The Student Room Group

Chinese vs Chinese Studies at University

I am interested in applying for a French - Chinese course but some universities say that they have 'Chinese' and some 'Chinese Studies'. Can someone explain to me the difference? And is one better than the other? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Joanna211
I am interested in applying for a French - Chinese course but some universities say that they have 'Chinese' and some 'Chinese Studies'. Can someone explain to me the difference? And is one better than the other? Thank you :smile:

Hey, I'm applying for Chinese studies/Chinese. And they're pretty much the same, its just what different universities call their course. Each university course is slightly different however, even if they call it "Chinese". For example, the course at Manchester explicitly says Chinese (modern), and at the open day they basically told us if you're interested in ancient history, we are not the place for you. Whereas oxford and cambridge and i think edinburgh have several modules on more ancient history you can choose from! (I hope this sort of makes sense ahah :smile:)
So yeah, just look up the individual courses, how they are different, and just see which ones suit your interest!
Original post by Joanna211

it's just what different unis call their courses. none is explicitly better that the other

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending