Make sure your tutor/subject-teachers are aware of your resits and if you or they feel it is necessary then they will write it into the references they provide for your application. It's better that you focus on the content of the subject and the skills it has provided rather than the resits in your personal statement.

Also, you'll declare that you're resitting on your UCAS application so the admissions staff will be aware without looking at your references.

Don't worry too about it bringing down your application. It barely will. Unis know that a lot of students don't try as well as they should've for their AS year and you will still be able to get offers even with AS levels that aren't as high as you'd like, as long as they're aware you're resitting and your predicted grades are similar to the grades they're asking for.

I applied to York for chemistry last year with AABB in chemistry, computing, maths and psychology, respectively. Although my B wasn't in the subject I wanted to study, I'll still had a B in maths, and maths is very important in the physical sciences. I declared all my AS levels, declared that I was resitting AS maths, was predicted an A in AS maths and in A2 maths and was made an offer of AAA. I had many friends who had done much worse at AS and still made offers at a variety of institutions.

Also, CescaD96; if you're only 4 UMS off an A I doubt you'd need to resit all of AS, probably just the unit you did the weakest in. If you're going for an A*, then you only need 80% overall and 90% in just your A2 modules.

Seriously, it's only a B, you'll both be absolutely fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to remark my module I got the lowest in and then resit it. (thanks to the advice I got from fellow tsr users.) So I just have to make it really clear on ucas that I'm resitting? It'll be in my reference too, probably.
But thanks, really. You've cleared up the ucas stuff. I'm not really sure of it.
I'm going to remark my module I got the lowest in and then resit it. (thanks to the advice I got from fellow tsr users.) So I just have to make it really clear on ucas that I'm resitting? It'll be in my reference too, probably.
But thanks, really. You've cleared up the ucas stuff. I'm not really sure of it.

That's a good idea, the remark might even turn out great! (I got a D in a psychology paper and it got remarked to a B)

Well basically when you're entering your qualifications, you'll enter your AS results for this year, and then you'll also enter AS history again but as a pending qualification, along with your A2s, so they'll know this means you're resitting AS history. They won't know the modules or extent to which you're resitting though, unless you add those details in (which aren't compulsory).

No problem, remember being similarly daunted when I applied last year. If you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by andyt8765
That's a good idea, the remark might even turn out great! (I got a D in a psychology paper and it got remarked to a B)

Well basically when you're entering your qualifications, you'll enter your AS results for this year, and then you'll also enter AS history again but as a pending qualification, along with your A2s, so they'll know this means you're resitting AS history. They won't know the modules or extent to which you're resitting though, unless you add those details in (which aren't compulsory).

No problem, remember being similarly daunted when I applied last year. If you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, your advice is better than the career teachers at my school and the career service of N.I. put together:smile:
Thank you, your advice is better than the career teachers at my school and the career service of N.I. put together:smile:

Hahaha glad to help! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to study Biochemistry with a Year in Europe. Of all the universities I visited York has definitely been my favourite.

Yay I fellow biochem applicant! :h:
Does anyone know if York give unconditional offers?
Original post by Peaches and Cream
Does anyone know if York give unconditional offers?

Afaik only for students who have their A-level results already. I don't think they're playing the same game that Birmingham and other universities are doing.
I hope to study history at York - I looked around the city and loved it :biggrin:
Reply 31
Hi! I'm applying to York this autumn to study History&Philosophy, i'd be so happy to go there! (I'm currently on my Gap Year right now, so i've already got my grades that I'm applying with.)
Original post by mnina19
Hi! I'm applying to York this autumn to study History&Philosophy, i'd be so happy to go there! (I'm currently on my Gap Year right now, so i've already got my grades that I'm applying with.)

Hi fellow Philosophy applicant! I'm applying for Maths & Philosophy :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by twelfthnight
I hope to study history at York - I looked around the city and loved it :biggrin:

Hey, fellow history buddy :smile:
Hey, fellow history buddy :smile:

Hi! :smile:
Hey guys! I'm applying to York to study Law :smile: I'm just a little worried as I achieved ABBB in my AS grades, which is lower than I was predicted. Do you think I still stand a chance of being offered a place?
Original post by littup96
Hey guys! I'm applying to York to study Law :smile: I'm just a little worried as I achieved ABBB in my AS grades, which is lower than I was predicted. Do you think I still stand a chance of being offered a place?

I think you should - do York ask for AAA? Because with ABBB that's still feasible for a2 :smile: just try to get a good personal statement as well I guess, and you should have a good chance :smile:
Original post by twelfthnight
I think you should - do York ask for AAA? Because with ABBB that's still feasible for a2 :smile: just try to get a good personal statement as well I guess, and you should have a good chance :smile:

Yep it's AAA :smile: ok thanks! ready to work insanely hard this year :smile:
Original post by littup96

Work hard this year and you can easily pull those Bs up to an A, maybe even resit a few modules to help :smile:
Wooo fellow biochem applicant haha! The year in Europe sounds brilliant, I've been considering that :smile: so did you go to the open day in July as well? It was so lovely :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending