The Student Room Group

Should I retake year 12?

Hello all. I need some impartial advice. I got my As Level results yesterday and was disappointed with them. This is what I got:
ICT: C
Physics: E
Biology: E
Chemistry: U
EPQ: A (don't worry about this- but that's 60 tariff points)

The Sixth form gave me one option. Resit the whole year again but with three AS levels. The reason was because I didn't meet my target grades a stupid system that should be ignored. My target grades were three D's for the sciences and a C for ICT (which I achieved).

Now If I would have got d's in Physics and Biology I would have been able to do A2 on the condition that I retake them at the same time. Chemistry would have been dropped.

So What do I do now? Retake the year at the same school or go to a different one? Completely change the A levels and What I want to do even know ALL I've ever wanted to do was a degree in science. Drop out and find a job?
Or try to find a science apprenticeship and start of at the bottom? Or do something completely different like Property Development?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelpusPleasus
Hello all. I need some impartial advice. I got my As Level results yesterday and was disappointed with them. This is what I got:

The Sixth form gave me one option. Resit the whole year again but with three AS levels. The reason was because I didn't meet my target grades a stupid system that should be ignored. My target grades were three D's for the sciences and a C for ICT (which I achieved).

Now If I would have got d's in Physics and Biology I would have been able to do A2 on the condition that I retake them at the same time. Chemistry would have been dropped.

So What do I do now? Retake the year at the same school or go to a different one? Completely change the A levels and What I want to do even know ALL I've ever wanted to do was a degree in science. Drop out and find a job?
Or try to find a science apprenticeship and start of at the bottom? Or do something completely different like Property Development?

Retake the year seems the best option?
Original post by games211
Retake the year seems the best option?

But at the same school that always seem to not care or bother with me or a different one? What about college?
But at the same school that always seem to not care or bother with me or a different one? What about college?

If you go to another school, will you be studying the same board?
Original post by games211
If you go to another school, will you be studying the same board?

Probably though I have no idea? Would the school allow me to do 3 as levels and A2 ICt?
Probably though I have no idea? Would the school allow me to do 3 as levels and A2 ICt?

You should email, phone and check if the boards match? and probably..
Reply 6
I'd retake the year
Reply 7

If you have your heart set on a science degree, and aren't happy with your current school, your best option is probably to find a local college. They may well allow you to do A2 IT at the same time as resitting your AS levels, so if you continued all 3 sciences, you could potentially end up with 4 complete A-levels. Or you could drop chemistry and end up with 3. I don't think you should give up on your dreams, although obviously it's up to you, but I think if you're prepared to put the work in, you should be able to pull your grades up and get into uni to do a science-related degree. Good luck!
What happens if I retake the year and fail again?

If I were you, I would retake the year (probably at the same school unless you can find a school that will accept you this late. Many will no longer be accepting students). Chemistry is your weakest subject so you could always forget it at this stage and take a different subject - e.g. Maths - as unless you want to study Chemistry you will be able to study science at university without it.

As to if you fail again, at that point you should be considering if a science degree would really suit you - you may be better off taking a vocational course at college in something science-related and going from there.
Original post by LeFailFish
If I were you, I would retake the year (probably at the same school unless you can find a school that will accept you this late. Many will no longer be accepting students). Chemistry is your weakest subject so you could always forget it at this stage and take a different subject - e.g. Maths - as unless you want to study Chemistry you will be able to study science at university without it.

As to if you fail again, at that point you should be considering if a science degree would really suit you - you may be better off taking a vocational course at college in something science-related and going from there.

I'm thinking that's the best option. Like I said before I would have dropped Chemistry if I could have carried on. Don't mention the M word. I had an argument last year about doing that for As. I'm glad I didn't but alas that's a different story.
If I didn't do chemistry I don't know what degree I would do. I can't do anything Physics because of no maths. Computer science/ ICT/engineering courses are also out. I had wanted to do biology/ chemistry so Biochemistry or Biomedical science but You would need the chemistry.
Reply 11
The way I see it, you have three options.

1) Retake the year on the same subjects; something I would only advise if you really think you'd be able to pull your grades up. If you want to get a degree in science you would need to be hitting A's and B's for a university to accept you, so you would have to think about whether or not you think it would be viable for you pull off.

2) Retake the year and pick different subjects; it would allow you to explore a variety of different things. You're young, and at 17 it's easy to think you know what you want to do but, when you really get down to it, that may not be something you're completely capable of. Everyone has their educational limitations.

3) Get an apprenticeship or internship, or take a vocational course. They're poorly paid but can be very useful at showing your hard work and dedication outside of the academic. You did fairly well in ICT, perhaps look into something like web development.

To put things in perspective; I wanted to be a doctor when I left school, but I quickly realised I wasn't up to scratch during college and became somewhat wayward, flipping from studying things I thought would get me into medical school to things I enjoyed; and I had a lot more fun. I left college with 3AS levels and 3A levels and went right in to work. During night shifts, I taught myself programming and became interested in the world of business, and eventually went to uni at 21. I recently graduated with a Business & Computer Science joint honors degree and am on a pretty decent graduate scheme. Things work out.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm thinking that's the best option. Like I said before I would have dropped Chemistry if I could have carried on. Don't mention the M word. I had an argument last year about doing that for As. I'm glad I didn't but alas that's a different story.
If I didn't do chemistry I don't know what degree I would do. I can't do anything Physics because of no maths. Computer science/ ICT/engineering courses are also out. I had wanted to do biology/ chemistry so Biochemistry or Biomedical science but You would need the chemistry.

Something else to bear in mind is that your original target grades (CDDD) would not have allowed you to study science, even if you had converted them to BCCd after A2. Science degrees tend to ask for minimum BBC and can go as high as A*A*A. At this stage, I would advise forgetting a straight science degree and going for something tangentially related - unless you really believe that you can achieve above your original targets by doing retakes.

What are your other interests? There are plenty of Technology-related courses that you could go into with ICT.
Original post by LeFailFish
Something else to bear in mind is that your original target grades (CDDD) would not have allowed you to study science, even if you had converted them to BCCd after A2. Science degrees tend to ask for minimum BBC and can go as high as A*A*A. At this stage, I would advise forgetting a straight science degree and going for something tangentially related - unless you really believe that you can achieve above your original targets by doing retakes.

What are your other interests? There are plenty of Technology-related courses that you could go into with ICT.

I have no idea what I could realistically hope to achieve without talking to teachers. I could just work really hard and hope I do much better but Am I being Delusional? I always have the opinion that you should try and fail than not try at all.
As to other interests I love ICT being on a computer most of the time. I'm starting to learn coding and I have considered doing it just for fun or extra money. I did want to do 3d animation as a hobby as well as Photoshop. But again I'm guessing you need a degree to do these things professionally. What about Freelancing?
I have no idea what I could realistically hope to achieve without talking to teachers. I could just work really hard and hope I do much better but Am I being Delusional? I always have the opinion that you should try and fail than not try at all.
As to other interests I love ICT being on a computer most of the time. I'm starting to learn coding and I have considered doing it just for fun or extra money. I did want to do 3d animation as a hobby as well as Photoshop. But again I'm guessing you need a degree to do these things professionally. What about Freelancing?

I think speaking to a teacher would be a good plan at this point. Perhaps you could email them your concerns?

I'm afraid I don't know very much about computing careers but I'm sure someone else on here does!
Original post by Catsic
The way I see it, you have three options.

1) Retake the year on the same subjects; something I would only advise if you really think you'd be able to pull your grades up. If you want to get a degree in science you would need to be hitting A's and B's for a university to accept you, so you would have to think about whether or not you think it would be viable for you pull off.

2) Retake the year and pick different subjects; it would allow you to explore a variety of different things. You're young, and at 17 it's easy to think you know what you want to do but, when you really get down to it, that may not be something you're completely capable of. Everyone has their educational limitations.

3) Get an apprenticeship or internship, or take a vocational course. They're poorly paid but can be very useful at showing your hard work and dedication outside of the academic. You did fairly well in ICT, perhaps look into something like web development.

To put things in perspective; I wanted to be a doctor when I left school, but I quickly realised I wasn't up to scratch during college and became somewhat wayward, flipping from studying things I thought would get me into medical school to things I enjoyed; and I had a lot more fun. I left college with 3AS levels and 3A levels and went right in to work. During night shifts, I taught myself programming and became interested in the world of business, and eventually went to uni at 21. I recently graduated with a Business & Computer Science joint honors degree and am on a pretty decent graduate scheme. Things work out.

1. I have no idea what I could realistically hope to achieve without talking to teachers. I could just work really hard and hope I do much better but Am I being Delusional? I always have the opinion that you should try and fail than not try at all.

2. That's been suggested by both the school and my family but I don't particularly want to. Maybe Geography and History but after that I'm stuck. Like I said to them why do something I don't enjoy or want to do and then end up doing a degree I didn't want to do or enjoy?

3. Funny you should mention Web development. I have considered doing that for fun/ extra money. I'm learning code and then thought I would learn HTMl. I do also do Photoshop and want to do 3d animation in my spare time. Where and how do an apprentice scheme work? I've never really looked into it.
Reply 16
I'm starting to learn coding and I have considered doing it just for fun or extra money. I did want to do 3d animation as a hobby as well as Photoshop. But again I'm guessing you need a degree to do these things professionally. What about Freelancing?

It sounds like you're trying to put quite a lot on your plate. It's ok to have lots of interests and hobbies but you need to know which ones can become careers.

I have a friend who did digital design at uni, works as a graphic designer now and he's been learning how to 3D model in his spare time. You don't need a degree but it's a very competitive industry so it helps.

In this situation, I would retake the year.

However, if you feel like you could be better doing a different course, like a btec, that might be the better option :yep:
Original post by Catsic
It sounds like you're trying to put quite a lot on your plate. It's ok to have lots of interests and hobbies but you need to know which ones can become careers.

I have a friend who did digital design at uni, works as a graphic designer now and he's been learning how to 3D model in his spare time. You don't need a degree but it's a very competitive industry so it helps.

When I say I want to do these things or am doing them it really is just thoughts and the briefest looks. I will get to do them properly but not right now. I just worry about the competition and being out of work for a long time.
I was in a similar situation and it all ended up well for me.

Might want to read my experience http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2792305

Quick Reply

Latest