The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jimbles
When's draft gonna be for the FF? I'm down.

P.S way to school that tit on the previous page lool

3rd September provisionally

P.S My best two posts to him got removed :mad:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm down for drafting whenever. Will probably need a reminder closer to the time though :tongue:
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I think I can do that but it's a bit far away to know if I'm free. I'm not doing anything big that night though

Of course, I appreciate that.

Worst comes to worst and I get back and people can't do that day then we can just start the league from week 2.
Original post by ..DT..
Of course, I appreciate that.

Worst comes to worst and I get back and people can't do that day then we can just start the league from week 2.

Yeah, I don't really mind. This league should be interesting, you guys actually know stuff about football, my other league is about half and half with people who know nothing and people who know football!
Yeah, I don't really mind. This league should be interesting, you guys actually know stuff about football, my other league is about half and half with people who know nothing and people who know football!

I like to think I know stuff about football but I know bugger all about fantasy, All I know is get your RBs in early. I have no idea about waiver wires or anything more nuanced!
Original post by Wattsy
I like to think I know stuff about football but I know bugger all about fantasy, All I know is get your RBs in early. I have no idea about waiver wires or anything more nuanced!

I am quite the same. I could tell you a good amount of stuff about the actual game of football, but fantasy is a mystery land to me!
20:00 EDT is 00:00 UK time so I have no idea why I can't watch the Jags preseason game on Gamepass free trial, this is bugging me

Edit: after 2 years of NFL watching timezones are still killing me, it's only 7:10 for some reason so I have to wait 50 minutes!!!

**** me, the refs had better chill with the flags when we're playing for real, it's literally every frigging play. Crack back block? I don't even know what that is!? Just to highlight this, the Bears were just 3rd and 35 with no sacks on the series.
(edited 9 years ago)
Set up the League:

TSR Fantasy Football

Pass: TSR

on NFL.com. Let me know if you can join it, if not I'll figure out how to invite.
Just looked back through this thread at when the draft was happening. Lot of people (myself included) making fun of the Bortles pick... we may have spoken too soon! The Jaguars don't actually look *awful* this season
Original post by ..DT..
Set up the League:

TSR Fantasy Football

on NFL.com. Let me know if you can join it, if not I'll figure out how to invite.

Pretty sure we need invites, I can't work out how to join it
If people PM me an email address then and I can invite you. Currently I think we have 8(?) interested in the thread. Set up a 10 man league so ideally need 2 more.
We now have 9 owners if everyone who has said they want to play still do. One to go :biggrin:
Just looked back through this thread at when the draft was happening. Lot of people (myself included) making fun of the Bortles pick... we may have spoken too soon! The Jaguars don't actually look *awful* this season

I was mad! I watched him last night though and as much as the Bears 2nd string defence isn't very good at all, he did most things right. The first throw was too low but after that you couldn't really complain.

As much of a fan as I have become though I really can't do with them winning the division; that would screw my divisional champions spread up rather royally and I'd rather have £177-£628 than the Jags in the playoffs.

Re:Fantasy
I got to the join a league page but it's telling me the league ID is invalid
(edited 9 years ago)
Jimmy's still dunking in the preseason at least - 15 yd penalty to be assessed on the kickoff, how drab
(edited 9 years ago)
Jesus all these rule changes. The Eagles Patriots game was a flag fest. Hate it.
It's not rule changes for the most part is it? It's 'points of emphasis' which are the things the refs told the teams they'd be looking to tighten the rules up in the preseason with a view to making the players do them less in the regular season; one of these points is the illegal hands to the face penalty, another is the illegal contact penalty for contact between receiver and defender more than 5 yards down the field.The last one is defensive holding and I thought they called that quite a lot anyway. I didn't watch the Patriots but these are the penalties I've seen the most in the games I've seen and according to ESPN commentators the refs tend to loosen up again in the season proper and there'll be one less official so surely more will be got away with? Here's hoping anyway because 32 flags per game (Saints v Titans) is not what you want to see.

The illegal use of hands one is by far the most annoying, there are like 4+ per game in the current situation and a lot of the time for hardly anything wrong. I guess it's the hardest to adjust to because before it was basically a legitimate tactic until a player facemasked a lineman due to the lax officiating on the rule.
Quick recap if anyone is interested in the 41-14 SEA/SAN game. Apologies now if it reads like a dog, football is on and I can't bebothered proof reading :rolleyes:

Seahawks were looking really good last night, and surprisingly clean (only 3 in the first half) - a few bogus penalties which messed up a pick six for Simon but other than that we seemingly kept on the ref's good side. While the new emphasis will be a massive pain to LOB with a bit of luck it'll calm down during the regular season. We played a few more starters this game than in the Denver exhibition. On the QB end Russell Wilson was neigh on perfect and Pryor, while not getting the numbers in the air did an amazing 44yrd TD run - and in his defense we were playing a rushed offense so it's fair enough he didn't get that rhythm. It's a real shame he's not up to snuff with his throwing, he's got the run threat down to the level of Newton/Kaep.

Robert Turbin had a nice game, first time i've ever seen him get a massive run and not have it called back for holding. Was a joyous moment :godancing: CMike did well but your practically throwing up your heart when he plays, he's the super exciting sexy RB against the (usually) super boring RB but who the coaches can actually trust. Get that ball protection and blocking up to speed then he's going to be something special for us.

Harvin got a few showings and got 4 catches for 31 yards, now that Rice is gone he'll probably be the receiving focus on the team (5 of the 9 first throws were aimed at him), you can see as soon as he's out there with Lynch the field just opens right up for the others and that's without doing much more than vanilla plays. And the O-line wasn't awful! Carp made a real difference with completely destroying the guy on our first TD and Britt/Bailey/Jeanpierre were much stronger (although it's hard to say hwo much is them or that San Diego just weren't particularly great). They got some nice running lanes up and going even without Okung and Unger - Britt seems to be struggling on pass protection but it's a positive start for him, he just needs that consistency.

And Zach Miller is sort of the honorary O-Lineman with how spectacular a blocker he is. Just a shame he's as fast as a golem in a bear trap, as Jacson Bevens so perfectly put it he gets tackled at exactly the point you would get tackled if you were out there. But he can catch balls of his shoe so we'll forgive him :innocent:

Defense was the defense, Avril probably had the best night, followed by LB Schofield (1 sack, 4 QB hits and 2 tackles for a loss) and undrafted LB Brock Coyle is coming out as one of our biggest steals of the draft. Still not massively keen on ET returning punts, he has one fair catch and a 5 yard return so we still haven't got a chance to see if he's worth the risk. Still, depth on defense is insane right now, same with receivers and QBs (it's certainly Wilson/Jackson, the issue just is if we have a 3rd one in Pryor or Daniels). Only real criticism I can level against the D is that you really see the difference between our DB starters and the second/third unit - they're still good mind but if we can get an injury you know they're going to get thrown at and a lot were struggling against extended plays and were getting a few steps behind their man.

And incase anyone cares about the Chargers, I didn't pay that much attention to individual players because, well, bias, but the run D was seemingly the main issue with allowing an avg of 6.6 yrds per carry and from what I could see they didn't tackle well in open field. Rivers didn't play for long (most of their starters played for the first half) but the backup QB Clemons did decently with 14-of-21. I didn't see the secondary much but seeing we scrambled so much I presume they were probably doing a decent job in coverage. San Diego were playing it simple though, we play them week 2 into the season so it looks like they were playing it close to their chest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fuse blows in St Louis taking out the TV coverage and Michael Sam makes a sack in the downtime; here come the conspiracy theorists
Original post by Wattsy
I was mad! I watched him last night though and as much as the Bears 2nd string defence isn't very good at all, he did most things right. The first throw was too low but after that you couldn't really complain.

As much of a fan as I have become though I really can't do with them winning the division; that would screw my divisional champions spread up rather royally and I'd rather have £177-£628 than the Jags in the playoffs.

Re:Fantasy
I got to the join a league page but it's telling me the league ID is invalid

Try follow this:

http://fantasy.nfl.com/registration/privateleaguejoin?leagueId=2570094

That works!

Can I change my name until the draft or do I have to get a good one the first time?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest