The Student Room Group

Do Oxford see your UMS?

Well do they ? :confused:
Yes.
O, but if you have particularly high ums you can ask your teacher to mention that In your preference:smile:
No....only Cambridge ask for them. If you do particularly well though, your teachers can mention it on your reference.
Reply 4
Original post by Artfanatic
Well do they ? :confused:

No

Original post by LeFailFish
Yes.

This is wrong - it's Cambridge that asks for them.
Reply 5
Original post by TheTechN1304
No....only Cambridge ask for them. If you do particularly well though, your teachers can mention it on your reference.

Do we get to see our reference or not? Or is it at the choice of who is writing it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Original post by smile:D
No

This is wrong - it's Cambridge that asks for them.

Oh my mistake - I thought it was Oxbridge in general. Sorry!
Do we get to see our reference or not? Or is it at the choice of who is writing it.

You wouldn't normally get to, but whoever is writing it might show you.

If you really, really want to see it, then under the Data Protection Act you are entitled to see it - you have to pay UCAS £10 for this though.
Reply 8

Most places will let you see them before they're sent off. Otherwise you can send a request to UCAS and see it afterwards.
Reply 9
Original post by fluteflute
You wouldn't normally get to, but whoever is writing it might show you.

If you really, really want to see it, then under the Data Protection Act you are entitled to see it - you have to pay UCAS £10 for this though.

Ah right, that is good to know then. I have literally no clue about the reference so I will be interested to know what my headteacher can write about me given that he hardly interacts with us - but I am sure they won't be negative.
No but you can gloat if you want :biggrin:
My ums scores were okay - over 80% but only 2 were over 90%. If I don't mention my ums scores will Oxford care or are they really not that bothered about ums? I know they don't want them but if lots of other people mention them will they think I'm hiding anything?
Original post by twelfthnight
My ums scores were okay - over 80% but only 2 were over 90%. If I don't mention my ums scores will Oxford care or are they really not that bothered about ums? I know they don't want them but if lots of other people mention them will they think I'm hiding anything?

They won't particularly care. But you may as well get your teacher to write in your reference something like "X averaged 93% in Chemistry and 91% in Maths".

Obviously having really high UMS gives you an edge over others, but for Oxford I really think it is just that, an edge. So of course they'll probably know that you maybe didn't get 95%+ average or whatever but that won't kill your application; they re much more bothered about entrance exam than AS marks, and of course the interview :smile:

Only Cambridge ask for ums. For oxford, an A is an A, no matter how high or low -- they don't find out. Obviously if you did amazingly in one subject then your teachers could write it on your reference, but other than that they don't know your ums, nor do they care

Normally no...the person writing it might decide to show it to you though.
Yes.

Hey I emailed Oxford today due to disappointing AS results (AABB, I had been predicted AAAA after getting 10a*s at GCSE) and received the most encouraging email from the history faculty! I hope this cheers up everyone who felt they did better at GCSE than at AS!

"Dear Esme

Oxford does not assess your AS scores in our Admissions process in any way (except that they must be good enough for you to feasibly get three As at A2).

We use a combination of your History Aptitude Test score (70%) and your GCSE score (calculated as the number of A*s you got at GCSE contextualized by your school's GCSE performance - 30%) to decide whether or not to invite you for interview. Then you are the assessed on the following elements of your performance:
30% HAT 30% GCSE score 30% interview score 10% submitted written work score.
It's Cambridge that scrutinizes your individual ums scores.

The standard minimum offer for any History degree at Oxford is AAA. It's very nice if you do better than that, but AAA is all that's required for you to take up a conditional offer of a place. It should be possible for you to go on to get three As at A2 from your best three subjects at AS. So yes, it is definitely still worth applying.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes
Andrea

Dr Andrea Hopkins

Admissions/Schools Liaison
History Faculty
University of Oxford"
Yes.

Does UMS include the controlled assessment of just the test?
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Does UMS include the controlled assessment of just the test?

Every unit, including those that aren't exams
Original post by fluteflute
Every unit, including those that aren't exams

Thank you, I think that is what will bring my GCSE's down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending