The Student Room Group

Importance of Further Maths to an Economics Degree?

I want to do an Economics Degree at Uni and got AAAC in my AS results (Maths, History, Economics, Further Maths).

I got a bbd (FP1, D1, D2) in Further, but is it so important that I should take it over any of my others, and just resit D2 (since FP1 and D1 were mid/high bs making my result a high C)?

Surely finishing with an AAA (or higher) next year is better than AAB, regardless?
Reply 1
Further Maths is ESSENTIAL if you want to study Economics at Graduate Level.

For undergrad not so much, though learning how matrices work would come in very useful in econometrics.
Reply 2
Original post by godd
Further Maths is ESSENTIAL if you want to study Economics at Graduate Level.

For undergrad not so much, though learning how matrices work would come in very useful in econometrics.

Would Unis be wary of accepting me for this reason if I did decide to drop Further?

Would I not be able to teach myself A2 Further, to a basic level, rather than taint my final results that contribute to my offers, or is it so essential that I have to take it regardless?
Except for a very small number of top unis, not having further maths won't be a disadvantage in applying for undergrad economics.
Reply 4
Oxbridge, lse, warwick, ucl.... maybe durham - Even then, further maths at AS can be sufficient for most of these.

Other than that, every other university is open to you so very good places like Exeter, Bath, Nottingham etc. The idea that you NEED further maths to stand a chance is very overrated advice.
Reply 5
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Except for a very small number of top unis, not having further maths won't be a disadvantage in applying for undergrad economics.

Original post by Jkizer
Oxbridge, lse, warwick, ucl.... maybe durham - Even then, further maths at AS can be sufficient for most of these.Other than that, every other university is open to you so very good places like Exeter, Bath, Nottingham etc. The idea that you NEED further maths to stand a chance is very overrated advice.

I would just be at a disadvantage for the very top unis, rather than barely even looked at, right? Would it be a major disadvantage?
(edited 9 years ago)
i am also worried about further maths, i want to go to bristol really badly but i dont do further maths and they say on their website that their degree is very mathematical.
Original post by patrickcromb96
i am also worried about further maths, i want to go to bristol really badly but i dont do further maths and they say on their website that their degree is very mathematical.

Bristol without Further Maths is fine. Its only for places like Camb/LSE that it'll put you at a disadvantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest