The Student Room Group

Adjustment Troubles

I have been trying to get through to Bristol for the last two days via Adjustment but have had considerable trouble. Initially it took 4 hours to get through to them on the phone lines and when i finally did get through they took my UCAS number and said they would me back in a few hours to clarify whether they would accept me or not. They did not call me back and after calling them today apparently they still haven't finished giving adjustment places and I should wait even longer.

Is this normal? I have not been given a verbal offer or rejection and was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position to myself. They have my phone number however I will be calling them in about an hour if they don't get back to me before then. :confused:
Original post by Gangie
I have been trying to get through to Bristol for the last two days via Adjustment but have had considerable trouble. Initially it took 4 hours to get through to them on the phone lines and when i finally did get through they took my UCAS number and said they would me back in a few hours to clarify whether they would accept me or not. They did not call me back and after calling them today apparently they still haven't finished giving adjustment places and I should wait even longer.

Is this normal? I have not been given a verbal offer or rejection and was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position to myself. They have my phone number however I will be calling them in about an hour if they don't get back to me before then. :confused:

It sounds like Bristol are playing a bit of an odd game with adjustment - this is the first year they've been "doing" adjustment in any big way so it's likely that they're not realising that they're being annoying!

Basically, a university would normally give you an offer for adjustment and then if you wanted to accept it you would have to let them know, normally via an email that they send you to confirm. They would normally then add you on adjustment, whereas with clearing it is the other way around and you add them.

What it seems is that Bristol are developing a gathered field of adjustment candidates and will then get back to you after a specific time period. There aren't any rules to say that they can't do this, but it is quite different practice to what other universities generally do, especially if they are taking longer than a day to do it. Whether you do want to wait for them is completely up to you, even if they do get back to you and say they want to offer a place, you don't have to take them up on it. I would ask them exactly when they expect to be making a decision. On their website they are saying "we are now full for 2014 entry" so I would ask them honestly, are they still making any decisions or have they already made the decision. If so can they just say so as then you can get on with looking elsewhere/going to your original firm.

Have you contacted anywhere else? What have they said to you?
Original post by Gangie

As said, this isn't normal practice, but it is allowed. It may be that Bristol underestimated the interest they would receive in adjustment places, and so haven't taken on extra staff to help deal with things.

Do call them back and check what is going on.

You could also contact other universities, if you are interested, while you are waiting for Bristol to decide.
Reply 3
Original post by oxymoronic
It sounds like Bristol are playing a bit of an odd game with adjustment - this is the first year they've been "doing" adjustment in any big way so it's likely that they're not realising that they're being annoying!

Basically, a university would normally give you an offer for adjustment and then if you wanted to accept it you would have to let them know, normally via an email that they send you to confirm. They would normally then add you on adjustment, whereas with clearing it is the other way around and you add them.

What it seems is that Bristol are developing a gathered field of adjustment candidates and will then get back to you after a specific time period. There aren't any rules to say that they can't do this, but it is quite different practice to what other universities generally do, especially if they are taking longer than a day to do it. Whether you do want to wait for them is completely up to you, even if they do get back to you and say they want to offer a place, you don't have to take them up on it. I would ask them exactly when they expect to be making a decision. On their website they are saying "we are now full for 2014 entry" so I would ask them honestly, are they still making any decisions or have they already made the decision. If so can they just say so as then you can get on with looking elsewhere/going to your original firm.

Have you contacted anywhere else? What have they said to you?

I've finally heard back from them and they've offered me a place to study. I accepted to their verbal offer and they've sent me an email which i've also replied to. They said they would update my UCAS after this, but judging by their pace so far I doubt this will be speedy either. It's confirmed though so i'm very pleased, just annoyed it was such a hassle. It seems they gathered all the possible candidates, closed down any new vacancies and then took their pick of their pool. A very odd way of deciding I must say...:rolleyes:
Original post by Gangie
I've finally heard back from them and they've offered me a place to study. I accepted to their verbal offer and they've sent me an email which i've also replied to. They said they would update my UCAS after this, but judging by their pace so far I doubt this will be speedy either. It's confirmed though so i'm very pleased, just annoyed it was such a hassle. It seems they gathered all the possible candidates, closed down any new vacancies and then took their pick of their pool. A very odd way of deciding I must say...:rolleyes:

Congratulations on getting the place! You must be pleased the patience paid off in the end!

It really does seem like they've played adjustment in a very strange way in comparison to other universities. I don't know if this is deliberate on their part as they think this is better or if they just don't really realise that they're doing it different to everyone else and it makes it incredibly difficult for applicants!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending