The Student Room Group

Lower than expected AS for medicine- is this the end?

So for AS i got ABBB which is a lot lower than what i was expecting. My question would be, what should i do, i'm still really interested medicine and would love to apply to med school. What can i do to improve my application and get med unis to seriously consider my application? In terms of get meeting the min requirements I know I need to work hard to get the A2 results i need.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by tal_08
So for AS i got ABBB which is a lot lower than what i was expecting. My question would be, what should i do, i'm still really interested medicine and would love to apply to med school. What can i do to improve my application and get med unis to seriously consider my application? In terms of get meeting the min requirements I know I need to work hard to get the A2 results i need.
Thanks in advance!

What is your breakdown for each subject?
Reply 2
maths- A
biology - B (i got a's in all the written units, but really messed up on the practical, so i'm hoping to retake that next year)
Chemistry - B (i think i just need to work my butt off next year to get an A for this)
computing - B (dropping computing - i had a change of teacher at christmas time and the new teachers had no idea what was going on)
Original post by tal_08
maths- A
biology - B (i got a's in all the written units, but really messed up on the practical, so i'm hoping to retake that next year)
Chemistry - B (i think i just need to work my butt off next year to get an A for this)
computing - B (dropping computing - i had a change of teacher at christmas time and the new teachers had no idea what was going on)

I don't see a problem :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by games211
I don't see a problem :smile:

I kinda have an idea of what i need to do, but i was wondering, do med schools focus on the AS or more on the predictions?
Original post by tal_08
I kinda have an idea of what i need to do, but i was wondering, do med schools focus on the AS or more on the predictions?

They 'say' predictions, but I think they focus more on AS grades :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by games211
They 'say' predictions, but I think they focus more on AS grades :smile:

thanks!
Original post by tal_08

They focus on both, with the importance of each being different for every Medical school. Some will unofficially insist on AAAA at AS level, others are OK with a couple of B's as long as A's are predicted in the end. It depends strongly how far off an A you are - if you're a couple of marks off, they'll be fine, but if you're closer to a C than an A they might worry.

Of course, you could always decide not to apply this year and apply next year when you have your full A level results - then slightly lower AS results don't matter. It's up to you.

Which universities are you looking at?
Reply 8
Original post by LeFailFish
They focus on both, with the importance of each being different for every Medical school. Some will unofficially insist on AAAA at AS level, others are OK with a couple of B's as long as A's are predicted in the end. It depends strongly how far off an A you are - if you're a couple of marks off, they'll be fine, but if you're closer to a C than an A they might worry.

Of course, you could always decide not to apply this year and apply next year when you have your full A level results - then slightly lower AS results don't matter. It's up to you.

Which universities are you looking at?

Manchester, Liverpool, Hull-York and Edinburgh. I found an article about applying to your strengths on tsr so will look at that and maybe change some of these universities depending!
Original post by tal_08
Manchester, Liverpool, Hull-York and Edinburgh. I found an article about applying to your strengths on tsr so will look at that and maybe change some of these universities depending!

I'm not an expert on those universities but I believe you would have a chance... it probably depends on how strong other areas of your application are (personal statement, UKCAT, work experience, etc.)
Reply 10
If you REALLY want to do medicine, you can pick up the slack in your second year. I wanted to do medicine when I first started college because it seemed like an attractive option; but it's a long, hard route and at your age I hadn't really considered the magnitude of the commitment it would be.

Even if you don't get the tip-top grades at A2, you may still get some offers to wait a year and then attend uni. I have a friend who did that. It's no bad thing to take a year out and work.
Reply 11
Original post by Catsic
If you REALLY want to do medicine, you can pick up the slack in your second year. I wanted to do medicine when I first started college because it seemed like an attractive option; but it's a long, hard route and at your age I hadn't really considered the magnitude of the commitment it would be.

Even if you don't get the tip-top grades at A2, you may still get some offers to wait a year and then attend uni. I have a friend who did that. It's no bad thing to take a year out and work.

Thanks i think i'll take a closer look and see how i can improve if i don't get offers!
Reply 12
Original post by LeFailFish
I'm not an expert on those universities but I believe you would have a chance... it probably depends on how strong other areas of your application are (personal statement, UKCAT, work experience, etc.)

Yeah, i'm looking at which universities would be the best for me and apply accordingly.
Thanks for the help!
First, you need to be predicted AAA to apply to most places, so talk to your tutors. The hard part is actually getting AAA after getting ABB AS. I managed it, so its possible. UKCAT is also quite important.
Reply 14
Original post by Presidential
First, you need to be predicted AAA to apply to most places, so talk to your tutors. The hard part is actually getting AAA after getting ABB AS. I managed it, so its possible. UKCAT is also quite important.

Thanks for the advice, yeah i think i just need to work hard and get the grades!
You've still got a really good chance, as long as your UKCAT goes well. I got a B in my chemistry AS and an A* in the A2 because I worked my ass off.
Edinburgh I'd avoid if you haven't got all A's at AS level.

But for most med schools, you just need AAA predictions and at least a B in the fourth AS you drop.
A medical school application also includes GCSEs, personal statement (voluntary work, work exp, extracurriculars, motivation, insight into medicine), admissions exam (UKCAT/BMAT but not for Liverpool, B'ham, Bristol, Lancaster), reference, and interview.
Does anyone know if you have to take chemsestry to become a doctor ? Only that i haven't taken chemestry but i've took biology, modern studies, history, admin and i.t maths and English, will i still be able to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor ? x
Reply 18
Original post by jadehenry042699
Does anyone know if you have to take chemsestry to become a doctor ? Only that i haven't taken chemestry but i've took biology, modern studies, history, admin and i.t maths and English, will i still be able to achieve my dream of becoming a doctor ? x

Take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

There are some unis that are okay with you not taking chem like east anglia! You should look at medicine with foundation year if that applies to you!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest