The Student Room Group

Medicine

I am currently Year 11 and will be going up to sixth form ( to do my proper A levels) this September.
I took one As level this year (OCR GCE Statistics mei (Z1,Z2 and Z3). I received my result yesterday and found out that I got a B which I am really disappointing. Would this As level will affect my application in the future for medicine at Cambridge University?
Original post by Earth1
I am currently Year 11 and will be going up to sixth form ( to do my proper A levels) this September.
I took one As level this year (OCR GCE Statistics mei (Z1,Z2 and Z3). I received my result yesterday and found out that I got a B which I am really disappointing. Would this As level will affect my application in the future for medicine at Cambridge University?

Probably not that much but I have no idea. Also, join our Y11 thread!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Earth1

Potentially. You'll have to wait for somebody with more knowledge of Cambridge admissions to come along but I know Cambridge are big on UMS (although it may only count for your top 3/4 AS levels). So maybe, maybe not. I'm leaning towards not as you're (presumably) taking 4 AS levels next year, right? So it may only be the UMS from those that they consider and not every single GCE that you've done.
Reply 3
Original post by thechemistress
Potentially. You'll have to wait for somebody with more knowledge of Cambridge admissions to come along but I know Cambridge are big on UMS (although it may only count for your top 3/4 AS levels). So maybe, maybe not. I'm leaning towards not as you're (presumably) taking 4 AS levels next year, right? So it may only be the UMS from those that they consider and not every single GCE that you've done.

Yeah, I will be doing 4 A levels next year (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Thank you:smile:
Why are you going to camb for med? Just because its camb? Thats really not good. All unis for med have the same employment rate. I.e. going for med at leicester will be just as good
Reply 5
Original post by Earth1

Hello,

I am not entirely sure about the Cambridge admissions policy but most schools are fine with early admissions and won't include it as part of your offer because you need to take 4 subjects and then 3 subjects at A2 in one sitting. This would hopefully mean that the B in OCR GCE Statisrics would be not included. I would check their website and admissions policy and see if it needs to be taken in one sitting between year 12 and year 13. But it should not be a problem.

Good luck, tell me what happens :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Earth1
Yeah, I will be doing 4 A levels next year (Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Thank you:smile:

When you apply you will have UMS for these four subjects, plus your BMAt & GCSE A* count (which matters for Medicine) for ranking.

Technically they will include your Stats UMS in your Maths subject average but they also look at you results holistically. If you are getting 94-96%+ in your year 12 exams they will clearly see the Stats as less important. If your AS maths is also around the low eighties it will generate more concern. Several UMS averages are presented including best three and four sciences so if you do well with Bio/Chem/Physics this will be evident too.

If you are convinced you can better 90% in the retakes it is probably worth doing so next year. Your problem is that many applicants for Cambridge take Maths early and get good marks so they don't make too many allowances.
Reply 7
Original post by Colmans
When you apply you will have UMS for these four subjects, plus your BMAt & GCSE A* count (which matters for Medicine) for ranking.

Technically they will include your Stats UMS in your Maths subject average but they also look at you results holistically. If you are getting 94-96%+ in your year 12 exams they will clearly see the Stats as less important. If your AS maths is also around the low eighties it will generate more concern. Several UMS averages are presented including best three and four sciences so if you do well with Bio/Chem/Physics this will be evident too.

If you are convinced you can better 90% in the retakes it is probably worth doing so next year. Your problem is that many applicants for Cambridge take Maths early and get good marks so they don't make too many allowances.

The As level that I have taken will not include in As Matha because It is completely different Course. GCE Statistics have Z1,Z2 and Z3 paper where Aa Maths has C1 C2 S1/M1. Also, Z1Z2Z3 paper are not the same as S1 or S2. So do you think is it going to affect my application?
Reply 8
Original post by Earth1
The As level that I have taken will not include in As Matha because It is completely different Course. GCE Statistics have Z1,Z2 and Z3 paper where Aa Maths has C1 C2 S1/M1. Also, Z1Z2Z3 paper are not the same as S1 or S2. So do you think is it going to affect my application?

Oh ok I assumed you meant S1 etc. in which case I think that is much better for you. Just work really hard at your maths to convince them it's not a worry. I doubt it's a deal breaker but Medicine at Cambridge is fiercely competitive and you have to be the best, not just good enough. Still I think it is all about next years results, not this Stats exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Colmans
Oh ok I assumed you meant S1 etc. in which case I think that is much better for you. Just work really hard at your maths to convince them it's not a worry. I doubt it's a deal breaker but Medicine at Cambridge is fiercely competitive and you have to be the best, not just good enough. Still I think it is all about next years results, not this Stats exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for making me feel so much better! :smile:
Original post by Earth1

I got into Cambridge for medicine, and am going to be a fresher this October.

I did a maths module early in year 11, and I did well enough, I think I got 91/100 UMS. If you got a B, then yes, it will affect you for the next couple years. Cambridge are big on UMS, and if you apply next year they will ask you to put in all the UMS scores you got on all your modules up to that point.

But not all is lost. You can retake next summer and make the score up. You'll have to ask someone else about how that affects your application because I never retook a module. However if you beast all your other modules, you'll have a great chance.

Cambridge look at A level UMS, BMAT scores, your interview and your personal statement (to a smaller degree). Your goal right now should be to spent your next year doing as well as possible on your AS levels. You still have time to make it up.

As I have been in your position I can tell you that it's a long haul, but it's so worth it in the end, even if you don't get into cambridge. So don't give up hope yet!
I personally don't think it would matter too much. It's in a "non-science" subject taken early, so I don't think it would be included in their UMS averages, although you will have to document the score.

Obviously ideally you'd have done better, but if you do very well in your science/maths AS Levels this year, I would think that that is what they will care about, not the Stats subject.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending